Low impact home cardio exersises?

Options
Hi! I'm a noob at exercising. I've never been very good at it. But I really want to figure out something to do now, because I just recently lost my job, which makes me even more sedentary than I was before. I was really bulking up, but now I'm getting a grip and trying to get better.

ANYWAY, I have a leg that was broken badly a few years ago, and my knee still acts up because of it. So I'm trying to figure out a cardio exercise I can do at home that won't bother my knee. Anyone have suggestions?

Also, does anyone know whether or not squats are okay for the knees? I was wanting to also try out the 30 day squat challenge, but when I do squats, my bad knee creaks and pops. It scares/concerns me a little.

Replies

• thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love my bike, stationary bike and elliptical machines for low impact cardio.

Knee problems and squats scare me a bit. Not to say it's not possible. Go light at first. Very light. maybe no weights at all.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i've got a really dodgy knee and was always told squats and lunges were the best way to build it up, you may want to check with somebody more professional though before jumping into something that could damage you
    youtube has got some brilliant free workouts on there, you should be able to find something that suits you on there
    when i'm having trouble with my knee i find doing kickboxing workouts dont impact me as much as say doing 30 day shred but each persons low impact perspective will be different
    good luck and hope you find something x
  • nks798
    nks798 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Check out Leslie Sansone walking videos :)
  • acb2144
    acb2144 Posts: 34
    Options
    Sorry about your job loss!
    You might want to check out fitnessblender.com, as well. They have many free low impact cardio (and "quiet cardio") workout videos that might be easy on your knee. That would provide a lot of variety. I love their workouts!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's walking DVDs are pretty good cardio with low impact. In regards to the squats, perhaps you could start with a few bodyweight squats a day and work up.
  • waluouija
    waluouija Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everybody!

I'm looking into your recommendations. I plan on scraping myself out of my bed and trying these workouts this afternoon!
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Back on Pointe has a lot of good exercise plans that are either beginner, low impact/jump free:

http://backonpointe.tumblr.com/post/25091006758/are-you-brand-new-to-fitness-want-to-work-out-but
    http://backonpointe.tumblr.com/post/41452710917/if-youre-living-in-an-apartment-or-on-the-top

Those are ones I can remember at the moment.

Also, Jane Fonda has some good gentle workouts that are on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UabUNrjSE4