going raw?

Options
I'm thinking about going raw soon. I was a vegetarian for 2 1/2 years and I think I'm ready to take the next step! In going to do it for 14days and see how I feel overall and if it's something I can stick to. Any suggestions, advice or anyone else who wants to try is welcome:)

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Advice: Don't go raw...
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I always loved it but get bored. I suggest in investing in a Blendtec or Vitamix and an Excaliber Dehydrator along with the spiraller thing and a food processor, and maybe a Breville or decent juicer then Youtubing recipes to keep it interesting. I'm not raw now, but those recipes are still awesome (eggplant bacon, carrot soup, onion bread, ice cream, flax crackers, and so much more) & I'll continue to have them forever! If I recall correctly undrr 118F & it's still consider raw. Good luck! Oh and juiced pineapple is amazing! Btw, you don't NEED that equipment, it just makes life a little easier.
  • letivallejo
    letivallejo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've gone raw a couple times for 30 days and its awesome! At the time I didn't own a juicer or a dehydrator. I kept it very simple with salads. I'd love to join you :) just let me know what day you are thinking of starting. I might be able to get my roommate to join us.
  • jakeya16
    jakeya16 Posts: 40
    Options
    Letivallejo I was thinking of starting on Sunday! If that's too soon, we can push it back:)
  • jakeya16
    Options
    AJ_G, do you mind telling me a little more about why you'd advise me against going raw? Thank you!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Can you explain a bit more what you mean by raw? Just veggies, salads and fruits? Do almond milk with oatmeal count? I am very interested in trying this, but would need some guidance!
    Thanks
    Stef.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Humans have been cooking food for the past 1 million years. What's the problem with it?
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Advice: Don't go raw...

THIS ^^

I am pretty convinced the raw thing is just another fad diet
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options
    Can you explain a bit more what you mean by raw? Just veggies, salads and fruits? Do almond milk with oatmeal count? I am very interested in trying this, but would need some guidance!
    Thanks
    Stef.

Oatmeal would be vegan, not raw. Raw is uncooked fruits, vegetables, etc, no animal products (it's called raw vegan without animal products, raw includes honey). Read David Wolfe or check out some Youtubers, Dan is pretty awesome, freelee is not.
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options
    Humans have been cooking food for the past 1 million years. What's the problem with it?

Raw people would say you're killing a lot of nutritional value. To each their own! :) yolo, and all. People get extreme with it and become the Jehovah Witness of dieting, but it is a whole addicting cultish lifestyle.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Are you scared of food or hate food or your body so much that you would want to live like like that forever? Why? That's no fun. That is suffering. Don't worry I've been down a similar road and turned a corner. Try to find a nice balance.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Going raw and going backwards.......someone has to I guess.
  • kmtbeaulieu
    kmtbeaulieu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I thought about going raw for awhile....but I enjoy warm food too bad. :)
  • jakeya16
    Options
    Going raw is different for everyone but basically has the same rules. You find a good balance for yourself I think for me I want to do between 80-95% raw diet. Now as far as "raw" goes if doesn't have to necessarily be uncooked food! The rule is the food can't be exposed to temperature above 118°f. There are a ton of recipes out there and be things to try that are considered 'raw food'. It's not a fad diet people live their entire lives like this!
  • jakeya16
    Options
    Have you ever noticed the change in color or texture when you cook food? That my friends is the nutrients slipping away!! Going raw isn't a fad it's a way of life just like vegetarianism or veganism. It's definitely not for everybody you have to be focused and have willpower. And you have to do it for the right reasons. If course you will lose weight going from a mostly processed food diet to majority whole foods, but you shouldn't make the transition for weight loss. Do it for your body, longevity, the increase of energy, the better nights sleep. Food should thought of as fuel for the body not comfort!!
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about going raw soon. I was a vegetarian for 2 1/2 years and I think I'm ready to take the next step! In going to do it for 14days and see how I feel overall and if it's something I can stick to. Any suggestions, advice or anyone else who wants to try is welcome:)

How is raw the next step in vegetarianism? surely its an end in itself rather than a stepping stone? although surely Vegan would be the next "step"

Even then... uncooked food.. yukky! Bacon... :(
  • jakeya16
    Options
    Are you scared of food or hate food or your body so much that you would want to live like like that forever? Why? That's no fun. That is suffering. Don't worry I've been down a similar road and turned a corner. Try to find a nice balance.
    I love my body to pieces. In fact I love myself and my body enough to fuel it with whole healthy foods! It's not suffering in my opinion, it's not that different from vegetarianism and I've done that for almost two years. Living raw is not necessarily what people think. In my case my diet would consist of 80-95% 'raw' food. And 'raw' doesn't necessarily mean uncooked just not cooked above 118°f.
  • jakeya16
    Options

How is raw the next step in vegetarianism? surely its an end in itself rather than a stepping stone? although surely Vegan would be the next "step"

I never said it was THE next step it's MY next step!! Please read the previous post concerning what is considered raw and the fact that I can balance it however I want though I choose 80-95% raw. Meaning that 5-15%of what I eat is not raw food and I definitely won't be using any of that ratio to eat bacon! Cured meat is so salted and processed: (
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

I never said it was THE next step it's MY next step!! Please read the previous post concerning what is considered raw and the fact that I can balance it however I want though I choose 80-95% raw. Meaning that 5-15%of what I eat is not raw food and I definitely won't be using any of that ratio to eat bacon! Cured meat is so salted and processed: (

Bacon is good for you. I am pretty sure it counts as a vegetable. :):flowerforyou:
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options
    Eggplant bacon is pretty good. Dehydrator <3