Weight loss incapable?

Options
Hello all,
I haven't ever written in a forum before but I really need some advice. I am 32 years old am 5'8" and weigh 210 on average. This average has been stable since January when I really started paying attention. I have worked out regularly and am a generally active person. Hiking, jogging, cycling etc. I go to the gym and do weight routines 5 days a week and participate in spin class 2-3 x a week. I eat fresh home prepared meals regularly eating out only 1-2 times per week. My caloric intake is 1300-1500 on average. I have tried lo-carb however it makes me brain dead and super irritable and I won't do that. I also won't reduce my calories to an absurd #. I am just frustrated. I figured in nearly 4 mos I would see a greater difference in my weight.
Any advice or others in the same boat?!

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale?

You could probably be eating more.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale?

You could probably be eating more.

Yes and yes. I am 5'2, 167# and I'm eating a MINIMUM of 1500 calories/day. I go for daily walks and lift 3x/week.... so if you're doing all that working out and with your stats you should DEFINATELY be eating more than I do. Also, I was losing only about 1/2 lb/week until I started weighing my food.... I've lost 2.5# in the last week since starting to weigh (knock on wood!) Either it's a fluke... or I was GROSSLY under-estimating my calories. Good luck!
  • lzlsk
    lzlsk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Have you read "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman?
  • skinnypryncess
    Options
    I don't use a food scale often. I cook for a family of 5 and we attempt to eat together. I do measure the quantities I consume by cups tbsp etc.
  • skinnypryncess
    Options
    So I should be increasing my caloric intake? But use a scale to make sure I am eating what I think I am?
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    So I should be increasing my caloric intake? But use a scale to make sure I am eating what I think I am?

Yep. I was always eyeballing saying... hm.. I think that's 6oz of chicken and when I started weighing I realized 6oz of chicken is A LOT LESS than what I thought it was. I weigh everything now.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options

Scales are pretty inexpensive. Get a digital one. It's easier. You can just stick the plate on there and add food...boom.

It's the most accurate way especially when starting out.

I eat 1700 ... so I would imagine you can eat more too!
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Yep. I was always eyeballing saying... hm.. I think that's 6oz of chicken and when I started weighing I realized 6oz of chicken is A LOT LESS than what I thought it was. I weigh everything now.

^^^^ this

I thought I was drinking 175ml of Red Wine ..... but it was 300ml....

That 25g of Nuts ..... was 40g.....

Weigh Weigh Weigh .........
  • skinnypryncess
    Options

Scales are pretty inexpensive. Get a digital one. It's easier. You can just stick the plate on there and add food...boom.

It's the most accurate way especially when starting out.

I eat 1700 ... so I would imagine you can eat more too!

Thanks for the info! I will be getting one today!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I even weigh my peanut butter!! The more precise you can dial down the calorie content, the more likely you are to be hitting the numbers you want. A TBS of peanut butter, the way I would load it was WAY heavier than it was supposed to be!! All those extra calories just looking for a home on my butt!!!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Are you allergic/intolerant of any foods? I have big time issues with yeast and sugar and I find that limiting them is really helpful. 1500 cals/day of bread isn't the same as 1500 cals of veggies (in the way my body digests it). But that's just me.

Also... I know you already mix up your work outs, but have you tried HIIT? I have been overweight for about 25 of the 29 years of my life and what finally got me out of the 200s was running. Try using a HRM (you can get the watch kind until you get serious about it and want the band kind) and see if adding intervals or heavy duty (but limited) steady state cardio helps.

Good luck!
  • MzHornedOne
    MzHornedOne Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A food scale will help tremendously! Also, if you're lifting you may need to eat more like 1800 calories a day.
  • Tight_Fit
    Tight_Fit Posts: 453
    Options
    Hello all,
    I haven't ever written in a forum before but I really need some advice. I am 32 years old am 5'8" and weigh 210 on average. This average has been stable since January when I really started paying attention. I have worked out regularly and am a generally active person. Hiking, jogging, cycling etc. I go to the gym and do weight routines 5 days a week and participate in spin class 2-3 x a week. I eat fresh home prepared meals regularly eating out only 1-2 times per week. My caloric intake is 1300-1500 on average. I have tried lo-carb however it makes me brain dead and super irritable and I won't do that. I also won't reduce my calories to an absurd #. I am just frustrated. I figured in nearly 4 mos I would see a greater difference in my weight.

It's possible you're eating more than you think, or you may not be working it hard enough at the gym.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    A low carb diet has different meaning to different people.
    SO I feel the same way as you do when I eat low carb.. but I raised it up to 100 grams..
    Why not raise your carb levels so you can function?
    Do you use an HRM? you should monitor how many calories you burn.
    Do you use food scale/MFP to keep track of your food? if not, how do you really know your eating 1500 calories?
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It's as simple as calories in vs. calories out for most people. Get a food scale and weigh everything. There's a video on youtube and a person shows the difference between using "cups" or food vs weighing the item.. You could EASILY be eating an extra 100-500 calories a day.
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love how the first response is ALWAYS to eat more. So she's not losing because she is eating too little AND eating more than she thinks so she needs a food scale?? Lol

Anyway...most probable you aren't losing because you are eating more than you think, I'd go with the advice of the scale.

Do you have 'free days"? If so this could also be contributing to no scale movement (nothing wrong with free day, but if you are consuming more than you think on a regular bases, eating at an excess on a free day will only compound the matter).

Teresa
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Are you eating anything with a high caloric density? Things like oils, dairy, breads, noodles are foods that allow you to eat large concentrations of calories without much satiation.

Or how about a lot of fat? If your fat intake is too high, you can run into problems. Things like oil, butter, sour cream, milk, cheese, greasy dishes will prevent you from burning as many calories for a variety of reasons.

Also avoid things with MSG or unnatural concentrations of naturally occurring glutamates, as they will cause you to overeat.
  • journeyandherjourney
    Options
    Try a squat challenge. Either the 30 day squat challenge: http://30dayfitnesschallenges.com/30-day-squat-challenge/ or the 30 day extreme squat challenge: http://30dayfitnesschallenges.com/30-day-extreme-squat-challenge/
    Whether your a beginner or a pro at exercising one of these is sure to benefit you.
  • skinnypryncess
    Options
    Are you allergic/intolerant of any foods? I have big time issues with yeast and sugar and I find that limiting them is really helpful. 1500 cals/day of bread isn't the same as 1500 cals of veggies (in the way my body digests it). But that's just me.

Also... I know you already mix up your work outs, but have you tried HIIT? I have been overweight for about 25 of the 29 years of my life and what finally got me out of the 200s was running. Try using a HRM (you can get the watch kind until you get serious about it and want the band kind) and see if adding intervals or heavy duty (but limited) steady state cardio helps.

Good luck!
    Good info:) thx I limit bread, my weakness, because it does give me problems. I have yet to purchase a HRM , but it's on the to do list:)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

^^^^ this

I thought I was drinking 175ml of Red Wine ..... but it was 300ml....

That 25g of Nuts ..... was 40g.....

Weigh Weigh Weigh .........

Cheese. Cheese is far more dense than it appears.

So is peanut butter.