Opinions! P90x or Insanity!

Options
I've done P90x and didn't really like it. It was great for muscles, but I was looking more for weightloss. So, then, my husband and I got insanity (which is expensive but we found it on ebay for like $50 cheaper), and I really like it! A lot of cardio, and that is what should help me shed some pounds.

What does everyone else think?

Replies

• Miraggie
    Miraggie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did p90x and currently am doing Insanity. I was NOT A FAN of p90x. Tony Horton made me nuts and I thought it was too light on cardio. I LOVE insanity though. I just started cycle 2 and my body has huge changes already.
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Bump...I am curious as to the answers you'll receive. I just got P90X and plan on starting it in January, but I debated between that and Insanity. Kinda bummed reading what I've read so far :(
    I'm not looking for muscles....I'm pretty well toned already....I want weight loss!
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    Options
    My husband and I started with Insanity. The first time we started it, it was rough. We "fell off the wagon" about 3 weeks into it. We are now in month 2 of Insanity and loving it. I have seen decent changes in weight and certain places on my body are shrinking. We will be done with Insanity in the middle of January and are going to do it one more time and then start P90X. I wanted to loose some weight before I started doing some serious muscle building. If you think P90X is light on cardio, you can always incorporate Insanity into it. I know people who have done a p90x/Insanity hybrid type workout and they love it.

Good luck!
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Muscles are key to weight loss. The calorie burn during a P90X strength workout is equivalent to any cardio workout, P90X or otherwise. So you are still burning plenty but you are building lean muscle which will help burn even more fat in the future and help you keep it off. Insanity is great but in my opinion a P90X based workout is a more sustainable and practical workout to not only lose weight but to get really fit and for a workout philosophy to follow for the rest of your life.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Im looking into getting insanity. I didn't like the fact that p90x has equipment that is needed in order to do some of the workouts. I'd rather do the cardio.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have gotten Insanity.
    I got p90x and did it for a month and just was unable to fit and hour to an hour and a half workout into my day!
    And I didnt like having to buy all this equipment to go with it!
    insanity is 60 days and the longest workouts are an hour which is wayy more reasonable than 1.5 hours!
    If you really want to get muscles I would say p90x but if you want to lose weight, cardio etc go with Insanity
  • lstrachan
    lstrachan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am planning on starting the P90X in January - I am looking forward to it.
  • GinaSz3
    GinaSz3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @lstrachan...Your gonna love it!!!!!!!!
  • GinaSz3
    GinaSz3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Muscles are key to weight loss. The calorie burn during a P90X strength workout is equivalent to any cardio workout, P90X or otherwise. So you are still burning plenty but you are building lean muscle which will help burn even more fat in the future and help you keep it off. Insanity is great but in my opinion a P90X based workout is a more sustainable and practical workout to not only lose weight but to get really fit and for a workout philosophy to follow for the rest of your life.

Ditto
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I know insanity is all about cardio and p90x is more to build muscle, so I dont know why anyone trying to loose weight would do p90x first and then insanity, If you build muscle and then do cardio your gonna loose that muscle you built. So if you want to lose weight and see it on the scale then cardio cardio cardio. Personally I wouldn't do any of those.
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i just started P90X last night. I actually liked it. I burned 324 calories in 35 minutes and couldn't go any further through the workout without my arms falling off. I did the Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps disc. I don't have any fancy equipment besides the lovely 3 lb weights. My arms feel great today! I think it will be worth a shot to try building muscle to burn fat!
  • sheenabe
    sheenabe Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am finishing P90X tomorrow!!! Yay me!! I too was really searching for something to help me lose weight. In the beginning of P90x I was getting really discouraged as I didn't see the scale move nearly as much as I had hoped or anticipated. I persevered though and am i ever glad that I did. I am a numbers person, and when I didn't see the scale moving I felt like it was all for not...now that I am finishing though I have lost nearly 20lbs and a ton of inches. I don't have my number done yet as I am not going to measure until Sunday but I can let you know. I agree with the people saying that there isn't as much cardio in P90x so in my last month or so I started adding my own. I would swap out the p90X cardio and Kenpo tapes with Taebo advanced. It was awesome and kicked my butt! I do think it is very important to have some weight training in your routine as well though. Good luck to you in whatever you choose. The secret is finding something you like then sticking with it.
  • ewarm24
    Options
    I did insanity first then p90x(reg version) i lost more weight in insanity, but then again i was in better shape when i started p90x (as i went through insanity). i also gained back some muscle in p90x. But unless you have some amazing will power(i did cause i was so discusted with myself for letting me get so far out of shape) you might quit on insanity first. I would say if your far out of shape and dont think you will have the will power i would start with p90x lean (to get your body in better shape) then insanity (for best results). then maybe go back and do p90x reg version to put some fat burning muscle back on. when i did insanity i pushed my self too hard and felt like throwing up everyday after the workout(untill i drank my recovry drink). but sad to say i loved it. My thought was pain is gain. You can see in my photos the dates when i started insanity(feb), p90x(may) after p90x(x2) now photos.

