truvia sweetener? horrified!

Options
I have really been trying to take my diet seriously. I've been trying to get in shape and eat healthy. I read about truvia in a magazine and saw that it was “all natural". So I tried it, I've been using it in my green tea and in my coffee. I became nauseous, follow then by diarrhea. I first thought I just had a stomach bug or something. But when my husband used it in his coffee yesterday morning he told me that he had diarrhea all day at work. He swore out had to be the coffee. But we've always bought that brand of coffee we like it. So then I looked at the changes that I've made......the truvia came to mind. I decided to investigate it online. I was horrified to see the side effects that other people have had, the same ones that my husband and I have had. The nauseousness, the diarrhea, bloating, gas, and anal leakage!!!! It is not all natural. Found that real fast.

Has anyone else tried truvia? Did anyone have similar effects as the ones I mentioned?

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    In for anal leakage..

I use Splenda.
    No leakage here.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It's almost everything that's "natural" isn't good for you
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Stevia hasn't had as much testing as something safe like aspartame. :laugh:
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I use Splenda.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I tried it in a stir fry and you could taste the artificial-ness of it. It is horrid. Don't cook with it. I'm trying to figure out what I can do with a whole box of sachets
  • hollymccall
    hollymccall Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I paid 7 bucks for it. That's money down the damn drain. I might as well stick with a teaspoon of sugar in my coffee or tea.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the effects of the erythritol used as a carrier for the stevia extract sweetener, erythritol is a sugar alcohol which passes through the stomach and is fermented in the lower digestive system and colon.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I have no troubles with it at all.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with Splenda and its counterparts years ago, but no longer have any problems with it. Just like some people are allergic to dairy and others aren't.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Then quit using it.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I tried it in a stir fry and you could taste the artificial-ness of it. It is horrid. Don't cook with it. I'm trying to figure out what I can do with a whole box of sachets
    wtf would someone put truvia in a stir fry? mind blown....
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I use regular stevia (sweet leaf stevia) not that Truvia crap that is owned by Coca-Cola Corporation.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    which one of the artifical sweetners was discovered while scientist where making rat poison?..i dont remember which one as I dont use any because they are nasty tasting..but thats what I read once,and it was on the internet so it must be true!!!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    which one of the artifical sweetners was discovered while scientist where making rat poison?..i dont remember which one as I dont use any because they are nasty tasting..but thats what I read once,and it was on the internet so it must be true!!!

Aspartame
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Aspartame
    Wow, you have to stop listening to those naturopaths at the "wellness" clinic.
    Aspartame was discovered in 1965 by James M. Schlatter, a chemist working for G.D. Searle & Company. Schlatter had synthesized aspartame as an intermediate step in generating a tetrapeptide of the hormone gastrin, for use in assessing an anti-ulcer drug candidate
  • 1992Leigh1992
    1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am a self-confessed artificial sweetener-addict. I use it in coffee and sometimes drink diet soda.

Different sweeteners have different effects on different people.

Last year in exam period, I consumed A LOT of coke zero and sugar-free sunkist over a couple of days and eventually got headaches. So I stopped drinking it for a while.

I remember consuming less than half that amount of regular cola at a friend's movie marathon a few years ago, and the sugar hangover from that was the same, if not worse.

Since then I have never consumed THAT much in such a short space of time.

I try to avoid aspartame. I use Splenda and sometimes buy other sweeteners if Splenda is not available. Aspartame (equal) is a last-resort. Normally if I am at a cafe with a friend, the only choice is sugar or equal.

So I don't have a lot of experience using stevia.

But if a product is artificially sweetened, it normally lists on the label numbers that signify the sweetener. I try to look for 955, and
    try to avoid 951.