Do you eat before working out ?

Options
I have been trying to have a protein bar (usually 200 calories) about an hour before I go to the gym. I guess my thought process is that it will give me more energy for my workout. Is this a good idea ( and is my timing right), or is this causing my body to burn off the food i ate vs. the fat I want gone?

Replies

• hannaawh
    hannaawh Posts: 51
    Options
    You can eat before or after your workout, it doesn't matter. You do not HAVE to fuel your body before a workout if you're feeling just fine. As long as you're not feeling deprived and you're within your calorie goal, you're good. :)
    Me for example, I can't eat before I workout, not even a snack, it makes me feel sick, so I always eat afterwards and try not to eat 3 hours before a workout. Works better for me.
    Maybe try to go to the gym without this snack and see how you feel.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I work out five days per week, but only one takes place at the gym right now thanks to my work schedule. On my morning workout days, Mondays and Wednesdays, I work out first thing in the morning and have a protein shake about an hour later once I've gotten ready for work, but no food beforehand. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays I work out at night and eat dinner about 1-2 hours beforehand in addition to my post-workout protein shake. I haven't noticed a difference either way.
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evenings and I find that I don't have an appetite after working out, ever. So I normally eat a small dinner anywhere from 1-2 hours prior and that's it.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I'm doing, if I'm doing a PT session I would have maybe a handful of nuts or a glass of whole milk about 45min before for the energy, if I'm going out running in the morning then I normally have porridge about 30min before and then take bananas with me if I'm doing my long run so I can fuel throughout the run (13miles upwards before I do this).

It depends on you, some people can exercise from a fast, some need fuel, try both and see what works for you.
  • ThePinkPanda
    ThePinkPanda Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    it depends on the workout for me. i don't eat before doing cardio in the morning to avoid feeling sick while working out. however, on my lifting days, i eat a full meal about an hour and a half- 2 hours before hand. otherwise i get ravenously hungry and have trouble completing my sets.

I'd say it really depends on how you feel during your workouts. if you find yourself lagging and unable to push through, try eating beforehand. otherwise i wouldn't worry about it too much. i don't know if it affects how or what you burn but if it's a 200 calorie protein bar, i wouldn't think it'd affect you too much.
  • aimladuke
    aimladuke Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    But does it effect the efficiency of a workout, or does it not matter because ultimately i'm still at a deficit?
  • robinerikson
    Options
    In my own personal experience, I always eat before I workout because I feel dizzy if I don't. I eat 30-60 minutes before working out.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing something really intense like a long run or HIIT I can't eat 2 hours before of else I get tummy issues. If I'm strength training or doing yoga I can eat a small something before hand. You don't NEED to eat before a work out necessarily. I don't notice an increase in energy when I do.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before my workout in the morning cause it drains me, I do however eat dinner, wait about an hour and go to the gym, that is only three nights a week. So far it works for me.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This is one of those things that really is a matter of personal preference. It can take some experimentation to figure out what works for you. For me, I need some carbs and some protein before I lift in order to get the best workout. But with running I need just carbs. I can't workout fasted; I end up light headed.

I know a ton of people who can only workout fasted and who get nauseous if they try to eat first.

Try it a couple of different ways and see what allows you to workout with the most intensity.
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I typically eat afterwards because working out makes me burp a lot

lol :P
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    fasted training can be amazing. But you may want to consider consuming 10g of BCAAs prior to working out fasted.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I tend to have low sugar issues, so I'll eat a light snack and wait maybe 15-20 minutes then work out. Then I'll eat my meal after. But if you have no issues with blood sugar, then it probably doesn't matter. Do what feels right with your own body.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I keep it really light like a clif bar or powerbar.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You can eat before or after your workout, it doesn't matter. You do not HAVE to fuel your body before a workout if you're feeling just fine. As long as you're not feeling deprived and you're within your calorie goal, you're good. :)
    Me for example, I can't eat before I workout, not even a snack, it makes me feel sick, so I always eat afterwards and try not to eat 3 hours before a workout. Works better for me.
    Maybe try to go to the gym without this snack and see how you feel.
    I believe pre-workout nutrition is vital. The amount of time before and the amount of food is the most important factor. Study after study has shown performance in anything is better when "fed". When I mean performance, I am of course talking about gym performance.
  • antt109
    antt109 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Before and after Weight/Circuit Training
  • capi99
    capi99 Posts: 21
    Options
    I can't eat before I workout/run because I feel it gives me cramps. I definitely have some protein afterwards, whether its a bar or a shake.. my trainers in the past said its to feed the muscles or fuel the metabolism after the workout. Can't really remember, just know that's what I was taught :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i dont eat before a run

i do eat a little before i lift.

i do feast after a workout.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I eat before and after...I work out at night, so I'll have supper first. When I'm done busting my *kitten* at the gym, I'll come home and have eggs and toast or a smoothie.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    But does it effect the efficiency of a workout, or does it not matter because ultimately i'm still at a deficit?

a deficit is a deficit....If you maintain on 2,500 calories (example) but only consume 2,000 you will lose weight regardless of whether you eat before or after a workout, late at night, 3 times per day, 20 times per day, etc.

I always eat before and after my workouts...you have to think about your fitness beyond burning calories...you have to actually fuel your fitness to optimize your fitness.