not eating enough

2»

Replies

• Housekat61
    Housekat61 Posts: 28 Member
    I'm having the same problem! I try to eat clean and have got it nailed but am having a hard time meeting my calories..I eat a plant based diet most of the time but it creates a challenge when trying to reach the right amount of cal.s without eating too many carbs or having to add to much meat. I eat nuts , beans and fish and a little dairy And I full at the end of the day . I try to put most of my cals in the first half of the day so Im eating fewer cals at the end of the day. Any suggestions anyone?
  • 12always
    12always Posts: 13 Member
    thanks.... you've been doing awesome,, way to go !
  • My favorite kind of eating is when I have to eat to meet my calories - that means I can have something yummy! It's usually on the days I didnt meal plan very well though - and I don't like the "fly by the seat of my pants" part of it.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,582 Member
    I'm having the same problem! I try to eat clean and have got it nailed but am having a hard time meeting my calories..I eat a plant based diet most of the time but it creates a challenge when trying to reach the right amount of cal.s without eating too many carbs or having to add to much meat. I eat nuts , beans and fish and a little dairy And I full at the end of the day . I try to put most of my cals in the first half of the day so Im eating fewer cals at the end of the day. Any suggestions anyone?
    don't worry about meat and carbs? hit your protein goal first, then fats... fill the rest with carbs.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    I try to eat mostly clean too but have no trouble at all getting through my calories! You don't have to eat child portions or processed diet rubbish to lose weight. As you lose weight your calorie goal will drop too. I'd be very wary of undereating at this stage because your body will get used to surviving on less and you may struggle further down the line.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    don't worry about meat and carbs? hit your protein goal first, then fats... fill the rest with carbs.

look at this fellas ticker.
    dude knows whats up.

OP, try to eliminate your fear of ANY food. you can eat whatever foods you want, even the ones you and others may label as "unhealthy" or "junk"

the key is maintaining a healthy deficit.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member

Is there anything you specifically are trying to avoid? I noticed some eggs in your diary -- those are always good. Greek yogurt has a lot of protein per ounce. If you can handle the taste of quinoa, it's right up there with beans (and other legumes) on the protein per ounce scale. And you could always supplement with a protein powder (whey if you're OK with milk-based, or hemp or pea powder if you want to stick with plant-based). Protein powder in a smoothie (green or otherwise) with greek yogurt packs a lot of protein.
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    For me its about a lifestyle change so eating in a way that is sustainable and healthy for the rest of my life, not just in the short term to lose weight. Try and eat more calories but good quality calories, healthy fats ( olive oil, avacado, oily fish) lean protein, low fat dairy, plenty of veg and fruit. Remember to log what you drink as well. I don't know if you exercise but if or when you do a healthy diet will be especially important. My concern is that eating so few calories is not going to be sustainable for very long.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    I am 56 and know exactly what you mean. The mindset that we were raised with was so prevalent in our teen and young adult years. We were told we had to starve to lose. If you weren't hungry, you were not going to lose anything. Then we were told that fat was BAD and everything went fat free and we just got fatter as a society. So much misinformation in our generation.

I have been listening to the young people on here since May 2012. I could not believe that I could eat 1600 - 1800 calories and actually lose weight, but I have. Over 100 pounds now. It was a very hard sale, believe me!

Try this. Work for a week or so on just meeting your calories every day. Take away the low fat fat & fat free things and just eat the real stuff. Work on understanding how much food is in your calorie allowance. Once you have that under your belt - work on meeting macros. As trog said, meet protein first, then fats, then let carbs fill in the rest. It takes some practice, but you can do it. You're going to feel so good and your skin and hair are going to LOVE those good fats.

Best of luck!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Just checked out the last couple of days of your diary. How are you not hungry on so little? If the bee pollen is suppressing your appetite to such an extent that you're not eating a healthy amount it may be time to try without it unless it's something you need to be taking for some other reason?

Might be worth adding some friends of a similar weight and goal and poaching food ideas from their food diaries?
  • prabbitts
    prabbitts Posts: 16 Member
    Great comments about fat. Fat is critical for good health. I have a tablespoon of Flaxseed oil, no cholesterol. I also have a teaspoon of high quality fish oil to get the Omega 3 DHAs that some say flaxseed ELAs don't produce enough of the DHAs. All healthy oils with no cholesterol. Then I really enjoy my eggs , especially the yolks because they have amazing balance of Omega 3s and DHAs (75 mg of DHA per egg). One note, instead of flaxseed oil, I have UDO's oil which is a mixture of healthy oils with proper balance of omega 3s and 6s. I get it with the added DHA. Always, always "cold pressed" extra virgin oils. I also used to think fat was bad, but that's just not true. A little cheese is good too, hard cheese as it has some vitamin D in it. Yum. Learning to lose weight, exercise and feel great about loving and enjoying food. Meant to be enjoyed, but just track those calories. Good luck!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    If, as you say, you've had a lifelong issue with yo-yo dieting, it might be worthwhile to think about why your downward momentum isn't SUSTAINABLE. It sounds like you have had short-term success in the past with dieting, but inevitably fall back into overeating patterns and gain the weight back.

Many of us have been there too.

You might consider whether trying to lose weight more slowly but with a more enjoyable, sustainable diet will work better for you over the long term. Is it possible you crash and start overeating as a reaction to over-restraining yourself during a diet? If you planned enjoyable meals to "spend" your 1700 calorie budget on, is it possible you'd have better mental and physical endurance to stay the course?

Making sure that your daily routine -- the day in, day out GRIND of losing weight -- rotates in a variety of yummy treats that you eat in moderate amounts will keep you from feeling DEPRIVED and RESENTFUL of your diet. A glass of wine, or a couple of squares of chocolate, or peanut butter, or bacon once in a while, (or for that matter, Cheetos if that's your thing). None of these things, taken in moderation, has to add up to a lot of calories, and can really make the difference between "I can do this!" and "OH GOD WHEN DOES IT END?!"

But also, like everyone has said, the physical impact of just eating a little bit more fat, and a lot more protein, can't really be overstated. Even if you think you feel okay now, you will feel so much better. Also, don't forget fiber. In addition to the small matter of being able to poop at will, it slows down the digestion of foods and can help you feel more satisfied and less hungry.
  • 12always
    12always Posts: 13 Member
    thank you.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    i used to be scared of eating 'fat' - was a victim of the low-fat 90's....

but honestly I feel SO MUCH BETTER now that I eat more protein and fat and less carbs. I have more energy and just feel more alive. I set myself a goal of 30/30/40 for protein/fat/carbs, so its not a drastic change, but I have to tell you that I've taken that step off the cliff of 'low fat' and for me its been much better over here. :)
  • SarahAnna87
    SarahAnna87 Posts: 65 Member
    I had the same issue when I first started and then I read this. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing It is really long, but worth it. I know that it described me perfectly. Since then my loss has been consistent. It isn't fast, but that isn't healthy. I struggle most days to hit my target, but I make it happen.

For those wondering how you can't be hungry on so little, just remember many of us have been eating a very small amount for a very long time and it is hard to judge hunger cues accurately anymore.

Good luck.