1200 calorie diaries

Options
nikir37
nikir37 Posts: 27 Member
Hi I'm looking for some friends who are on 1200 calorie diaries. I've found I'm eating the same foods over and over as I know they fit into my allowance. I think seeing other diaries for meal ideas and support would be good because 1200 calories is not alot haha :) Also interested to see if people are more successful with small meals or 3 main meals (like I'm doing the now).

Replies

• zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I doubt my dairy will be too inspiring but I'll add you. I do three main meals and a many snacks as I can fit in.
  • bweck33
    bweck33 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    hiiii! 1200 here. :smile:

I find it fairly easy to stay under 1200 calories. I try to focus on fiber and protein. I find that I stay fuller longer.

& I made a rule for myself to never go over 1200. I ignore the net calories.

You lose weight faster and your workouts are more effective. :) add me.
  • KatieJane10x
    KatieJane10x Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200... Add me :)
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    I am on much more now that I am at maintenance and am doing a lot of exercise but when I first started out and was mainly sedentary I ate lots of salads filled with lettuce and cucumbers for lunches and Greek yogurt and berry smoothies for breakfast. I drank water between meals and chewed gum. I kept dinners pretty much the same as they are now because I like to eat a lot at night.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I find it fairly easy to stay under 1200 calories. I try to focus on fiber and protein. I find that I stay fuller longer.

You are damaging yourself doing this.

If you stay under 1200 and do not eat your exercise calories back your body is going to not get enough of the calories and nutrients your body needs and yes while you will lose "weight" fast it will be fat and muscle.

Your workouts are not more effective on a VLCD.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Not sure why you are all on 1200 calories restrictions.....

The goal should be to eat as much as possible and still lose weight.

I eat 1700 a day and lose 3/4lb a week and based on my ticker it's working.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

^that's terrible advice right there. Losing faster does not equate better. Lose too fast you lose muscle, too which caaan include vital organs. I'm not saying don't do 1200, but that calorie amount is very aggressive and accounts for someone being sedentary, so exercising gives you MORE calories. I lose weight on 1700 net, even at 5'3.5 " and 116 lbs. To put it into perspective

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options

You are damaging yourself doing this.

If you stay under 1200 and do not eat your exercise calories back your body is going to not get enough of the calories and nutrients your body needs and yes while you will lose "weight" fast it will be fat and muscle.

Your workouts are not more effective on a VLCD.

Glad you came by to address this. I didn't have the patience to....
  • nikir37
    nikir37 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise :) I'm going on 1200 as recommend by MFP to lose 2lb a week. I have to admit I have not been netting 1200 calories... I think I will try and do so and see how that affects me (may even try and net 1300 - 1400) as my weight loss has stopped the last few weeks.
    Scary thought though! Increasing calories to lose weight just sounds odd ha ha :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

amen. 1200 is rarely what folks need, it's just what MFP tells them because they put the wrong information in.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is pretty much the same for me every day - but my dinners and lunches vary...take a look - I ALWAYS eat my exercise calories back...ALWAYS. losing weight fast is never a smart idea - it's simply not sustainable and you will set yourself up for failure down the road.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Thanks for the advise :) I'm going on 1200 as recommend by MFP to lose 2lb a week. I have to admit I have not been netting 1200 calories... I think I will try and do so and see how that affects me (may even try and net 1300 - 1400) as my weight loss has stopped the last few weeks.
    Scary thought though! Increasing calories to lose weight just sounds odd ha ha :)

with the amount of weight you have to lose 2lbs a week is too fast.

1/2lb a week is a good healthy rate.

If you find you are not losing after a couple of weeks look at your diary and your logging...

Weight your food, log everything, and ensure you are using the correct entries.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

MFP gives lots of users 1200......it's just the lowest DEFAULT, not a recommendation for number of calories appropriate for your age, size, etc. A woman who is 6' tall can get a 1200 calorie "recommendation" if she sets her goal high enough.

Netting ........MFP gives you (a generous) calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. When you exercise you actually increase that deficit more. Are you looking lower your body fat%? That's healthy weight loss. Fuel your workouts to keep muscle.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have some days at 1200, some higher. I spend some days with my boyfriend and we are awesome cooks, so it all evens out over the course of the week. Of course, this week I've had strep and everything is unappetizing and painful...
  • MsDillieBar
    MsDillieBar Posts: 414 Member
    Options

Agreed!!! I find myself cringing every time I read that someone is intentional eating UNDER 1200 calories everyday! There is nothing - NOTHING - that supports that as a healthy option!!!!! :noway:
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

with the amount of weight you have to lose 2lbs a week is too fast.

1/2lb a week is a good healthy rate.

If you find you are not losing after a couple of weeks look at your diary and your logging...

Weight your food, log everything, and ensure you are using the correct entries.

This! I quickly realized that 1200 was not the way to go. Slow and steady wins the race. 1600-1800 is my ideal range and I'm losing fat and retaining muscle as a result. :)