Damn pills....

Options
I know that I have posted before about this but I am just SOOOOOOOO frustrated with what these antidepressants have done to my metabolism.

This Cymbalta has killed, killed, killed my ability to shed pounds.

I log, and exercise and log and drink water...........and it barely budges.

Makes me SOOOOOOOO mad.

Replies

• TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor about Wellbutrin, it has been helpful to alot of people for weight loss as well as helping w/ depression.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how frustrating it can be I gained 40lbs in 3 months because of meds. Just hang in there it will come off. maybe you should ask your dr if there is something else you can take........
  • ashleyjea1985
    Options
    Try not eating the calories myfitnesspal gives you from excercising for a little while..

antidepressets do hurt your metabolism BUT if your caloric intake it low you will lose weight regardless. your arent doingsomething right

are you counting calories for even SMALL bites of foods and tastings??
    are you counting calories or extras like mayo, ketchup, mustard, dressing

is your exercise equiptment giving the right calorie readoffs?

try not eating the extra calories this dairy gives you for working out-- you should see a difference
  • barbosa22
    barbosa22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My wife is on Zoloft, Abilify, and Lithium. She doesn't really have an appetite. But she hasn't lost any weight. I think she is not eating enough. Sucks to have to be on pills though.
  • pamelasusan
    pamelasusan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor about Wellbutrin, it has been helpful to alot of people for weight loss as well as helping w/ depression.

I take that too. It obviously doesn't counter the damn Cymbalta! :mad:
  • pamelasusan
    Options
    My wife is on Zoloft, Abilify, and Lithium. She doesn't really have an appetite. But she hasn't lost any weight. I think she is not eating enough. Sucks to have to be on pills though.

My son is Autistic and takes Abilify and Zoloft and when he first started he put on a lot of weight. He has a HUGE appetite. He's eating me out of house and home. :laugh:
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Look into Celexa. I am on that. The first 6 months I was on it I dropped 40lbs. Then it tapered off but I havent gained it back.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia and take Savella. It is part of a class of anti-depressants used to treat FM. I had dropped 9 pounds when I first started taking it. By the time I got to the full dose I was up to 130 and that hasn't budged at all. My clothes fit better but I think that is from the exercising (I have to be careful with that too).

I tried to stop taking it in hopes that it wasn't FM (and it's soooo expensive). During that time I dropped 3 pounds but then the pain came back so I had to start taking it.

I know I'm not really heavy (5'2" and 130) but I want so much to drop my body fat % and the meds are making it hard.
  • pamelasusan
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia and take Savella. It is part of a class of anti-depressants used to treat FM. I had dropped 9 pounds when I first started taking it. By the time I got to the full dose I was up to 130 and that hasn't budged at all. My clothes fit better but I think that is from the exercising (I have to be careful with that too).

I tried to stop taking it in hopes that it wasn't FM (and it's soooo expensive). During that time I dropped 3 pounds but then the pain came back so I had to start taking it.

I know I'm not really heavy (5'2" and 130) but I want so much to drop my body fat % and the meds are making it hard.

I just looked up Savella and it's in the same class as Cymbalta and Effexor. An SNRI.
    They are not weight loss freinds at all.....and SOOOOOOOOO expensive even with insurance.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options

My son is Autistic and takes Abilify and Zoloft and when he first started he put on a lot of weight. He has a HUGE appetite. He's eating me out of house and home. :laugh:

Oh man I was on zoloft a few years ago for anxiety and ooooooo momma I gained weight like WHOA! I was hungry allllll the time( it makes you hungry allll the time) I would eat 2 dinners and then I didnt care that i was getting fat because the medicine made me not care!
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I took Zoloft for about 5 years and recently switched to Cymbala about 3 months ago. I haven't noticed a change in my weight or appetite. At first it was surpressed and I lost about 9lbs. but since then I've just been normal. I know people say certain things about those kinds of meds and birth control pills, but I've never had that happen. Could be worth asking your doctor about
  • Jess814
    Options

Oh man I was on zoloft a few years ago for anxiety and ooooooo momma I gained weight like WHOA! I was hungry allllll the time( it makes you hungry allll the time) I would eat 2 dinners and then I didnt care that i was getting fat because the medicine made me not care!

My best friend is on Zoloft. She has gained about ten pounds in around 4 months which actually, I believe, isn't a whole lot on that pill. But she also works out more than anyone I know and eats very small portion sized meals. I'm very proud of her because her depression is getting better and she's starting to get a hold of her weight at the same time.