Fast Food with Low Calories

Options
So today I am at work and I did not bring lunch. What are some healthy idea's for low calorie foods from fast food restaurants?

Replies

• kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Most places you can't go too wrong with a grilled chicken sandwich. Just leave off cheese, mayo, and bacon. If you're at a place that can get a wheat bun, do that!!! Then most fast food places do have healthier side options now.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Fast food and low calorie? HA. If you do get something from a fast food chain, be wary of the sodium content and drink lots of water.

Do you have a grocery store near you? I've noticed that they have pretty nice salad bars lately - watch the dressing and make sure you add some protein, but it sounds like a much more viable and healthier alternative to me.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    jack in the box chicken pita, isn't too bad. Get the salsa with it. Maybe no cheese. There is some web-site that lists all the calories and what are the choices.

I think some of the salads from McD's aren't bad with low cal dressing. Subway Veggie or even the turkey or ham if you get lots of veggies and no mayo. I like mine with the red wine vinegar. :)

Good luck with your choices!
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Grilled Chicken Sandwich no mayo.
    Most fast food places have the nutrition info on their web sites.

Yesterday I had this problem so I got the premium grill chicken classic from MC Donald's it was like 370 cals without mayo.
    I prefer Wendy's Ultimate grilled chicken sandwich but everyone was getting mcds
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Fast food and low calorie? HA. If you do get something from a fast food chain, be wary of the sodium content and drink lots of water.

Do you have a grocery store near you? I've noticed that they have pretty nice salad bars lately - watch the dressing and make sure you add some protein, but it sounds like a much more viable and healthier alternative to me.

agreed drink extra water!
  • MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    subway :)
  • wittlemunchkin
    Options
    Subway :)!
  • wittlemunchkin
    Options
    subway :)

hahahaha :D we wrote the same thing!
  • psychicreader80
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I hink i am going to check out the calories on a Wendy's small chilli....Maybe a baked potaote too. Let me check it out.
  • KittMahan
    Options
    The more you read the less you will want to do this. I do understand tired though.

Like Florence says, grilled chicken sandwich, throw away the bread, get extra lettuce/tomato if they'll give it to you, no sauce.

Another of mine is Taco Time Veggie Soft Taco, but that's not exactly "low calorie," just lower calorie than the usual fast food.

Grab a small apple, grab a lean can of tuna, grab a few low sodium saltines, add a nice cup of tea with splenda and you have a great lunch 250 calories easy :)
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If my family and I are out on the road I can usually stop at McD's and get a Classic Grilled Chicken, no mayo, and only eat half the bun. Add in a side salad from the Dollar Menu, a sprinkling of the Low Fat Newman's Own Italian Dressing, and water. It comes out pretty nice. Ask for a pack of regular mustard to put on the sandwich if you don't like it dry.
    Just make sure you drink plenty of water, because the sodium is a little high for what I would like.
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    Sadly even Subway is loaded with sodium.

There are many options for keeping the calories, fat, & cholesterol down at most fast food restaurants.
    It's the sodium that makes me avoid them as much as possible.

Non-breaded chicken, whole wheat, no mayo, not deep fried are the best options you can choose, but be prepared to drink a lot of extra water because the sodium levels for one fast food meal are probably close to your full daily allowance.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    It's not ideal, but one McDonald's hamburger has 250 cal, 9g fat and 12g protein. It's comperable to a frozen 'diet' meal and I eat them in a pinch. Also can't beat the price :)

Charmagne
  • Atrox
    Atrox Posts: 59
    Options
    Taco Bell- grilled chicken burrito, fresco style = 330 calories. Fills me up, but really high sodium.
    http://www.tacobell.com/nutrition/calculator
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I really like Quizno's flatbread sammies with a side salad or soup. It will be about 500 calories with the side soup (broc and cheese), but I normally keep 1/2 the soup for an afternoon snack. So, between lunch and snack before dinner around 500 calories (depends on how loaded you get it and what kind of course). That means I have (after breakfast) around 1/2 my calories left....maybe slightly less, of course, depending on what I had for breakfast.

I really like subway too, but you have to watch out. A 6 inch sub can run you 500 calories by itself.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    So are french fries totally out of the question? lol jk
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    @Oompa: Not always. ;) Once in awhile you HAVE to keep the craving. I for one am very thankful that Wendy's has switched to sea salt for their fries.
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    For those of you who have Smart Phones. There are free apps you can get for quick fast food stats.
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I get a happy meal at McDonald's when I HAVE to have some fast food junk. They run about 550 cals without a sugary drink. I don't think that's too bad for 6 nuggets and a small fry. To echo everyone else....TONS of sodium absolutely anywhere you go!!