I CAN'T KNOCK THIS CRAVING. Need an alternative

Options
Hello all. I've been on my weight loss journey since March of 2013, so about a year. I have lost 76 pounds, and am now down to 131. My goal is 125, but i can't get there thanks to my addiction to wawa french vanilla cappuccinos. Yes i know they're high calorie, high sugar, high saturated fat, highly unhealthy. But they're sooooo good! They really hit the spot, especially when i'm watching my shows on sunday and tuesday nights. I used to drink a 12 oz maybe 1 or 2 times a week but now i'm up to a 20 oz 3-4 times a week, and worse, got my cousin addicted (to the smores variety). The reason i started drinking them is when i got down to 131, i was like "i can add a LITTLE more calories to my diet, i'll just lose the last few pounds slower than i used to." besides, you lose weight slower as you get smaller anyway, depending on your exercise. But i had a completely clean diet of lean meat, good fats like nuts, and fruits and vegetables. So this altercation probably hit my body hard, and negatively. But i can't stop, i need a tasty hot coffee alternative that's lower calorie and healthier. But please don't say "regular coffee" as i DESPISE the taste.

Please help! And please, no trolling. It's not funny, it's just annoying.

Thanks to any who give an educated or well thought out answer. :)

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I like green tea lattes o:
    I don't know if they'll really solve your problem though.
    If it fits into your calories, I don't know why it's such a problem D:
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    Why not scale back again to your 12oz and eat less of something else through out the day if they are that important?
  • girlschmoopie
    girlschmoopie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    First, commit to going back to your 12 oz. instead of the 20 oz. Even if you still allow yourself to have it 3-4 times a week, it is nearly half the calories of what you are having now.

Or look into making your own, and use lower calorie ingredients.
  • Owl_Green
    Owl_Green Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I wonder if French vanilla tea would do in a pinch? You might have to add milk to get the creamier texture you're used to. Otherwise, I think the others were right when they said get the smaller one and enjoy it.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Buy the smaller size. Your body doesn't NEED 20 oz to feel that the craving is satisfied, you've just made it a habit so it seems that way.

I personally mix chocolate or vanilla whey protein powder in with black coffee. It's delicious and it benefits my macro goals a little more than the standard cream and sugar filled specialty coffees.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I don't like black coffee at all but I love this: Folgers Mocha Swirl coffee with 1T of Coldstone Creamer Sweet Cream creamer. 35 calories and yummy. Even if you use double the creamer, it'd still be way less cals than you're consuming.
  • trevnem
    trevnem Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with shortening the amount you're consuming, I love chai lattes, but I have them with soy and only a couple times a month, maybe if you start lowering your consumption you will lessen the craving, its all about will power honey, and I know you have it because you've come this far!!! Tell yourself NO :)
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    OK - switch it up - I used to drink those too!

Now I make my own ICED coffees at home, but I suppose you could drink it hot as well

First I make my own syrup - not perfect, but less cals than buying Torini

Boil a cup of brown sugar with 1 cup water (or any equal ratio) I even sometimes add a little extra water.
    Let cool and store in bottle/jar in fridge.

I use a pint glass - fill/pack with ice - 2 TBSP Syrup, 2 TBSP Fat Free French Vanilla CoffeeMate, fill with regular coffee and stir.

This comes to about 75-80 calories a glass - and I drink 2 a day (one morning, one after lunch). Takes care of my coffee and a bit of the sweet craving for the day and still stay in my calorie goal for the day.

Your calories may be a little different if you add more of either ingredient. (note the value for the brown sugar is 1/2 of that on the package because you are mixing 1/2 water).
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try a vanilla Chai tea or try a coffee with a sugar free vanilla syrup or flavour instead. Those should be fairly acceptable replacements. The FF Coffeemate isn't a bad idea either.
  • strawberriekt24
    strawberriekt24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you have a Keurig, look into Grove Square French Vanilla Cappuccinos (and other flavors too). They are so tasty, and 80 cals for the cup.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of stuff like cakes, cheesecake and so on.
    HOWEVER, I generally make a point of only doing so when I've met protein targets and it's either late in the day or I've got it planned out that I won't be hungry late.

Often because I've done exercise. In fact, a couple of times recently I've had say 300 calories left. Cycle to the big supermarket a few miles away and burn another 400 givining me a now pretty respectable 700 calories of treat.

So, I'd force myself to 'earn' the calories before consuming them - and now 'borrowing' from a day ahead!

Have you tried having them with skimmed milk, maybe taking some of the stuff a bit easier?
    I'll drink skimmed milk to get a bit of protein in on occasion if I've got the calories spare for some carbs too.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    First, commit to going back to your 12 oz. instead of the 20 oz. Even if you still allow yourself to have it 3-4 times a week, it is nearly half the calories of what you are having now.

Or look into making your own, and use lower calorie ingredients.

worth a try!!!! PORTION CONTROL! ;)
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I adore The Republic of Tea's Red Tea - Good Hope Vanilla (a rooibos tea blended with vanilla bean).
  • rayraex
    rayraex Posts: 50
    Options
    What about a smoothie? Maybe some almond milk, banana, vanilla extract and cinnamon? It would be good for you and have that creamy vanilla taste you're craving.
  • prfanatic
    Options
    It matters because calories are not all i care about. If that were the case i wouldn't havebeen on a clean diet. I also care about my health, which is why i'm asking for alternatives. Maybe i made the topic too much about losing the last 6 lbs and not enough about lowering the sugar/fat content. Even the small 12 oz has 7.5g of saturated fat in it. I like my arteries unclogged, thanks. And thank you to those who gave me alternatives to look into. :)

I love the smoothie idea but it has to be a hot alternative.

I'm loving all of your feedback though <3
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It matters because calories are not all i care about. If that were the case i wouldn't havebeen on a clean diet. I also care about my health, which is why i'm asking for alternatives. Maybe i made the topic too much about losing the last 6 lbs and not enough about lowering the sugar/fat content. Even the small 12 oz has 7.5g of saturated fat in it. I like my arteries unclogged, thanks. And thank you to those who gave me alternatives to look into. :)

When you stop labeling foods good and bad, it makes losing weight and life in general much easier.
  • prfanatic
    Options
    YES! I will give that a try. 15g of sugar and 0g fat kicks my cappuccinos *kitten* :) portion is a bit small but aye what can ya do.
  • prfanatic
    Options
    Yes but like i said, i don't only care about losing weight. "bad foods" are what give you heart disease and diabetes", so yeah i'm going to label lol.i'm not saying im going to cut them out completely, but 7.5g of saturated fat and 23g of sugar is a bit intense for a drink.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

If you're that bothered, just stop drinking them.