How to stop being hungry (ALL.THE.TIME.)?

Options
So I was doing well. I had lost 37 pounds and was on the right track - only 4 pounds from my first medium goal.

Then I had an illness that affected both my physical and mental state. I would ALWAYS be hungry. I would come home and eat and eat and eat.....and continue to eat until I went to bed. And I honestly could not shut it off. It went on for a good week until I finally went to see a doctor.

I finally got this under enough control that I wasn't continuously eating, but instead I would eat a normal Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and then order out that night. I gained 20 pounds back but have lost 6 recently (water weight).

I just can't stop the cravings, first off. I want to order out at night and I can't really stop thinking about it, and I don't know how to shut that one off outside of distraction, which isn't doing much.

But the worst part is that I still feel hungry, even if I eat a filling meal. And that didn't start until all of this started. It's like my body is so used to eating like crazy, it wants it still.

Is there any way to control both of these? I'm trying to do what I can here, but sometimes it seems like a losing battle.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Jen

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Try eating more protein and more fiber. Harder to digest, slower to release calorie foods that are calorically low relative to their weight will help keep you satiated.

My diet currently has 50% of its calories from protein and the most difficult thing for me currently is forcing myself to eat ENOUGH. I'm most definitely not hungry even at 1800 cal a day (which is small for me).

You want to curb hunger without raising calories? Drop fat and carbs for protein. Don't drop them completely I'm not suggesting Atkins here, just adjust your diet to have a bit more protein and a bit less carbs and fat.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I agree with focusing on upping your protein. The more I started focusing on reaching over 100 grams of protein a day, the less hungry I feel.

But it sounds like your battle is more of a mental one, which is something I can relate to. In the beginning I would literally day dream about binge eating at buffets and what not. I would think about it all day and all night, fully like imagining how the food would taste. Eventually the thoughts just became less and less. I still think about foods I want or crave and now I just find a way to make it fit in my lifestyle.

Getting over your mental hurdle wont be easy, but keep on focusing on the end result. Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • danaberge
    danaberge Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    A huge salad works for me.

I weigh the dressing and mix the whole ziplock bag up with it and get a huge heaping amount of veggies that are delicious. It really has helped me get the amount of food i'm craving. Salad is the best for that!!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Hey if you can eat 3 lean chicken breasts or a full pound of tuna (both ~350 calories) and not feel full then yeah I suppose it is a mental thing but give it a try and see what you think. Not saying eat nothing but chicken but if you just add more lean meats or lean proteins to your diet it might help with that hunger.

Salad does not work for me personally but that doesn't mean I'm right and someone who says salad helps is wrong, everyone is different you just have to experiment and find out what works for you.

Portion meals by calories (like 300 calories for a meal) space those meals out regularly throughout the day (like 5 or 6 meals) and experiment with % macros. Try meals that are high protein one day and meals that are high carb (salads and such) another day and see how hungry you feel. Really the only one who can answer how your body will react to food is you and your experience.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Protein, healthy fats ...
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've had a bit of compulsive overeating. It's okay, it happens to the best of us. You may have to spend some time analyzing your relationship with food. If food is going to be on your mind anyway, try to think smart. Anything dealing with your mental state is about changing your thoughts in a way that is believable to you. If you're really craving pizza, but you order yourself a salad, that salad is not going to be satisfying to you. BUT if you're craving pizza and you cook up some whole wheat cheesy garlic bread with bruschetta... you might find you don't need to eat more after it's gone.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I had much the same problem and it drove me nuts. In m my case I have an under active thyroid. With a bump in protein and cutting down on sugars and starches along with thyroid meds I feel like a new person.

Have your thyroid checked and discuss with a doctor if it is anywhere low on the test range.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I use to be really restrictive and go on binge every few weeks and really most it was based on what I would eat at the time. (you should maybe look up on binge eating. I use to do exactly what you decribe. I eat not too much during the day but then be starved at night anyway and I would eat 2 dinner or order food and keep eating)

Mentally restricting your food is really hard, our whole live revolved around food and meals so obviously not thinking about is not easy to do.

For the first time it's finally working for me, mostly because I balanced my diet enough to feel full. I'm at the point where i'm struggling to eat enough calories now because i'm just not hungry.

