I'm 55 - it's now or never!

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking forward to interacting with you as we practice taking better care of our bodies. :smile: I'm new to MFP, but not to weight loss. I was a chubby kid and a very overweight teen. My adult weight has gone from 220 to 450. I lost 165 pounds 15 years ago and managed to keep off about 120 pounds, but it's time to lose the rest and finally achieve the success in this area of my life that I've been able to achieve professionally and academically. I've found that what works best for me is accountability (TOPS - Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) support group helps - there's one or more in every city and it's only about $40 a year to join. Seeing others in my position and still others who have lost their weight and are valiantly working to maintain it is inspiring and extremely helpful.

* Tip of the day: Plan your food the day before - it WORKS. If I don't have to look around in my cupboards or peruse the menu at a restaurant because I've already pre-determined my menu for that day it REALLY helps me to stay on track. And drink 64 oz water daily, minimum. My weight loss DOUBLED when I started drinking water! :drinker:

**Tip of the year - Include something you like/want for your favorite meal (as long as it doesn't act as a trigger for you) within your calorie limits for the day. I have two light meals that aren't necessarily delicious, just serve as energy for my body and then I have one "good meal" to look forward to. I also try to include all the food groups every day.

Any advice on how to get in more fruits and vegetables? If you're like me they have never been a big part of your diet and it's difficult to manage 4 - 5 servings.

Have a Fantastic Friday! :happy: Smiles,
Debi

Replies

• vanryswicksl
    vanryswicksl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good morning Debi,

I love your smile in your profile picture and that you are looking to eat healthy to achieve your weight loss. You are my inspiration this morning to work on planning out my meals and make sure they are more balanced since I am currently the lazy mom who fixes the kids food and then just pulls something out of the freezer to heat up without really thinking.

Welcome to MFP and keep up the good work.
    Susan
  • gino715
    gino715 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you know what you need to do. Good luck to you
  • jlubbe68
    jlubbe68 Posts: 5
    Options
    I am 45 and I have gone through a lot physically in the past few years. Hypothyroidism doesn't help in weight loss. I am a breast cancer survivor so I use my inability to lift over a certain amount of weight as a reason not to get up and exercise. I am married to a man six years younger but I feel like I am 60 years older than he is. I want to get back to where I was so long ago. Having energy and will power. I am a member of the Y and don't go and I thought Planet Fitness might be a better place for me. They have at no extra cost a fitness trainer to help you with an exercise routine. I work in a healthcare facility that has a wellness center just down the hall, which I do not utilize. I am hoping I can meet some people on this site to help encourage me.
  • jlubbe68
    jlubbe68 Posts: 5
    Options
    I do the same thing with fast food, but my husband likes to have decent meals. We have been married almost three years. The Fast Food definitely is down and I am trying to buy meals that fills us up enough to not want seconds. I have two kids overweight and I blame myself. I want to help them too.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Yes it is now or never. I joined MFP 2010 (I was 59). Best thing I have done for my health in years!!!!!!!!! Been on maintenance since end of 2011, but have crept up over the winter due to TOO MUCH WINTER and having physical issues with my DH - he needed constant attention for about 2 months. He is doing better and now I am too, getting those last 10 off (again).

Use this wonderful tool to help you stay accountable, get your energy back! The more you move, the more you want to move!
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 too and I started my journey on 6/14/13. And I've been more successful than I could have ever imagined. I still have a ways to go, but I now KNOW I will get there. And so will you!
  • prabbitts
    prabbitts Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's now! Never is not a path that exist! Do it now, burn all bridges to any other options! Have a great new journey!