Business travel is my biggest challenge..

Options
Well my bags are packed and I'm ready to go/ I'm standing here outside your door/ I hate to wake you up to say ...goodbye. (all together now!) LEAVIN ON A JET PLANE...
Okay, that song will be in your head all night, sorry about that.

I travel a lot for work..like, A LOT, and it has really derailed me in the past. Last year i was in 26 hotels by August 1. My weight fluctuations were epic, and psychologically, that's rough. Just packing now for a 16 day trip, and I would welcome any advice/tips on staying on track while traveling ... Last year I wasn't logging, so I feel like just keeping up with that alone will be a big help...

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead of time. Search online menus of the places to eat nearby the hotels/areas and select your foods ahead of time. Play around with the tracking by adding and removing different foods to your journal so you won't go over or too far over your limit.
  • english_geek007
    english_geek007 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1) have a staple intense workout video you can do at your hotel -- for example, Jillian's Banish Fat, Boost Metab is known for great weight loss results.
    2) eat one meal in like breakfast or dinner - protein powders/shakes, oatmeal packs, eggs
    3) when out, portion control, and lay off breads and pasta
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If the hotel has a fitness center then make time to use it.
  • Jacquelineslims
    Options
    Thanks for these thoughtful replies. I am a consistent exerciser, even on the road, so I've got that going for me...but I need to nail the diet side of the equation. I think pre planning could be the game changer I need.
    Again, thank you. Feeling more confident about it..
  • funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot for business too (actually, currently on a business trip). I find it helpful to request a fridge and/or a microwave in the hotel room so you can cook for yourself as much as possible. Even just being able to have yoghurt and fruit for breakfast, without worrying about being tempted by the rest of the hotel breakfast - most hotels I go to, the breakfasts aren't complimentary either, so I'm saving the company some money!

I actually find it easier to lose/maintain weight when I'm away - I usually only have half a serving of a meal at a restaurant, and then look after myself for the other 2 meals of the day. It's when I'm home, and have access to the cupboards, and baking gear that I have the problems!

All the best.
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Last week (all week) I was in a downtown hotel in Salt Lake City. I brought along my instant oatmeal (just added hot water from the coffee maker), tea bags and some dried fruit snacks from Trader Joe's. (Used a paper coffee cup from the room for mixing the oatmeal and always travel with a spork. ) I found a great market near City Creek Center and brought back to the room (had a fridge) fresh fruit and vegetables that be eaten raw, and yogurt.

Skipped the included breakfast (except for a boiled egg or two) and made my own. Found a restaurant within walking distance that features healthier choices (La Jolla Groves). Their blackened salmon salad was to die for, tracking calories or not.

Granted, it doesn't always fall into place so easily. Most airport and airplane food sucks, tracking calories or not. In general, pack your own snacks, avoid hotel buffets, and look for restaurants that attempt healthy ingredients and preparation. Tell the server not to put bread on the table. It's a challenge, no doubt about it. My strategy is never to get really hungry. Good luck.
  • crocktherock
    crocktherock Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I understand, I've usually reached diamond level at Hilton before June. Getting into a routine is hard when you're on the road one week, off another. If you have to eat out then plan ahead. I find the mongolian restaurants work well b/c I can load up on all kinds of veggies, throw in a little meat and add some broth-based rather than oil-based sauce. Applebees have the 500 cal or less meals and I don't ask to see the menu. I head for a place that has salads such as Ruby Tuesdays and hold the biscuits please.

I've tried lots of things including toting a large cooler to Homewood Suites where they give you a whole kitchen but that's a lot of work. Planning ahead is definitely key.

Good luck!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Business travel is very difficult. I found it especially hard when it was out of the country, and we went out to dinner together at the end of the day. It was hard to figure out the foods that were new to me and not in English… best guesses, a bit of extra walking… managed to maintain, but not lose during most of the trips.
    Luckily many business hotels have exercise facilities these days. You get to walk a lot through airports. Luggage gives you an opportunity to lift weight. :laugh:
    I take some snack bars (high fiber - usually Luna) to help keep me from getting too hungry and eating the wrong things. And I'll take some tea I like. Drink lots of water (bottled may be best when traveling). Order salads (without dressing or with it on the side) and vegetables in restaurants -- eat those first and don't be afraid to leave lots of food on the plate. (I hate wasting food, but better than messing up your body.) The good thing is that the better restaurants are often good about adjusting orders per request. I was in one hotel restaurant that had some excellent looking salads, but not large enough to be a full meal, so I had one as a first course and another as my main course. (For me, getting enough vegetables and fiber while traveling is difficult, so that's what I focus on.)
    The more you track when you're home, the better you can get at estimating portion size.
    It won't be ideal, but you can get better at it. I look forward to seeing other good suggestions on this topic.
    Good luck! Hope this trip goes smoothly.