Shakeology

Options
Has anyone used this shake and recieved good results? Did you use it with a certain type of exercise or no exercise at all? Ive heard good things about this product but the price is what has me stuck.

Replies

• kari31p
    kari31p Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I LOVE what it does for me. High Energy, keeps me full for a long time, curbs my cravings for sweets, etc. It's only about $4 a serving if you break it down which is less than a lot of meals!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    plenty of people have tried them, but why?

Is there something against just eating at a moderate deficit... instead of replacing food with shakes?

...and from another standpoint, let's say you start using the shakes... and you lose weight by staying on them... then they stop producing them. Since products like that come and go, what will you do then that you couldn't do right now?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I just had a grapefruit with chia and a bowl of oatmeal for way under $4 a serving: High energy, keeps me full for a long time, curbs my cravings for sweets, etc.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used this shake and recieved good results? Did you use it with a certain type of exercise or no exercise at all? Ive heard good things about this product but the price is what has me stuck.

Were the good things you heard from people who had zero financial interest in promoting the crappy product?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    99% of the "good things" you'll hear about Shakeology will come from Beach Body coaches.....who are trying to sell the stuff to you.
  • cassanova792
    Options
    I agree. Real food > shakes. Shakes are good if you're on the go or you need to fill your macros. There is no magic formula in Shakeology that allows you to lose weight faster than a similar caloric deficit diet consisting of real food.
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It *might* (MIGHT) be a helpful meal replacement for weight loss, but I think it's overpriced and don't like that it's pushed by sale-sy coaches.

But shakes help me reach my daily macros. So I bought a tub of vanilla protein powder (I happen to like the flavor of Trutein and how nicely it mixes, but any will do). $50, will last me at least 2 months. And then I was all "but they say shakeology has soooo many antioxidents and such". So I bought a tub of Amazing Grass (I happen to like the orange dreamsicle flavor and think it goes well with vanilla protein powder) for $20 on Amazon. So I blend a scoop of each with some almond milk and a few ice cubes.

Way cheaper, higher protein, and (I think) better flavor. The aftertaste of shakeology is somehow bitter to me, unless I throw a ton of fruits in the blender with it. And I don't have anyone hounding me to sign up for automatic shipping or try another flavor.
  • Smix09
    Smix09 Posts: 12
    Options
    You guys are awesome. Thank you for the reality check. Officially a no go on shakeology! The main thing I really liked about what I heard from friends who have tried was that their energy was up and with two little ones energy is always a plus!
  • trmrgb
    trmrgb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Personally I really dislike the taste of Shakeology! It tastes chalky to me. Just my personal experience. Plus it is way more money and not even the best one out there. I do use a protein powder as I like to have shakes when I am short on time or on the go but like others have stated, this is not sustainable. You can't replace real food with shakes and expect to stay at it long term! And Shakeology claims you have to drink thier shakes to get the nutrition you need each day. That is false. If you are truley eating a healthy diet you should be getting all the nutrients you need. So depending on WHY you want to start using a protein powder, no matter what brand, that would be your answer. Good luck in your journey!
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Save yourself a lot of $ and buy some SunWarrior vegan protein powder @ Amazon or Hy-Vee. I love the chocolate vegan SunWarrior blend.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    It's only about $4 a serving if you break it down which is less than a lot of meals!

XAxaV.gif
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Great job guys, you saved one!!! LOL, seriously though!!! Quite a few people start Shakeology or similar weight loss/shake system (I did one too, sick of mentioning the name) and immediately tell everyone how great they feel... that's usually because they had a ****ty diet before hand and they are adding the shakes along with getting the micronutrients from real foods that they weren't eating before (veggies, fruit, etc.). Plus, the placebo effect is strong when you are spending that much money on a product and for me, it was overwhelming when all of my new "MLM friends" wanted to know every detail of my life and how I feelt, and this pressured me into stretching the truth or lying to prove the efficacy of the products, to keep friends and to sell product. I prefer to eat my food and get much more satiated from doing so, and when I need extra protein I use a good quality whey protein like Optimum Nutrition. Honestly OP, you are much better off eating quality foods, weighing them, and tracking your macros to make adjustments. Good luck to you! :) Also, lol @ $4 a meal being cheap... I usually have a whole cup of cottage cheese for breakfast (2 servings at about 84 cents), a 23 cent apple, a half cup of blueberries at around 65 cents and a cup of coffee which I'm sure is less than 20 cents a serving. Grand total, less than $2 and full of micronutrients, carbs, slow-digesting protein, a little bit of fat and some good fiber :) took less time to weight it and prepare than mixing a shake, too!
  • kevomanc
    kevomanc Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been using Shakelogy, but only because I was able to get a discounted price with P90X3. It does seem to be good stuff and the Chocolate tastes awesome. It's convenient and easy which can be what many of us need. I don't know that I'll keep buying as it is more expensive than the shakes I was making myself and I like knowing exactly what I'm putting in. I wouldn't totally discount it just because it is the biggest MLM part of Beachbody, but you certainly can make as good as if not better shakes on your own for less $. Of course you'll also put in more effort to do it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome. Thank you for the reality check. Officially a no go on shakeology! The main thing I really liked about what I heard from friends who have tried was that their energy was up and with two little ones energy is always a plus!

I have a 2-year old and a 4-year old. 20 ounces of coffee is what I use.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Full of sugar.. and not the good kind. No thanks
  • mrsdwp
    mrsdwp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Absurdley expensive, not very impressive taste, and customer service was a pain to deal with when trying to cancel. I sometimes make shakes with Amazing Grass http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Grass-Chocolate-17-1-Ounce-Container/dp/B0038B1EOY/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1396027416&sr=1-1&keywords=amazing+meal which is a 5th of the price of Shakeology and it gave me more energy than Shakeology. But like everyone else, I prefer real food.
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Thanks for saving me some money! I was actually looking into trying them myself for all the great benefits they claimed. After reading these posts, if I want a shake I'll just make my own. Guess it's too good to be true. I should have known better. :smile: