Frustration about number on scale- advice appreciated!

Options
2»

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You are doing great, if you need a measure to make you feel like you are accomplishing something try measuring and forget the scale. Also you must be feeling the benefits of the added exercise? Feeling good is as good a measure as anything :drinker:
  • AshleyArleneNP
    AshleyArleneNP Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am stuck too. My trainer is having me try this zig zap calorie thing for the next two weeks. She has had luck from it. You can find your recommended numbers at freedieting.com.
    I will let you know if it works.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    went on IIFYM.com and did the calculation. If I workout 5 days a week it says I should be at 1774... that just seems CRAZY high to me..

Does that seem high to anyone else?

For your height and weight, that seems appropriate, but as a previous poster said, since you're new to lifting, you might not want to change anything yet. Changing too many variables all at once won't give you insight as to what the issue is. I'd give it another 2 weeks, and if nothing changes, start messing around with your calories. However, there's a decent change you'll see a loss in the near future as your body adapts. Then, if you're losing too fast, raise your calorie intake.

Also, just want to say that your open-mindedness and politeness about accepting advice are rather refreshing for these boards :flowerforyou:
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscle weighs a pound. A pound of fat weighs a pound. It's just shaped differently. Keep up the good work. Don't give up.

Thank you. I won't!

If you are CERTAIN you are logging correctly, than the comment above is almost certainly the case.

Newbies to strength training in the first 4-6 weeks actually gain significant muscle mass, even on a calorie deficit. Actually, according to multiple double blind studies, newbies to strength training with fat to lose were the ONLY test group to significantly build muscle on a deficit.

So being as how you were losing consistently, then started strength training, I would say you are fine.

"Starvation mode" in the way people talk about it is a myth. To enter starvation mode, you literally have to be wasting away.

With that being said undereating IS a real thing and can slow your metabolism, but not to a huge extent. Google Lepitin and weight loss, and you might see some interesting things. The biggest way I see people fail this one is by not eating any exercise calories back. If you calculate your BMR factored with lifestyle to be 1800cal/day, and cut it to 1400cal/day, then you need to be eating your exercise calories.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    went on IIFYM.com and did the calculation. If I workout 5 days a week it says I should be at 1774... that just seems CRAZY high to me..

I'm 5'5 and am currently at 1945. The lowest I eat is usually around 1600, maybe 1500 if I am not feeling well.

But as everyone else has said, give the new routine a bit of time, at least 4 weeks. If no changes and you don't want to jump to 1774 at once increase by 100 per week.
  • KHal11715
    KHal11715 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I'm 5'5 and am currently at 1945. The lowest I eat is usually around 1600, maybe 1500 if I am not feeling well.

But as everyone else has said, give the new routine a bit of time, at least 4 weeks. If no changes and you don't want to jump to 1774 at once increase by 100 per week.

That's a great idea, I will try increasing to 1550 next week and see if there are any changes.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    p.s. OP - I think its awesome that you are so receptive to all the good advice offered, this is not always the case, so basically I think you're awesome -:drinker: good luck on your journey! Sounds like you have good goals and are doing good work to get there so you are already halfway there!
  • KHal11715
    KHal11715 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    p.s. OP - I think its awesome that you are so receptive to all the good advice offered, this is not always the case, so basically I think you're awesome -:drinker: good luck on your journey! Sounds like you have good goals and are doing good work to get there so you are already halfway there!

Thank you! I'm glad that people are willing to give advice! I know a decent amount about health and fitness, but there is always room to learn more! Everyone is different, that's why I think its important to take in everyones advice and turn it into a way that it can benefit me personally :happy: