when do u stop your heart rate monitor?

Options
I was just wondering when you stop the calories burned on your heart rate monitor.. is it the second u stop working out? or do you continue to let it run for a bit after?

And if so which amount of calories burned do you use? The one 5/10 mins after (since your heart rate is still up) or just the amount the second you stop working out.

Just curious to see everyones opinion?

Replies

• MrsBrosco
    Options
    Bump
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    I wear mine through the initial workout and cool down.

Once my heart is below my target zone I shut'er down.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I wear mine through the initial workout and cool down.

Once my heart is below my target zone I shut'er down.

Same here! I usually do a cool down for 3 minutes then walk out to my car and shut it off.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I turn mine on right after I sign in at the gym and off when I walk out the door. :) I do it mainly so that I remember to turn it off and on. :)
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Great question! I, too, will be curious of the replys. I stop mine within a few min but have wondered the same thing. I did a little test when I first got mine. Keeping it on the whole work day (I sit a lot) showed an average of 129 cal/hour. I also did it sleeping and was about 75 cal/hr. I would think that following an intense hour-long class at 800+ cal you will continue burning @ a much higher rate for quite some time.
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing - sometimes i go from spin class to strech class * which doesn't burn lots of kcls " but than i go to a zumba class and cont. with some weights- and don't know if i should leave the HRM on all the time i'm at the gym or turn it off while i have this breaks /for switching classes/ changing workout etc.. ? ..
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'll give myself a few minutes until my heart rate is in a more normal range (around 100), then I'll shut it off. If I worked out at home, that's usually after I've quickly prepared dinner and thrown it in the oven. At the gym, I'll shut it off when I sit down in my car to go home. I also subtract out the total number of calories that I would have burned at rest for the entire time the HRM was on. So if I burned 500 calories in 50 minutes, I'd log 450.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    My heart rate drops back to normal fairly quickly so I try and stop it as quickly as possible. I also keep my warm-up/main/cool-down separate. Just a personal preference as I like to know where my heart rate was during the main and I could care less where it is during the warm-up and cool-down.
  • cabrzama
    cabrzama Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing is to do something that is consistent. I do 30 min. cardio and 30 min. weight lifting. It's impossible to measure the two the same way because of all the breaks in between lifting sets. Rather than worry that much about it, I do like one or two others on here and just start it when I begin at the gym and stop it when I end. I check it every 5 to 10 min while working out to make sure my pace is good and to see that my heart rate is elevating to the levels I want/need. Love using the heart rate monitor. I have been able to increase my intensity on days when the heart rate is not as high while lifting weights, whereas I might not otherwise have seen or felt a difference. And the calories burned on machines isn't nearly as accurate as my monitor so love that too.
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Great topic
    Bump to see what others say
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I think the most important thing is to do something that is consistent. I do 30 min. cardio and 30 min. weight lifting. It's impossible to measure the two the same way because of all the breaks in between lifting sets. Rather than worry that much about it, I do like one or two others on here and just start it when I begin at the gym and stop it when I end. I check it every 5 to 10 min while working out to make sure my pace is good and to see that my heart rate is elevating to the levels I want/need. Love using the heart rate monitor. I have been able to increase my intensity on days when the heart rate is not as high while lifting weights, whereas I might not otherwise have seen or felt a difference. And the calories burned on machines isn't nearly as accurate as my monitor so love that too.

HRMs are useless at measuring your heart rate and calories burned during strength training.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I stop mine after I clean my cardio machine. I figure that anything burnt after that is an added bonus!
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!