Help! Chinese Restaurant tonight!

Options
A good friend is coming over later today and we're going for Chinese food. Any ideas on what would be good choices?

Replies

• lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I had Chinese food last weekend and managed to avoid all the battered and deep fried smothered in fat sauce food. There was a group of us so each picked a dish and split it. We started with wonton soup and we split pot stickers (asked for them to be boiled not fried), a spicy shrimp dish, mixed veggie stir fry, and the most fattening thing was the duck dish. But all and all the calories were pretty good. The best part, I didn't feel over full afterwards, no msg headache and I really enjoyed it!
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I try not to get anything fried ... that includes the rice. I also try to avoid noodles when I can.

There are dishes with meat and veggies. Ask for the sauce on the side. Most places will do that! That way you can add the amount you want.

Be wary of adding soy sauce ... aye aye aye.

& drink a lot of water since all chinese food is pretty high in sodium.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Chicken and broccoli if you like broccoli and they dont put any sauce with it. Pepper steak maybe. When ordering something just ask the waiter if it comes with a sauce and ask them for no sauce if possible or add it to the side. If you havent eaten lunch just skip it for the day and make the calories up for tonight. Stay away from the breaded things too. Might be good to familiarize yourself with foods more. For instance panda express has a cup of orange chicken being 440 calories so I look at any food that I think maybe similar and I just estimate.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I would get...

Crab rangoon
    Scallion pancakes
    Some yummy shrimp dish with rice
    And matcha icecream o:

And then log it and move on with my life.
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Preparation is key! Whenever I plan to go out to eat, I look at the menu and see if I can find the items I like on our database or another website. Some restaurants actually post nutrition information on their websites now. If I can't find nutrition info, I have actually called restaurants and asked them about ingredients and preparation techniques for the dishes I'd like to order. With all that done, I can walk into a restaurant knowing what I'm going to order and how much it's going to cost me, nutrition & calorie wise.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My go to Chinese restaurant meal: egg drop soup & steamed chicken and veggies.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Preparation is key! Whenever I plan to go out to eat, I look at the menu and see if I can find the items I like on our database or another website. Some restaurants actually post nutrition information on their websites now. If I can't find nutrition info, I have actually called restaurants and asked them about ingredients and preparation techniques for the dishes I'd like to order. With all that done, I can walk into a restaurant knowing what I'm going to order and how much it's going to cost me, nutrition & calorie wise.

This. In Illinois, they passed a law that restaurants have to supply you their nutritional information. I don't think it is in effect yet, but a lot of places are moving forward with this. If they don't have it online, like this poster said, you can ask. Idk about Chinese places as often these are managed by immigrant chinese workers and you may have a language barrier.

But for future ... definitely plan ahead of time :)
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I go to my favorite Chinese restaurant almost weekly. I usually get a bowl of egg drop soup and a cup of fried rice (I have a collapsible measuring cup I keep in my purse; yes, a scale is more accurate but not as easy to carry around!). Also a pot of hot tea, and I drink the whole thing. The meal is a little more caloric than my usual dinners but not by much. I still lose on the weeks I eat there. Oh, and I always have the fortune cookie, but I usually forget to log it. :-)
  • mumfy23
    mumfy23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hot and sour soup, steamed shrimp and veggies - sauce on the side. that is my standard order. As others have said, you can ask for the sauce on the side for most dishes.
  • akarras823
    Options
    Chicken with Broccoli or Beef with Broccoli. Ask if you can get the sauce on the side and dip... you'll eat less that way. I did this a few weeks ago and it was very satisfying. But, whatever you do, DON'T weigh in the next morning. The sodium will tack on water weight and you'll probably go up a pound or two.
  • jakeyuma
    jakeyuma Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Get the Mongolion Grill if they have one. Load up on Chicken, vegies, noodles. Yummmm!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Linda8989
    Linda8989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas! Thank you!! I'll be ready for tonight.