Eating out & trying to plan my meal ahead of time

Options
Hello!!! I am on day 11 of my MFP journey! Weekends tend to be my toughest times in general, and this one is no exception. We are heading out to Hu Hot Mongolian Grill for dinner with our boys tonight. For those who don't know, it is a build your own meal buffet style and they cook it up on a hot grill in front of you. Very good, but very salty!

I am trying to plan out my meal as much as I can, but I know I won't be as accurate as I am at home because I am not going to have my measuring cups handy to figure out portions. I do plan on getting a good workout and drinking a good deal of water before we go, so I have a few extra calories to play around with

Part of me wants to go in with the mindset of not trying to worry about measuring at all. It's a special night out, I've done good all week, and I shouldn't stress too much about one meal. I always drink water when I am there (up to 3-4 glasses because it is quite salty), and if I eat healthy throughout the day today and get a good workout in, I will be good.

Am I overthinking this? What do you do when you go out to place where you cannot very accurately measure out the portions you want to eat? And how do you then log it at the end of the day? Do you guesttimate your portions the best that you can?

Please share your thoughts!!!

TIA :)

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    My advice, just only have vegetable and meat and as little oil as they'll let you use. Don't use the rice or tortillas or whatever. Don't drink any calories. Then I'd guesstimate the calories, based on the serving sizes I've been learning at home from cooking my own meals with my digital scale.
  • AprilTom
    AprilTom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Can you look on their website? Quite a few restaurants have nutrition information on their sites now, that way you can pick what you want ahead of time and now the information on it.
  • AprilTom
    AprilTom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I actually just looked up their website and they have a create a meal option so you can know what you are eating. :)
  • michelle_816
    michelle_816 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I do plan to use their website to guesttimate totals. My worry is the accuracy in what I record vs how much I am actually putting in my bowl.

I do not plan on drinking any calories!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead of time.

Here you are:

http://www.huhot.com/uploads/docs/allergy-nutrition.11x17.rev.2.14.pdf

Do your best guessing because one day isn't going to hurt you.

Enjoy!
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Stick with a protein and a veggie and you cant really go wrong with that. Meal will be under 1000 calories.
  • jmessina205
    jmessina205 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'd say look at the website and try to get as close as you can. Otherwise try not get too worked up about it. It's one meal, a special night out with your family. You didn't gain all the weight off of one meal, and one meal wont make you gain all the weight back :smile:
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    You've been given wonderful advice already as far as your actual question but I couldn't help but notice your mention of having cups and spoons at home. No mention of a scale. That may work for you but take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

If you find that you aren't losing weight after a bit of time, you may want to consider getting a scale for more accuracy.
  • StephyA86
    StephyA86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Look up a portion size guide. I believe 3oz of protein is roughly the size of a deck of cards. Eyeball it and load up on veggies. I was just there a few weeks back, I think they've put some lower calorie options (like broth) for sauces. Don't stress too much over it!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Am I overthinking this?

Yes, enjoy a night out, guestimate your calories and don't look back. One meal is not going to derail you completely.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest a to-go plate. Those portions are usually huge at those places...which is a good thing! Enjoy your dinner and have fun, but put the portion you don't eat in a to-go platter for a yummy lunch tomorrow. Enjoy your evening! :drinker:
  • Jenny8511
    Jenny8511 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I looooove that restaurant! I haven't been since I've been on my journey, but I might have to go this weekend!

What I would do is look up calories online before you go, and make a plan. I'm the kind of person who makes bad decisions under pressure. Having 20 people behind me in line is pressure enough for me to just pile whatever on to my plate. Since you won't be able to measure, I would try to pick lower calorie foods. If you underestimate how much broccoli you get...that's a lot less calories then if you underestimated how much high calorie sauce you get. I hope that makes sense! Also, maybe skip the rice or ask for 1/2 serving. Of course, don't drink any calories. Don't be too hard on yourself or feel guilty. It's just one meal. :) Have fun!!