early morning workout

Options
I plan to start exercising first thing in the mornings (fun, fun, right?). Should I eat breakfast before or after the workout?

Replies

• krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Always eat something before a workout. Don't wanna do that on an empty belly.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Actually new studies suggest that you lose weight better if you exercise and then eat. I do my runs in the morning before food- but sometimes I'll have a 1/2 cup of coffee.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/phys-ed-the-benefits-of-exercising-before-breakfast/
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't have time to eat before I workout. If I want to fit it in-I do it right before I take my shower to get ready for the day. Also, I can't eat when first waking up-and that is when I workout. Just my two cents.
  • PokenStick
    Options
    My advice is to try it one day before, and one day after. Do what works for you the best. You might find that you have more energy one way or the other.
  • apeman
    apeman Posts: 82
    Options
    I was having this exact conversation with a colleague yesterday. I tend to like a little coffee or water to wake me up a bit before a morning run. He likes to eat before hand, while I don't. So like everything in exercise and dieting, it's whatever works best for you. Test it out but I would say don't eat much and something simple like toast or a protein bar. Just my two cents.
  • padbh
    padbh Posts: 40
    Options
    depends on your body, I excercise at 5 in the morning during the week, i do not eat before, because if i did when i do not work out, my body would wake me up wanting food.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I don't eat until I'm done w/my running but that's more due to not needing to use the restroom during the middle of the run.
  • tjkuyper
    tjkuyper Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't know the science of eating before or after, but personally I can't work out nearly as well in the morning if I eat breakfast before the workout. If you want to eat before I would suggest oatmeal as it doesn't slosh around in your stomach.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've been working out for several years first thing in the AM - I barely roll out of bed, drink a glass of water and start my work out. I've never ate. When I do eat before I run later in the AM - I end up with digestion issues while running, belching peanut butter toast is not fun :)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    personally, i eat after exercising. :)
  • ewarm24
    Options
    i used to eat right when i woke up(5am) then work out at 6am. but using my pre-workout formula, i cant eat before my workout or i will get sick. so now i have gotten used to not eating and drinking about 10oz of water with my pre-workout and then i work out and pack on the protien after. what helped me was i would drink and 12 hour protien shake right before i went to bed so i didnt feel so hungry when i woke up. (just the protien and water, no milk) it helped
  • mriricat23
    mriricat23 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    if i eat before working out i feel sick to my stomach afterwards... even is it was as simple as going for a 30 minute walk.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Do what makes you feel better. Maybe eat a banana beforehand and then have a bigger breakfast afterward. I wouldn't eat breakfast in the morning and start my workouts, but I wasn't able to give it my all. Now I workout a few hours after breakfast and can give it my all.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I have a pre-workout mix before I workout, then I eat after i workout.
  • SkierElle
    Options
    I think it's personal preference, but I can't exercise even when I've eaten hours before! So I usually get up at 5:30 and do my insanity workout and have breakfast after. But I always have a ton of energy in the morning. If you feel really hungry, eat an apple or something light and wait like a half hour.
  • doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I don't have time before my a.m. workout to eat a full meal and then leave time for it to digest. I usually eat a 1/2 banana and that seems to give me enough fuel to get through the workout without upsetting my stomach.

If I don't workout in the morning, I do it lunch - same thing though, I usually eat something light a 1/2 hour or so before my workout.