starting SL 5x5

Options
HI. I am a 48 yo female who would like to start the Strong Lift 5x5 program next week. I printed out the exercises and program but I am still confused on what weight I should start at for most of the exercises and how to figure out what weights to use for the warm up each day. Can any one help me with this? Thanks!

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I would begin with just the bar to get the form and technique down. I use a site called Warmupreps.com for my warm up weights.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Check out the women's SL group - there is a lot of good info.

Most start with just the bar and work up.
  • EatAllTheCake
    EatAllTheCake Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would begin with just the bar to get the form and technique down. I use a site called Warmupreps.com for my warm up weights.

This exactly is what I did and do too. If you need to start at less weight than the bar some gyms have smaller bars with weights attached already that you can use.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I sent you an invite to the SL 5X5 women's group. There are posts in there about how to start and a summary of what to do. I started 4 weeks ago and I'm still learning but they are a great help.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

This. I started at 54 years old and LOVE IT! I also started with just the bar. Have fun!
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love to see women doing stronglifts or any kind of progressive overload training. Benefits of it are awesome.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I started StrongLifts last October, at 57, and found I love lifting!

I had a couple of sessions with a trainer, who knew what she was doing, show me the lifts and she also recommended some starting weights for me. I still ended up using the first day to play around to see what felt right to me. You have to find a good balance, because the weight gets heavy pretty quickly. Don't stress over it too much, because you can always adjust at any time.

Come check out the group. There's lots of good information there and several ladies in their 40s and 50s.