New job, how many cals help

Options
Hi guys i've got a new job as a bin man so I walk between 7-10 miles a day. I haven't done other workouts this week as my legs have been very sore from all the activity at work. Will be returning next week to 3 heavy lifting days and football Wednesday. Maybe some additional cardio but really depends on my leg pain. Where should my activity level be? I work mon-fri. I want to lose about 20lbs or so ASAP healthily

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I personally would put active...that's a lot of walking....
  • DrWonga
    DrWonga Posts: 20
    Options
    Your legs just needs to adapt to your new job. As soon as they stop being sore, you can return to your workout routine.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Or log it as exercise for accuracy?

I used to have a long commute to work, so one day I measured exactly how long it was, heart rate and kJ use. I just logged it as exercise for the weekdays. It was significant, about 500 Cal. I just assumed every day would be similar afterward.

Now my commute is much shorter so I just obviate it.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right—work is activity level, not exercise. Try "active" for a few weeks, then reevaluate. Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Vatanyar
    Vatanyar Posts: 2
    Options
    Buy a pedometer, connect the accounts, and MFP will adjust your net accordingly. Fitbit seems accurate enough to me, although I haven't tried other brands.
  • thatch1234
    thatch1234 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I did use a step counter which said I covered 16780 steps and 8.2 miles. Says burnt 850 cals but I pay no attention to that tbh. I think sticking as an activity level is probe best option also. Eating around 2400 a day now with it set like this. This seem ok?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eat 2,400 calories for a few weeks, then reevaluate.