Should i be worried?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
OKAY EVERYONE IM FREAKING OUT I DONT KNOW WHAT IM DOING WRONG PLEASE GIVE ME AS MUCH ADVICE AND INSIGHT AS YOU CAN. I'm 19... So, I started working out at 145lbs. I weigh in every tuesday. This tuesday I was 133lbs! I was so happy because each week my weight has been going down! People always say to never weigh yourself everyday but me being curious, I decided to weigh myself this morning (2 days later)..................................................................... I'm so depressed. It says I weigh 140 pounds!! WTF after all this hard work, did i really gain that much in just two days? A few days this week, I happened to eat a few things with a lot of sodium.... I work out every single day except sunday. My question is, is this my true weight because im so sad and emotional right now ..... or is this water weight & from the sodium? sigh, btw, my period should be coming soon idk if that has to do with it. HELP! I've read a little about this and so right now i drunk like 3 cups of water and im gonna drink as much water as i can today.... sigh........ I feel like such a failure :(

btw; my goal weight is 115 !

Replies

• SweetShy01
    Options
    I'm being serious, and need advice. I wrote this really quickly....
    Sorry ms grammar police, but you don't have to be a sarcastic *kitten* to me ....
  • LadyHomestar
    LadyHomestar Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's most likely sodium and water retention. Have you been doing weight training? That can cause your muscles to swell a bit at first.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    But on a serious note...check to make sure your scale doesnt need new batteries. 7 lbs doesnt usually flucuate in 2 days.
  • 503pdx
    503pdx Posts: 31
    Options
    You can not physically gain that much FAT in 2 days. Stick to your once a week weighing. Flux throughout the week is completely normal. Sodium WILL make you retain water. Drink 100oz or so of water a day to flush it and sit in a sauna if you have one. But remember to replenish your water. You need to drink water every time you sweat or loose water, otherwise your body will hold onto every last drop and cause bloating/weight retention. Water is so very important. Plus your monthly cycle can and most likely will make you bloat for a few days. I hold onto a couple pounds right before I start. Just keep drinking water and doing what you've been doing to see the success and you will be fine. Don't step on the scale until next Tuesday. Bloating and water retention are common and the best way to get rid of water retention is to drink more water!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So your weight will fluctuate regularly, everyones does. If you can handle seeing these fluctuations without freaking out then I would suggest weighing yourself every day and watching for trends (for example when I am eating really consistantly then I weight xlbs, when I eat out or abnormally I gain x lbs, when it is TOM I gain x lbs, these can all be good things to know about yourself to track your progress). If you are going to drive yourself crazy like this then I would suggest only weighing yourself once every month. Keep in mind weight loss is not magic, it is math. If you create a 3500 calorie deficit then you will lose a pound. If you eat an extra 3500 calories then you will gain a pound. So unless you are some sort of amazing competative eater I am seriously doubting you gained 7 lbs.

read this great post for beginers and set yourself up a plan and stick to it, weight loss take patience and perserverance

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Well, you are right- that's one of the reasons people say not to weigh every single day. Your weight can fluctuate depending on time of day, workouts, diet, hydration, time of day, and whether or not you've just used the toilet.

(Also- don't move your scale. Leave it horizontal if you must move it at all.)

Do NOT freak out. It's part of the process.
  • Hbarry7
    Hbarry7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    No, don't be worried.
    You listed several factors that might be contributing to the scale difference. Scales are not a great measurement anyway. How do your clothes fit? Things take time, see how it is next week and the week after that. If the trend over the month is in the right direction then you're good.

Just treat this moment for what it is. A momentary freak-out in your journey. Try not to let your thoughts pull you down, focus on your next healthy meal and doing your next workout.

Hope that helps :flowerforyou:
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    If you're weighing yourself at different times during the day, that's probably why you see a huge fluctuation. Try weighing yourself only in the morning, after you take care of your business.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I 'gained' 6 lbs. following a two restaurant meals (meals which were pre-planned to fit within my calorie goals for the day, I might add).

I typically 'gain' 5 lbs. in the four days before my period.

I can easily fluctuate 2-4 lbs depending on when I weigh myself, how recently I've eaten/had something to drink, what I'm wearing, and when my last bowel movement was.

Point being that unless you consumed massive amounts of calories, you have some water retention happening. Don't freak out. Do remember that your weight is constantly in flux due to a huge variety of reasons, and that the number on the scale is only reflective of your relationship to Earth's gravity at that precise moment in time. Attaching this much emotion to a number which constantly changes isn't going to be healthy for you mentally or emotionally. Develop a wider range of things by which to measure your progress and worth, ok?

Relax a little, drink lots of water, cut back your sodium, you'll be ok.
  • Kasha98
    Kasha98 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :-)
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    Hey no worries! Here's my advice! :-)

1) Focus more on writing than weighing yourself every day.

2) Unless you ate 24,500 calories MORE than what you need to survive in the span of those 2 days, it's pretty safe to say you didn't really gain back all that fat.

3) Take a deep breath, and exhale. ANDNOREMOREWRITINGALLCRAZYLIKEYOUAREWIRED!!!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Now OP I know you are 19 years old, but give the drama a rest. You wrote that you know you shouldn't weigh every day, the only reason you should not weigh every day is because for some people they tie their self worth into a number on a scale. Well that number will fluctuate for many reasons, and if you are going to go this over the top when ever you see the number move in the wrong direction.. lose the scale.

So be realistic, be patient and stop the drama.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    But on a supportive note to OP. The mostly likely source is water weight. Its only one day. The number is just as likely to change tomorrow.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My weight is always up and down a few lbs, especially at "that" time of the month. It's normal. Don't worry.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me many times. I created a post about it once and I felt SO DUMB doing that because it does come across as frantic. Your logic tells you it can't be fat gained. But the scale is a real sneaky *kitten*. Hey step on, you're doing great! Bam, weirdly high number. In the most loving way possible, I would advise you to get over it. Keep going at a calorie deficit and put your mind to more important things like kicking your own *kitten* at the gym.
    And hydrate :)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I would rather read a post from a pompous *kitten* written using correct grammar, punctuation and capitalization than to read a poorly written post.
  • kmglennie
    kmglennie Posts: 40
    Options
    I think making a joke about grammar is more polite than straight up calling someone an *kitten*.

To the OP, if you're going to panic at changes in weight, I'd recommend avoiding weighing in every day, and only do it once a week instead.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

nothing i hate more is a person who thinks they are superior than someone else judging them from their writing skills online....

If this is the thing you hate most, then you are quite blessed.

Also, please stop cursing on the spicy threads. They get removed when you do that.
  • phys72
    phys72 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    dumb questions but
    … did you use the same scale?
    …. were you naked both times?

I fluctuate by about 3 lbs, and go up a few pounds a couple days before my period. Don't sweat it yet. Weigh yourself in a few days.
  • moresophia
    moresophia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Relax,

It's normal to gain weight before your period (and have some weird cravings for things that contain iron and sodium).
    Keep making healthy eating choices and continue your exercising. Don't focus so much on your weight otherwise you won't notice your progress.

Sophia