One month into lifting and BF% went up!

Options
I started StrongLifts 5x5 about a month ago and have really been enjoying it. I've made gains nearly every session and have been keeping track of my food intake to not go super overboard my 1400 calorie goal.

About a month ago, I measured my BF% at my gym using one of those micro electric current readers (looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Omron-Monitor-model-HBF-306C-Black/dp/B000FYZMYK/ref=pd_sim_hpc_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1QB1MAJ834SN2AK7PMVE). I measured again today feeling pretty optimistic because I've definitely been gaining muscle without gaining weight. My BF% went up a percent! I'm trying not to feel discouraged and maybe it's just from errors built into the way it's measured(?) but booo! It stinks. I also made sure to measure at about the same time of day and with no prior eating or exercise (in the morning).

Does anyone have advice on why that could be or what I could do more to try and get my BF% down? Thanks!

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Bioelectrical impedance body fat monitors are worse than looking at pictures imo. Doing stronglifts and losing weight you're not gaining fat.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have a scale that measures body fat. If I step on it before I get into the shower, then again after my shower when I am damp (and a better conductor) my % is lower than before I went it. Jwdieter is correct. Stay the course. :flowerforyou:
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My understanding is those aren't very accurate.

If you want consistency and accuracy, you will need to do another method of testing. (But even then, I think the tests can be affected by various factors including how hydrated you are).
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Stick to measurements.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    How do your clothes fit now? That's a better measure too.
  • deeders1220
    deeders1220 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My clothes are fitting well, not needing smaller sizes YET but definitely not needing bigger. I try and take measurements and pictures for progress checks too so I'll just try and ignore the scales and focus on that :). Thanks for the sanity check errbody!
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Wanna know how accurate those BIA monitors are? Here's my data for the last year or so. Sometimes I gain or lose 6-7 lbs of LBM in a day. Talk about freaking out :noway: The red diamonds are from my BodPod visits. Unfortunately, they haven't moved a lot.

Relax and enjoy the ride.

LBM20140327.png
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Those are terribly inaccurate.

My advice is keep in mind muscle builds SLOW and especially when first starting out you might gain some water retention weight. But lifting weights is an awesome decision on your part and one that is going to make your body look amazing as well as healthier.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Wanna know how accurate those BIA monitors are? Here's my data for the last year or so. Sometimes I gain or lose 6-7 lbs of LBM in a day. Talk about freaking out :noway: The red diamonds are from my BodPod visits. Unfortunately, they haven't moved a lot.

LBM20140327.png

That is seriously great data! And so helpful in explaining exactly why the bio-impedance machines (scales or otherwise, are pretty much crap).

Thanks for sharing!
  • deeders1220
    deeders1220 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I promise to keep lifting and continue to enjoy this ride up Mt. Swolympus... (Sorry I had to).
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

LBM20140327.png

I like your graph.

And yep, bioimpedance are average. I did a test by testing then drinking 1L of water. Changed by 3% BF :laugh:
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    they give you different results depending on when you've eaten last, your level of hydration etc. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. You will see the difference in the long run.
    I actually own this BFT monitor and it is supposed to be really good, but I still can see fluctuations. As it measures your bioelectriical resistance, it will differ from one day to the next. Mine went up 10 % in a day. The first measurement was taken in the am after geetting up, it said 15% less boday fat than when I started last July and then later in the day, it told me about 10% less. (The first measurement had gotten me really excited too :smile: . So I was very disappointed. But thinking about it , it the second measurement was probably more realistic than the first :smile: )