Sodium and REAL weight loss

Options
okay... We all know why sodium is bad, at least in large portions. Water retention, increased blood pressure, etc... But does anyone have a more quantitative view on sodium and long term weight loss? Why should avoid foods rich with salt?

Thanks!

Replies

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    wal, i remember reading where ancient Egyptians used it to embalm their dead (mummies ) with it.........that was a red flag to me. I figure if those "mummies" are still around, using salt to perserve a body was enough for me to avoid it like the plague

I like your question, Ill be checking back to see the answers..........great question.....Lloyd
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    same question here- looking forward to your answer
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Putting aside blood pressure and water retention your question has me stumped in terms of long term weight loss.
  • jeesa
    jeesa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it really has anything to do with long term weight loss exactly. Essentially water follows salt so if you have too much of it you will retain too much fluid. If you retain too much fluid it puts pressure on your circulatory system and renal system. As you age you have to be careful of the strain that you put on those systems because they can lead to major problems- kidney disease, chronic hypertension, renal failure, etc.
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    sodium is essential for a healthy heart... in moderation

if you have a high sodium day... couple it with more potassium... which helps expel excess sodium... your body will know how much to get rid of
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    sodium is essential for a healthy heart... in moderation

if you have a high sodium day... couple it with more potassium... which helps expel excess sodium... your body will know how much to get rid of

great point...never thought of adding more potassium to equal out my usual over the board sodium intake - thanks!!!
  • whalenmich7295
    whalenmich7295 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone - Just wanted to wrap this issue up. I found out that (genreally speaking) the higher the sodium, the more processed the food. We want to avoid high processed foods because that means fast food, deep fried, and microwavable!