closer to goal and losing my motivation

Options
I'm less than 10lbs from normal. I still want to reach my goal, but I'm already itching to move into maintenance. I know I wouldn't be truly satisfied yet, but it is so tempting to up my calories and slack some.

I think it just feels nice to be almost normal. I feel attractive, healthy, and happy. And thus less driven. Any suggestions to keep going full steam ahead until a bit closer to my goal?

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I been having the same issue. I am really close to normal weight. My motivation has been lacking. I think for me its due to long winter and just burned out from all of it. Hang in there.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    That's really where we begin to winnow folks out, isn't it? I've been there. You aren't fired up anymore and so you let the reigns out.

That's fine if you can control how much slack you give yourself. I've proven to myself that I cannot.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    That's really where we begin to winnow folks out, isn't it? I've been there. You aren't fired up anymore and so you let the reigns out.

That's fine if you can control how much slack you give yourself. I've proven to myself that I cannot.
    and also with you.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    At least we aren't alone. We can do it. Woo hoo. I'm going to focus on giving myself a normal weight. Then giving myself some cushion so eating a big meal doesn't push me over. And then if I'm happy I'll start a slow transition to maintenance.

Maybe just thinking of it as 15 lbs will help me stay true.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    maintenance is as hard if not harder than losing weight...it is a very tight rope to walk and if at close to goal and are letting things slip you need to take a step back and think about it.

At maintenance you will still need to count, log and think about what you are eating.

At least at a deficet you have a goal, lose weight...at maintenance it's well..nada...maintenance there is no thrill when you step on the scale and see it going down...it stays the same (if you are lucky and smart about it)

I am very close and not letting up. I will eat at my average deficet of 1700 until I hit goal...

I have other goals tho not just scale weight...I have BF% goals, weight lifting goals...

don't slide now you are too close.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Been there. So I loosened up the reins a little. And then I let go of them completely. And here I am trying to lose the 10 lbs I gained back. :grumble:

All I'm saying is, be careful here. This is treacherous water. My recommendation would be to change up your routine. Try working out in a way you haven't before -- if you've never tried running, or bicycling, or lifting, or whatever, try it now. Something new to give you some different results might be just the ticket to get you fired back up again.
  • aprilw2222
    aprilw2222 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am curious how long it has taken each of you to lose the pounds you have already lost. I have a goal to lose 30 pounds but before I started this I gained six and have lost that now and a few extra pounds so I am moving in the right direction but I am feeling like I want it to happen quicker and I know that is not good for long term weight loss. To all of you who have come this far I say don't give up now. Glad that you are reaching your goals.
  • Dan6000istheman
    Dan6000istheman Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I been having the same issue. I am really close to normal weight. My motivation has been lacking. I think for me its due to long winter and just burned out from all of it. Hang in there.

I agree!! The WINTER blues are discouraging!
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Find a new passion...some new workout routine. Something you can get excited about.

Also, if I'm struggling with just a few pounds, sometimes it helps to go and buy a new pair of jeans that I can't quite fit into.

On the other side of this, if you're not in a hurry to "stop losing", then maybe give yourself a bit of a break on the weekends. Eat at maintenance on the weekends, and keep your normal deficit during the week. Might even make the transition to maintenance a bit easier.

As the above person said - maintenance can be hard. When there is no weekly reward for staying within your calories, it's easy to slip up more and more often. To slack too much because you're comfortable. Whatever you decide, go slowly... :)
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    To the one who asked how long its taken to lose the weight. For me its been 2 years and one month.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I'm less than 10lbs from normal. I still want to reach my goal, but I'm already itching to move into maintenance. I know I wouldn't be truly satisfied yet, but it is so tempting to up my calories and slack some.

I think it just feels nice to be almost normal. I feel attractive, healthy, and happy. And thus less driven. Any suggestions to keep going full steam ahead until a bit closer to my goal?
    Do something NEW. Take a class you haven't before...been meaning to try spinning? Kickboxing? Archery? Brazilian dance-fighting? (MEET THE FOKKERS reference..) Do it.

If you run/walk, go a different route..drive to a walking path cross-town and do it there.

Go biking.

Go swimming.

Join a volleyball/badminton/basketball/horseshoes/bobsledding/etc. league.

Change it up
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I am curious how long it has taken each of you to lose the pounds you have already lost. I have a goal to lose 30 pounds but before I started this I gained six and have lost that now and a few extra pounds so I am moving in the right direction but I am feeling like I want it to happen quicker and I know that is not good for long term weight loss. To all of you who have come this far I say don't give up now. Glad that you are reaching your goals.
    I have lost 33.5 pounds (slightly more than your goal) and at a pace of 1-2 pounds per week it has taken me from October until last week. Still have quite a few more to go though :laugh:
  • hannaawh
    hannaawh Posts: 51
    Options
    If you're 10lbs away from your goal, you can totally go up with your calories. But do it little by little.. I mean if you're at a small calorie deficit, you will still lose weight and start to get used to your new healthy lifestile! :)
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I'm nearly in the healthy weight range (about 7 or 8lbs away from the top of the range). I gave myself some slack around Christmas and it ended up lasting for 3 months. I pretty much maintained for that time but it was frustrating to hover around the same 2lbs for so long. Now I'm back at it and feeling a lot more driven.

The moral of my story was that you can give yourself some slack but make sure it's not enough to hang yourself. I thought about dropping my calories to lose more. But then realized my struggles were an issue of compliance; a slightly smaller deficit that is easier to stick to won out for me.