Arugula?

I've noticed that SkinnyTaste.com has arugula in quite a few recipes. I've never tried arugula, so I'm wondering if I should buy it or just substitute it for something else. I'm not a big vegetable/lettuce person, but I don't mind baby spinach (or romaine, if it's covered in Caesar dressing).

I know none of you can tell me if I'll like the taste of something, but if someone could describe what the flavor of arugula is like, I'd be grateful. I read somewhere that it's bitter - an aversion to bitterness is why I can't eat Greek yogurt by itself, so if it is, I'd rather not waste my money.

Also, would baby spinach be a good substitute for arugula? Any other possibilities?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    I've noticed that SkinnyTaste.com has arugula in quite a few recipes. I've never tried arugula, so I'm wondering if I should buy it or just substitute it for something else. I'm not a big vegetable/lettuce person, but I don't mind baby spinach (or romaine, if it's covered in Caesar dressing).

I know none of you can tell me if I'll like the taste of something, but if someone could describe what the flavor of arugula is like, I'd be grateful. I read somewhere that it's bitter - an aversion to bitterness is why I can't eat Greek yogurt by itself, so if it is, I'd rather not waste my money.

Also, would baby spinach be a good substitute for arugula? Any other possibilities?
    Everything is a good substitute for arugula unless you like greens that taste like sweaty feet.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Arugula (also known as rocket, which is RAD) taste peppery, not bitter. It has a nice bite, a firm texture (firmer than spinach for sure) and it is paired really well with a light lemony dressing or some parmesan if you want to try it first without mixing into other dishes. I LOVE a bed of arugula with a little olive oil and fresh lemon juice as a pair for my chicken cutlets/pork cutlets.
    I think you should try it! If you have a farmers market near you, they will likely let you have a taste before you buy a whole bunch.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I've never thought of arugula as bitter. It has a little bit of a peppery taste to it. I like it, but not sweaty feet. Of course, I've never tried to eat sweaty feet, so maybe I would.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    I love arugula. Definitely peppery, but it is delicious. This week I am mixing it with kale and spinach, wilting it in a little coconut oil then serving it with roasted kabocha (japanese pumpkin). It's the bomb-diggity!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I do think arugula is on the bitter side. I actually do like it, but it's probably my least favorite green and I prefer it alongside other greens (like the spinach and lettuce(s) you mentioned).

I would recommend testing it out before you prepare a whole big salad/recipe with it, but that's just me!