Struggling to understand carb cycling......help!

Options
Hi
Ive read that carb cycling can help with plateaus and works well for fat loss. I have put on 1 stone in the last 7 months and am struggling to lose it even though I am training 3 times a week and occasionally running. I generally eat a clean healthy diet, maybe having one treat a week. Can anyone explain what I should do to implement carb cycling into my diet? I do an aerobic class on a monday, and weight train wednesdays and fridays if that helps.

Many thanks.
xx

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you have put on a stone in 7 months, you are eating roughly 250 cals too many each day...

you don't need to carb cycle, you just need ot eat in a deficit to lose weight.
  • everythings_rosie
    everythings_rosie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    but Id like to understand carb cycling
  • everythings_rosie
    everythings_rosie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Anybody???
  • JocyChan
    JocyChan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Ive read that carb cycling can help with plateaus and works well for fat loss. I have put on 1 stone in the last 7 months and am struggling to lose it even though I am training 3 times a week and occasionally running. I generally eat a clean healthy diet, maybe having one treat a week. Can anyone explain what I should do to implement carb cycling into my diet? I do an aerobic class on a monday, and weight train wednesdays and fridays if that helps.

Many thanks.
    xx

It does nothing special, despite claims from various gurus. There may possibly be some merit for those with extremely low bf% but for the vast majority of the population won't do anything special
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Hi

Many thanks.
    xx
    Carb Cycling - by Chris Powell
    Monday - High Calories & High Carbs.
    Tuesday Low calories & low Carbs
    Wednesday HIgh Calories & High carbs
    Thursday Low calories & carbs
    etc..
    for me..
    I eat between 1500 - 1700
    On High days I eat 1700 - 1800 calories and try to max out my carbs. ( 200 + grams )
    On Low days I try to eat 1400 - 1500 with 100 carbs
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    It does nothing special, despite claims from various gurus. There may possibly be some merit for those with extremely low bf% but for the vast majority of the population won't do anything special

Aren't you a ray of sunshine..
    why not put on 50lbs and tell us for sure that carb cycling does not work.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Pretty much anything that includes a caloric deficit at the end of a time period will work.
    But for all intents and purposes, you're not going to burn more fat at a 10% deficit with carb cycling vs a straight 10% deficit. To say otherwise is ridiculous.
  • Acg67
    Options

Isn't your reading comprehension strong...

Where did I ever state that carb cycling doesn't work?
  • Acg67
    Options
    Hi

Many thanks.
    xx
    etc..
    for me..
    On High days I eat 1700 - 1800 calories and try to max out my carbs. ( 200 + grams )

And a 190lb+ male eating between 1400-1800 cals? Lollercoaster
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Did it. The only reason carb cycling "works" is because in most instances people do not replace the calories they are cutting from carbs on the low carb day. Thus, it just creates a larger calorie deficit...

You can attain the same thing through a mild deficit across the board.

The OP's issue is the fact that she "eats clean with occasional treats", but doesn't accurately track or log food. Underestimating caloric intake or overestimating caloric burns.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    bump action jackson! I would like to understand it myself. Not sure I would ever do it though.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Are you consistently and accurately logging your food (with food scale)?
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Op it's where you eat really clean one day and really dirty the next. Eating junks food first followed by clean foods tricks your body into fat burning. It's like muscle confusion, I'll call it body confusion.

I am science.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi

Many thanks.
    xx
    etc..
    for me..

Eating at those levels means you are at a deficit. It's not the carb cycling, but the deficit that is allowing you to lose weight.

If carb cycling allows you to more easily eat at a deficit, then that it one thing. But it's not the carb cycling that directly enables you to lose weight - it's the deficit.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Carb cycling would be considered an advanced technique of questionable value.

You are failing at the basics.

The basics work. You're not failing to lose weight because you're not carb cycling - you're failing to lose weight because you are not adequately controlling your calorie intake.

Get the fundamentals going before you start trying to do something esoteric.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

So you think that eating only 1600 calories a day has nothing to do with it?
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    The most important info I learned this month is this: log accurately

Measure everything yourself ( 4 calories for each gram of carbs and protein 9 calories for each gram of fats) Start with getting your "food gauge" down pat and a good training program Then move onto these "advanced" concepts They take monitoring and tweaking to get it down pat (aka right for you) If you cannot log/ maintain an exercise program then carb cycling is not going to happen