p.s. i had burned insanity for a few friends from work (like 6 or 7). Guys and girls and only one guy finished it. the rest ended up giving up.
  • redhotsmacker
    redhotsmacker Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have about 10 days left of Insanity....and I can't believe I am going to say this but, I am really happy it is almost over. My weight loss has been around 15lbs for the time being so far. I didn't have any joint problems when I started and completed the first 30 days. But now I am finding that I am having a hard time getting through month 2 because all of a sudden my knees are bothering me. I find that during a workout, I am starting to modify some of the moves because it hurts too much.

After Insanity I am starting Chalean Extreme. The workouts are around 35-45 minutes, which works well with my schedule. To tell you the truth, p90x kinda scares me a little. I know, I shouldn't really say that after having endured Insanity...LOL
  • beckym71
    beckym71 Posts: 3,511
    Options
    Both! :bigsmile:
    A lot of people do a P90X/Insanity hybrid program. They complement eachother perfectly.
    In fact, the new Insanity program ASYLUM will come with a P90X/Asylum hybrid schedule!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a P90X/Insanity hybrid each week. I first did P90X and lost 24 lbs of fat. I added in extra cardio with walking and jogging during that time. After our first round of P90X we did a round of Insanity. I lost three pounds during Insanity. We just finished a hybrid of both P90X and Insanity Max for 90 days. I lost 7 pounds. It is possible to lose fat during P90X, however you may need to do extra cardio. P90X plyometrics is a great precursor to Insanity. I wouldn't have done well with Insanity right out the box if it weren't for P90X. That is why so many people give up, no strength. Insanity has many push-ups and plank work. If you haven't built up your upper body strength first then you will bullsh*t through insanity. P90X is excellent for upper body and core strength.

Bottom line, my suggestion would be to start with P90X or a hybrid of both programs.
  • ewarm24
    Options
    i agree completely edorice, Insanity was stupid hard for me being out of shape. i remember the first day i did p90x plyo (after i did insanity) and i was like "this is it, this is all you got?"
  • doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I think each program has their pros and cons. I have done two rounds of P90X (first did the lean version and then did the classic version) and I have a couple more weeks left to complete insanity.

I agree that although insanity is mostly cardio, there is a ton of upper body exercises that requires you to have some strength (level 1, 2 and 3 drills, planks, moving push ups etc). I don't think I would have been able to get as much out of insanity as I have if I hadn't built up my upper body strength.

I plan on doing a hybrid program next as I think both programs complement each other.
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i'm currently finishing week 3 of Insanity. I'm gonna be honest, I was really unfit going into it as I hadn't worked out in about 8 months prior to starting. Last September I participated in a Kinesiology study at my University where I had to work out every day and eat according to the study plans, so I had gained 10 lbs of muscle and lost 10 lbs of fat. Then I stopped working out altogether and had gone back to eating whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and gained it all back plus more!

One day I just decided I was going to start eating better and working out everyday, and I thought Insanity was the workout to achieve my goals, and today I'm glad I decided to start Insanity as opposed to P90x.

It's really hard, and I find myself taking a lot of breaks and even modifying some of the moves I can't keep up with. I'm actually really scared to go into the second month because I don't have the month one workouts down and I can't completely keep up 100%. But i'm determined to finish this and not give up!!

That being said, before my second fit test at the beginning of this week, I had already lost about 7 pounds and lost 5.5 inches after the first two weeks of Insanity and making serious changes in my diet and calorie intake.

I'm excited to see the final results after day 63 of Insanity. After I finish, I do plan on starting a P90x/Insanity hybrid, because I need to start strength training, but I would still like to keep up with the max cardio workouts that Insanity offers. I'm getting ahead of myself though, I still need to start month two!
  • SkierElle
    Options
    I am also about to go into the 2nd month of Insanity and over the last 4 weeks I have lost 8 lbs.! I get really bored with strength training although I should be doing more of it, but Insanity incorporates some strength training into the workouts. On the days off I usually run and I am really improving. I don't think I've lost any muscle mass and I feel a lot stronger. I can do so many more push ups! I am a little nervous but mostly excited for the second month!

Really depends on what you think you can stick with and what you are looking for in a workout. Consistency is key, as well as pushing yourself as much as possible.