Will there be extra skin if weight loss?

Options
Not sure what category to put this into, but I was wondering if I will have wrinkly, extra skin if I lose weight. I am 160 lbs (and growing unfortunately) and 5' 3. I am, well, relatively young. Like, really young (high school young). I know that people tend to get wrinkly tummies and thighs due to the stretching skin when gaining weight. Any tips to avoid getting wrinkly, baggy skin (if i happen to actually lose around 40 lbs :/) I don't really exercise, but please suggest any exercises that I could do at home if it happens to help avoid saggy skin.

Replies

• superkt
    superkt Posts: 12
    Options
    i've read about others experiences with weight loss and saggy skin...
    there isn't a way to know until you do it. if you're young, your skin has a better ability to snap back. if you lose slower, your body can also adjust more easily. seeing as you weigh 160 and you're 5'3", i can't imagine you'd have very much loose skin unless you're hiding a 95lb person under that! weight training is a very good way to minimize it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any...what I do have is from pregnancy...
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It's possible, but it's more common with people who are extremely overweight. Unfortunately there's not much you can do about it other than try to lose weight at a reasonable pace and work on keeping your lean muscle and losing fat. Exercise helps, especially lifting.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I do, yes. It's not terrible, and I'm losing weight slowly enough that I don't think it'll be the most awful, worst thing ever. But I started at 350 lbs - it was inevitable that I would have excess skin.

As for exercise you can do at home - google '7 Minute Workout' - you need to push hard with each activity, and you need to keep your rest periods under 30 seconds, and you need to work up to 3 or 4 intervals, but it's a great workout (it's high intensity circuit training, requiring only your body weight, a chair and a wall).
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's a lot more common in people who are stage 3 obese and up, AND are older than 40. That being said, it could happen, just probably won't.
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If there wasn't, wouldn't we just eventually explode as we gain weight?
  • NancyH66
    NancyH66 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Get out and walk or jog or ride a bike. Do you have sports teams at school? Working out with a group will help with motivation. Avoid eating junk food. Drink water not soda or sugary drinks. This is the time to build some good diet and exercise habits. If you get down to a healthy weight now you probably won't have problems with excess skin but it you wait too long you certainly might.
  • Courtshorr
    Courtshorr Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I lost 160 pounds and I had A TON of extra skin! But with that amount of weight loss, it is pretty common. My Dr. said that lotioning yourself every day will help your skin not be as saggy after weight loss.... so maybe that will help
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just saw this. I've lost about 50 pounds (really 65 pounds from my heaviest years ago). Been overweight for about 15 years. That's a 25% reduction in my size, much of the weight loss coming in the past year. Now, I've got this pooch of extra skin on my stomach. I'm hoping that through time it goes away with exercise.