Why are my arms still flabby?

Options
I've been doing free weights, the plank and some push ups for a few months now. I can feel real muscle in my biceps and forearms (it's so cool!) but when I looked at pictures of myself from this past weekend, my arms still look like wide loads hanging from my shoulders. I don't want to look like Mike the Situation but I don't want flab flying everywhere when I dance! (I may or may not enjoy fist pumping :bigsmile: )

Do you have any exercise suggestions?
When my free weight routine becomes too easy, should I add weight or repetition?

Thanks!!

Replies

• hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Stregth training is great for toning, but I was told once, that it can often build up muscle under the fat - I have the same issue. To burn the fat, you really need to do cardio and high intensity workout...then when the fat melts away, the toning will show more.
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've read that it's just part of being a woman and that you can't get rid of it completely. I call it my "old lady fat" though I'm not that old. I'll definitely follow this thread though in the hopes that someone does have a trick to get rid of it!
  • whalenmich7295
    whalenmich7295 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree somewhat withwhat Holly Said....

Yes, in order to get rid of the "goo" factor, you need to be doing some cardio training. But it needs to be paired with HEAVY strengh training. I would suggest getting into a routine that really hits those iso-training movements. The arm (above the elbow) is made up essentially three muscles.

-Tricep
    -Bicep
    Deltoid (shoulder)

try hitting those with DIFFERNT movements as much as possible.
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    maybe do some Triceps work? My triceps is where my floppy flab is.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    To firm the triceps do bench dips. You can do them from any chair at home too. I also use Nivea firming cream morning and night (I'm 58, so gravity is stronger than I am!) and I've noticed a difference. We are ballroom dancers, so firm arms are important to me too. I hear you about the pictures!! UGH!!! And you can add weight without a problem. You're not going to get "Situation" bulky. You'd have to lift a whole lot of weight every day for a long time!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Some people are genetically programmed to carry extra weight around their thighs, some around their waist, etc. I remember when Oprah lost all the weight, she still had those large upper arms. Don't know if there is any way other than fat reduction all over your body. You can't spot reduce.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    If you are truly serious about toning up more, I would suggest that you try workout DVD's such as Chelean Extreme or Power 90.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Some people think building muscle in that one spot will cause the flab to go away. WRONG. Muscle will build UNDER that layer of fat which is why for example, doing crunches over and over is not going to get rid of the stomach pooch. Cardio is what gets rid of fat. Do cardio and eventually the flab will go away and remember you cannot spot reduce. It'll go when that's where your body targets it's loss.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Love this post . . . I call them my "bat wings" because that seems to be the LAST place that fat is leaving my body . . . well other than some junk still in my trunk.
    I've been adding in extra reps of my tricep moves into my strength training every 2nd day trying to lessen those myself, plus really working my arms in my cardio sessions on the alternate days. I am definately looking forward to the day when I have more toned arms.
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE believer in CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO TONE. As women we have to burn more fat than men because we were made to house children and men were made to hunt. LOL. Sounds silly, but it's true. Work on more cardio and you WILL see more results!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone on here, cardio and continuing your strength training will help. I've built up some nice arm muscles from Chalean Extreme and Turbo Fire, but if I hold my arms out, there's still some "bat wing" action going on. And I've realized it doesn't have a ton to do with fat. I can tell the fat is going away, it's the skin that hasn't snapped back yet, so that plays a factor. I've been rubbing Bio Oil on my upper arms every night to help get the skin back to normal. And it is, slowly. So keep up your routine and give it some time for your skin to catch up to what's underneath it. With only another 10-15 lbs for me to lose, that's the biggest issue now, I dropped the weight, the skin is slower in responding, but it has over time.