1380 Cal a day/ work outs 300-400 burned

Options
Jaxsonjess
Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
Hello I am sort of new to the threads and all. I am 5'7 and started at 280, I am 33. I started on Jan 17th and have lost 26 pounds so far. I hear all this talk about too low of calories and eating back and I have been siticking to the 1380 cal per day and doing a work out of about 300-400 cals burned. I seem to be losing weight good and I do not feel hungry and I eat alot of foods that keep me full like protein and fiber. I think this is working well for me. I just see all these other posts about low calories and you won't loose and I am wondering if I am doing harm? I feel good. Should I just keep going?? I mean I am not oppose to eating another snack or going over my calories at all. Just curious any thoughts or similar plans that have worked good for people. I drink 8 glasses of water a day too and take a multi Vit.

Replies

• mdraper60
    mdraper60 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You are most likely going to get some people that say yes eat more and some that say no don't. Personally, I think every person has to find what works best for them and makes them feel the best! If you stop losing or start to feel crappy, you could try upping your calories. Or you could try upping them now and see what happens. It is all up to you!! Good luck on your journey!! :)
  • Jaxsonjess
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ark98
    ark98 Posts: 4
    Options
    scientific studies have shown that restricted calory diets of quality food are the key to longevity as there is a reduced load on the digestive system.

however, it takes time to adjust and your mood will have lows, i would not recommend a constant low calorie diet to begin with, until after you have got to your ideal weight
  • Jaxsonjess
    Options
    Thank you
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    This will work for you for a time because you have quite a bit of weight to lose. It is not a good plan to eat that little as you get closer to goal weight, however.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The answer is that it depends.

Eating too little has more to do with dietary adherence, muscle preservation, gym performance, mood, hormonal balances, vitamin deficiency, etc. than weight loss. Eat too little and your body starts burning muscle and you risk missing important nutrients.

But, most people overestimate their calories burned and underestimate their calories consumed. So it's quite possible that you're not eating at as big a deficit as you think.

Just remember that hunger won't tell you if you're getting enough protein to preserve your lean muscle. It won't tell you if you're getting enough calcium. It won't tell you if your hunger signals have been suppressed by exercise. You have to pay attention to the big picture. Gym performance, mood, energy levels, concentration, healthy hair and nails, etc.
  • Jaxsonjess
    Options
    Thank you! Yes I will def listen to my body and go off that.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You are most likely going to get some people that say yes eat more and some that say no don't. Personally, I think every person has to find what works best for them and makes them feel the best! If you stop losing or start to feel crappy, you could try upping your calories. Or you could try upping them now and see what happens. It is all up to you!! Good luck on your journey!! :)

I agree with this. If you found something this is working for you, stick with it. If it stops working, tweak it as necessary. I find that every person's weight loss journey is their own.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    everyone's different. I started about the same time and had a goal of 1320. Couldn't stick to it without feeling terrible though. Now I'm about 1500 (avg), more if I exercise. I find it very difficult to stay below 1500 while exercising.