What brand of HRM do you recommend?

Options
angf0679
angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
I've been reading up on HRMs and what people say on here. Most people seem to say the Polar is the best brand to go with. However, in my research, it also seems to be the most expensive. I know some people said that buying them on line has allowed them to find it cheaper; however, that doens't always work for me as I do not have a credit card. Unless the site has pay pal (it's linked to my bank account), I can't buy things on line. I've found the Sportline brand online that is sold at Walmart and they seem cheaper and in stock at stores. Has anyone tried this brand? Did you find it gave good results?

It will be a couple more weeks before I actually have the funds to get one, so I possibly could track down a store that sells the Polar ones (I think I found a couple in my area), but since I have a tight budget, I am trying to make my funds stretch as much as I can and save where I can. (It also gives me more time research them.)

I don't need a really elaborate one. I just need one for when I am walking (I sometimes do Leslie Sansone indoor walk so my Run Keeper app on my phone doesn't always work for me - and I also want to know how accurate that is for calories burnt) and when I am going my JM DVDs.

Replies

• Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar H7 and the free Polar Beat app (available on Android and iOS) it works really well for me in fact I loved it so much I bought one for my wife also, I have just checked there and Amazon.Com are selling this model for $54 which is a lot cheaper than what I paid for mine in the UK.
  • ekemsley1
    ekemsley1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I really like my timex ironman road trainer. They aren't too expensive on Amazon (not sure if that meets your financial needs but...) compared to what I've found actually inside stores, and they have a womens line, so if you have a tiny wrist like me, you can get a size that actually fits. Just make sure whatever you get, that it comes with the chest strap or else it isn't as accurate. I've heard good things about Polar also, but for the price I feel like the timex is just as good, and has the same functions and appeal. Of course I've never had a polar so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I second the Polar... Amazon.com sells them and they accept PayPal. I got mine on Amazon and actually saved a few dollars compared to other sites that sell them. I have the older version (not sure what the technical name is, it's the version below the newest one) and it works perfect- I use it for lifting and Insanity.

Edit to add:
    Looked it up- I have the Polar FT4. Here's a link to the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-FT4-FT4M-Silver-Black/dp/B007LO4F5Y/ref=sr_1_10?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1396011881&sr=1-10&keywords=polar+ft4

And it's not really a "men's" model. I have super small wrists and it still fits just fine.

ANOTHER EDIT! I found it on hhgregg.com (http://www.hhgregg.com/polar-ft4-silver-black-heart-rate-monitor-watch/item/90039180) for $54.95 with free shipping. And they take PayPal! That's the best deal you'll get on the web more than likely :smile:
  • musiclady1814
    musiclady1814 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is the Polar beat app? I have an older model Polar with a chest strap. It has worked well for me but I don't know about the app.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    This is the app that they designed to work with the H7, has loads of built in exercises and seems to be pretty accurate with it's calorie counting once you have entered in your weight, height etc... I use it for counting all my workout calories and then feed them in to MFP. You can also see your workouts on the Polar Flow website which keeps a record of everything I do.
  • angf0679
    Options
    I will have to try those ones on Amazon. My recent experience with Amazon was that it wouldn't take Paypal. That just might be the seller though.

I should also mention I am in Canada, so there are some sites that don't ship up here.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I will have to try those ones on Amazon. My recent experience with Amazon was that it wouldn't take Paypal. That just might be the seller though.

I should also mention I am in Canada, so there are some sites that don't ship up here.

Amazon doesn't take PayPal but you can pay directly with your bank account.
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar and LOVE it!
  • angf0679
    Options

Tried that recently and it wouldn't recognize my card. My debit card doesn't have the Visa symbol on (though it recognized it because the the first three numbers as a visa) which might be why.
  • Slulik
    Slulik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard or used a Nordictrack 122 HRM?

Has a good sale right now:
    http://www.sears.ca/product/nordictrack-heart-rate-monitor/606-000288894-NTHRAX4?ptag=2
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and LOVE it! Make sure what ever HRM you get has a chest strap. I bought one without one for $20 a TJ Maxx and it did ok for the time being but I wanted a more accurate read of HR and cals burned, fitness burn, fat burn and stuff like that. The chest strap doesn't bother me at all. The Polar FT7 can be worn in the pool too which I love cause I do alot of water workout classes at my gym besides land classes and workouts.
    Good luck!
  • kevomanc
    kevomanc Posts: 2
    Options
    First off I used to work for Polar so I probably have some bias. Honestly they make fantastic HRM's and they invest a lot in Engineering and R&D to make the best possible. I've been to their R&D Dept and they have engineers there that are possibly too smart to be rocket scientists.

If you want to track your calorie burn as closely as possible, I truly believe theirs is the best. That being said there are many other HRMs out there that are "good enough". The Sportline ones are made by a co. that makes HRMs for many other fitness companies. They're decent, but they don't put the effort or tech in that Polar does. Garmin is probably the next best, but their forte is really the GPS part where they have the edge over Polar.

If you're not into a lot of stats and just want basic tracking I'm sure you would do well with a Sportline or other. If you're more into running or biking then the Garmin's GPS tracking features might be better. If you want the best heart rate monitoring and calorie tracking then I'd go with Polar.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I used a sportline brand HRM and loved it. My son ended up losing it for me...so now I have a garmin vivofit.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin FR70. I can't really compare it with anything else, but I like it well enough. I like the ANT+ interface and that it syncs up with my BMF armband. The watch is uncomfortable, but I don't think any other brand would be better. Though it would be nice if I could clip it to my sleeve or something instead. The HRM strap itself is super comfortable. I don't even notice it.
  • antt109
    antt109 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Polar user for over 10 years ...
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    LOVE my Polar FT4
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT4 about a month ago and love it. It's a pink watch and came w/the chest strap and the HRM snaps onto the chest strap. I bought it on Amazon for $69. It's perfect for what I want it for, which is knowing what my correct calorie burn is and being able to keep track of my heart rate (keep it in "my zone").
  • shmulyeng
    Options

Tried that recently and it wouldn't recognize my card. My debit card doesn't have the Visa symbol on (though it recognized it because the the first three numbers as a visa) which might be why.

Don't use your debit card. You can actually put in your bank's routing number and account number. I've used it.
  • angf0679
    Options

Don't use your debit card. You can actually put in your bank's routing number and account number. I've used it.

I can just put that in where it says for credit card info?
  • shmulyeng
    Options

I can just put that in where it says for credit card info?

When you choose the payment method, one of the types of payment is checking account.