E cig users that have stopped smoking...need advice

Options
So, it's been over a week since I quit smoking and have been using my e cig to help me quit. I haven't had any lapse in this period but I have been experiencing dry mouth and nasal congestion, I assume it's caused by the e cig. Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to head it off? Thanks

Replies

• eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    So, it's been over a week since I quit smoking and have been using my e cig to help me quit. I haven't had any lapse in this period but I have been experiencing dry mouth and nasal congestion, I assume it's caused by the e cig. Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to head it off? Thanks

I only used one very infrequently (bought 1 Blu and tossed it after a week - it was no nicotine anyway)
    the congestion may be your body clearing the crap (mine did that for quite a while) If the E-Cig is no nicotine at 7 days you should be hitting the point it's good to give up (they are full of crap as well, just not the tar and different chemicals - and the nicotine ones keep you tied to the addiction (and feeding cash to the tobacco industry they have bought up almost all the e-cig business so i would trust the studies promoting them as a safe alternative as much as i trust any other study funded by the tobacco companies)
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options

I think a dry mouth is quite normal. Just drink more water. I didn't experience congestion, but it could be just your body cleaning out the junk as it recovers from the chemicals in cigarettes. Ive heard tales of people feeling rough for a while after giving up smoking due to that (although i felt fine). Well done for switching! I switched a year ago (I'm still using e-cigs) and its a great way to give up smoking. You won't regret it! :smile:
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hey..

My name is Romy. i started my weight loss and no cigs journey 25 days ago.
    I havent smoked except once but other than that i dont smoke.
    Honestly its really just all in the mind. I find other things to distract my stress.
    When i was stressed i would go for a cig. sociol enviorments i would want to smoke. everything made me want to smoke.
    but after 2 weeks mann i just wake up and i can breath crisp fresh air and its a wonderful feeling. and when i did smoke that cig that once i was coughing up in the morning like i had never stopped. but the difference is just amazing.
    Theres so much more to life than smoking cigaretts( i know easier said than done ) but it feels good to be healthy, it feels good to be in conrtol.. And since i stopped i have saved 146 dollars..
    crazy crazy..

goodluck
    you can do it
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    What kind of juice are you using? If you find the problem persists, try buying liquids with higher VG to PG ratios, or 100% VG. Some people do not tolerate propylene glycol well, and need to use e-liquid made of all or mostly vegetable glycerin. But dry mouth is pretty common when using e-cigs (especially the high PG), just drink lots of water. I know people who had problems with congestion and sore throat when they first started vaping and gave up cigs, but it subsided. If not....try the higher VG.
  • ghafer
    ghafer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It has been 3 1/2 years since I used the e-cig to stop smoking and I smoked for a LONG time! I found that rinsing with salt water a couple of times a day and OCCSASIONAL use of a saline nasal spray helped me with those mild problems. I made of my mind that whatever the symptoms were associated with the withdrawal would be minor compared to what I was doing to myself each time I lit up a cigarette or 'smoked' an e-cig.... and believe me, I was quite aware, as I was a hospice nurse! I only used the e-cig for about a week, kept it around for about two months as a 'security' measure. My husband also used it to stop smoking. Good decision on your part, success is right around the corner!!
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    What kind of juice are you using? If you find the problem persists, try buying liquids with higher VG to PG ratios, or 100% VG. Some people do not tolerate propylene glycol well, and need to use e-liquid made of all or mostly vegetable glycerin. But dry mouth is pretty common when using e-cigs (especially the high PG), just drink lots of water. I know people who had problems with congestion and sore throat when they first started vaping and gave up cigs, but it subsided. If not....try the higher VG.

I think I have both, but not completely certain. I will check when I get home and keep VG in mind when buying next time. Thanks for the input.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It has been 3 1/2 years since I used the e-cig to stop smoking and I smoked for a LONG time! I found that rinsing with salt water a couple of times a day and OCCSASIONAL use of a saline nasal spray helped me with those mild problems. I made of my mind that whatever the symptoms were associated with the withdrawal would be minor compared to what I was doing to myself each time I lit up a cigarette or 'smoked' an e-cig.... and believe me, I was quite aware, as I was a hospice nurse! I only used the e-cig for about a week, kept it around for about two months as a 'security' measure. My husband also used it to stop smoking. Good decision on your part, success is right around the corner!!

I've been using a saline rinse for my nose as I refuse to use nasal sprays. I'll try the salt water rinse tonight. Thanks
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

I think I have both, but not completely certain. I will check when I get home and keep VG in mind when buying next time. Thanks for the input.

Some vendors are better at labeling them than others. And if you're buying it from a place that makes their own, they can usually mix it at any ratio you ask for. Hopefully it'll just stop on it's own. PG is better for "throat hit" and feels more like real smoke, which is better for someone who just quit smoking. VG is better for flavor.