Don't go from 2500 cal a day to 1500 (or whatever your goal is), gradually shave off a few every other day/week. Wait and see how your body is responding. Make the right choices. If you like crispy snack for exemple, try to exchange chips for popcorn (the non butter one) as it's much less caloric. Eat more veggies and fruits. Just an apple doesn't make you feel full but if you dip apple slices in peanut butter, the fat and protein in it is harder to digest so it sustain you more. If peanut butter is not for you, try to eat a yogurt with fresh fruit. Lean protein is not all there is and if you look at your plate and are really bored with it it won't work out most of the time. Try and find stuff that are good for you but that you like. Otherwise yes you'll be at home at night thinking about ordering out food and restaurant are usually pretty bad
    I love eggs for exemple but they add up in calorie really fast. So instead of 2 scramble eggs for breakfast I eat 1 and i mix 1 tbls of cottage cheese in it before i cook it. Taste the same, higher in protein but lower in calorie. It took me a while to switch things up enough to fill full and still like what i ate.

also eat in between meals. I eat every 2 hours or so from 7h30 in the morning until 8h-ish at night, hungry or not. That way i don't even get a chance to start getting hungry. If i wait before eating, that's when i start over eating and I just refuse to listen when my body tell me that i'm full.
  • HopeDaleen930
    Options
    Dealing with that exact issue right now. I have no advice, as I"m trying to analyze that problem myself... But wanted to say you have friends in the same boat as you. Every day you have to keep trying. Just don't give that up. Every day I binge, I get back up the next morning, and try to make better decisions that day. You'll never fail so long as you never give up.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    If you find that you're craving carbs in particular, something may be off with your glucose/insulin. For example, this is commonly reported with those that have insulin resistance because their bodies create more insulin than they need, which triggers a hunger response. I have insulin resistance and I remember times when I literally was so full my stomach actually hurt a little and yet I was still hungry and craving carbs -- it was totally nutty to have those two seemingly contradictory feelings going on simultaneously.

I started on metformin for the insulin resistance and started restricting carbs (for me, that's 50-80 g per day and a low carb diet is often recommended with people that have insulin resistance to control the insulin/blood glucose levels). It helped such cravings immensely! I still get them from time to time, but so long as I keep the carbs low altogether (and I personally choose to avoid high glycemic carbs for this very reason -- flour, rice, certain fruits, most sugar, etc.), I rarely have such intense cravings.

I find when I eat more of the high glycemic carbs, I just want more of them so restricting them is the only thing I've found to work for me. I still have sweets from time to time, but it's much more rare and I couple them with some protein and fat (i.e. after a meal, not by themselves). It also evened out my energy levels -- I feel like I have greater, sustained energy throughout the day --- no more sugar crashes and fatigue.
  • Oh you poor thing. I can completely relate. I am finally starting to get over my uncontrollable cravings. What I had to do is change my taste buds and stomach size.

I started with pigging out on tons of veggies... Salad, soup, steamed veg, baked veg, I mean veg galore. I also ate lots of lean protein. I also dropped the yummy junk food cold turkey.

Over time, I slowly started incorporating my complex carbs back in and some healthy fats. Now, I can eat a decent plate without going overboard.

Now that I have these good awful urges under better control, I can sort of splurge. For example, when I absolutely crave McDonald's, I order the classic grilled chicken sandwich, small parfait (no granola), and side salad (no dressing). My tastebuds are happy, I'm super full, I feel like I got a treat, and its all for under 500 calories for my meal.

I still have to fight with myself, but over doing it on veg definitely helps.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    what are you craving? Maybe you're low on iron/vitamins.

If it's not related to that, and because this happened after an illness, maybe try and stop and ask yourself whether you're actually hungry or if you want food to fill some other void. I can say I've often done this myself.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about the situation to say what to do though.
  • jenEphur
    jenEphur Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for the support and ideas! I'm definitely looking to increase my protein and am hoping that will help. I've been keeping on track with just eating three meals a day plus an afternoon snack and things have been seeming to get better. I think it's more habit creeping in on me now instead of the intense hunger that I was feeling. In the four days that I've been eating three meals and a snack without ordering out/binge eating with an increased water intake, I've lost 8 pounds. I know it's water weight/bloat, but it's helpful to see what such awful, greasy, carb filled food does to my body.

I had every test done under the sun when I was sick, and the only thing wrong with me is that my HDL is too low, so I've got to work on that. :)

Again, thank you for the support! I really, really appreciate it.