IS fats counted in with calories?

keke0904
keke0904 Posts: 28 Member
is the fats in food counted in with calories? i was just wondering because i ate kinda fatty yesterday but stayed within my calorie limit but still gained .6 lbs? yesterday i had chocolate chip pancakes lunch i had SOS and for dinner i had a Burrito from Taco Bell and Mountain Dew

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Are you weighing your food with a food scale? Are you logging everything? Do you have your calories at a reasonable deficit?
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    All macros (fat, protein, carbs) are made up of calories. Some have more calories per gram, and some have less per gram, but they all have calories. That being said, your overall calorie intake is most important for weight loss. Many people find that they have more success eating at certain macro ratios because they feel fuller, need more protein for strength training, lose weight fine eating lots of carbs, and many other reasons. For instance, I eat 15% carbs, 35% protein, 50% fat because if I eat a lot of carbs I am hungry all day long. But all these adjustments don't change the overall calories consumed. If you were under your calories for the day, it isn't a bad thing to have eaten a lot of calories from fat. That being said, your small weight gain (which is probably be water weight) is a normal daily fluctuation most likely came from high sodium intake, or improperly logging/counting.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    is the fats in food counted in with calories? i was just wondering because i ate kinda fatty yesterday but stayed within my calorie limit but still gained .6 lbs? yesterday i had chocolate chip pancakes lunch i had SOS and for dinner i had a Burrito from Taco Bell and Mountain Dew

Protein calories are counted, fat calories are counted, carbohydrate calories are counted. These 3 things make up your "macros." What you macro settings are, depend upon your goals. Some people eat high fat, others eat high protein...it's up to you.

As you post food into your diary you will see the number of protein, fat, and carb calories. If you are not logging food....how do you know that you were within your calories.

If you truly stayed within your calorie limit.....you did NOT gain weight. You may be retaining water from the amount of sodium though. Highly processed food generally has lots of sodium.
  • keke0904
    keke0904 Posts: 28 Member
    i always chart what i eat and drink, i have lost 14lbs since January 1st. The whole time of me losing weight i would see fluctuations, but i suppose i should probably watch more of carbs, protein and fats i consume. I didnt know if i had to watch the calories and fats seperately, thanks for clarrifying for me but i think over all i am losing a good amount of weight since January, wouldnt u think?
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    No, fats aren't counted with calories. What else gets you fat? Duh.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    if you eat it- it counts.