Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Faster or Longer?

duckiec
duckiec Posts: 241 Member
RUNNING. What were you thinking of!?

Finished my 1/2 marathon a couple weeks ago, and felt great. Gotta be training for something. What next? Work on speed for another half (or lower distances) or work on mileage and train for a full marathon? Pros/Cons/thoughts/tips welcome, thanks!

Replies

• lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    It depends on how much time you have available for running. I have a limited amount of time so I try to increase my pace but stay at the same distance. If I had the time, I'd rather go for longer distances at a slower pace.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Currently training for a marathon and it's taken over my life!!!

I have 2 jobs so that doesn't help with the time I've got available for my long runs, my plan (and most plans out there) will probably take you up to 20miles as your longest run about 3 weeks before your marathon date.

Think the feeling of achievement I'll feel after the marathon will be great.

on the down side the increased mileage means I need to but new trainers more often and just by it's repetetive nature could be opening myself to an injury (that or tripping over the dog).

I haven't done a half marathon, I've jumped from a 10k last year to a marathon this year (no one has ever said I was normal) but other than the long hours training I have looked at and considered an ultra for next year (69miles The Wall challenge looks really good).
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    RUNNING. What were you thinking of!?

Yeah, my exact thought when seeing the thread title is "that's what she said."

And I agree with lockedej7 - how much time do you have? If you have the time and inclination to go for a marathon, do it. If not, keep training for half marathons but add in more speedwork and time on feet. You'll get faster.

I simply don't have the time to devote to a marathon. Well, I could probably find the time, but I'm not willing to make it. I'll keep training for half marathons until I decide to make the time. My area also has some nice mid-distance races too. You could also consider train running - different experience, new challenges, beautiful courses :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I started at a set distance and worked on my time but it got boring. Now I am increasing distance to train for my first 1/2. After that I will just be trying to get a new personal best. I am really in it for the fitness and the high right now.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    The old saying is "miles build champions". Working on your training volume should be the top priority of those who want to get better. Elite runners do lots of miles (100+ miles/week) even if their event is the 800m. I know in my own running things get a lot better when I get to the point that I'm doing at least an hour a day. You've got to fit this into your own schedule, of course, but maximizing your time/distance within your schedule is #1.