P90X and Early Pregnancy?

Options
Okay, so I don't know for sure, but my husband and i did the deed around the time my body was releasing the egg about a week ago (according to signs from my body) and my nipples are really sore for the past few days... so idk if I'm pg or not...

I was planning to start P90X sometime in the next week or two, but was wondering what you guys would recommend?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    hahaha i had just started p90x and then found out i was pregnant! I immediately stopped, the workouts are pretty intense! I cant imagine it would be good for your baby. You can always do it after you have the baby :)

Talk to your doctor and see if he or she recommends you wait or gives you the okay.
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    P90 is pretty intense so I would check with your Doc before you start since you may be prego. ;)
  • debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    hahaha i had just started p90x and then found out i was pregnant! I immediately stopped, the workouts are pretty intense! I cant imagine it would be good for your baby. You can always do it after you have the baby :)

Talk to your doctor and see if he or she recommends you wait or gives you the okay.
    Well, I won't know for a few weeks, and would stop when I find out if my doctor told me to, but I just don't wanna lose out on this time if I'm NOT pregnant. If that makes sense...
  • cflorkie
    cflorkie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    well, maybe do some lighter exercise like walking? early pregnancy is such a precarious time. Having suffered a loss myself, I know thinking back on how many "risks" I took was the worst part. Of couse these things just happen sometimes but I wouldnt want to be in the position of "it could have been something I did" again. It should only be a week before you can test :)
  • Schuky01
    Schuky01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat. I was about 5 weeks into P90X program when I found out I was pregnant. I was so tired and kept blaming it on the workouts (which I am sure was part of the reason I was so tired). Once i knew that pregnancy was the other culprit for being tired I stopped doing P90X and instead continued to workout but with less high intensity programs.
  • debbyrae3
    Options
    well, maybe do some lighter exercise like walking? early pregnancy is such a precarious time. Having suffered a loss myself, I know thinking back on how many "risks" I took was the worst part. Of couse these things just happen sometimes but I wouldnt want to be in the position of "it could have been something I did" again. It should only be a week before you can test :)
    Thanks for your input! I have already been doing at least an hour on the Wii everyday (a mix of the games: bowling, baseball, boxing, and many others) and sometimes adding in a workout video from Netflix.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Most doctors say maintain current work outs but don't start a new one or increase intensity if you suspect pregnancy. I would consider something less intense for now so that you can feel confident that your are taking care of your baby and not putting it at risk.
  • debbyrae3
    Options
    I was in the same boat. I was about 5 weeks into P90X program when I found out I was pregnant. I was so tired and kept blaming it on the workouts (which I am sure was part of the reason I was so tired). Once i knew that pregnancy was the other culprit for being tired I stopped doing P90X and instead continued to workout but with less high intensity programs.
    Did it hurt your baby at all to do it, since you stopped when finding out?
  • debbyrae3
    Options
    Most doctors say maintain current work outs but don't start a new one or increase intensity if you suspect pregnancy. I would consider something less intense for now so that you can feel confident that your are taking care of your baby and not putting it at risk.
    That's logical
  • Schuky01
    Options
    No, it didn't hurt the baby at all. It just got to the point where I was so tired that I could hardly make it through the workouts and I would get frusterated. Instead I started to do more walking and eliptical training. I also did Hip Hop Abs which was still a great workout and fun!
  • debbyrae3
    Options
    No, it didn't hurt the baby at all. It just got to the point where I was so tired that I could hardly make it through the workouts and I would get frusterated. Instead I started to do more walking and eliptical training. I also did Hip Hop Abs which was still a great workout and fun!
    Aren't you not supposed to do ab workouts in pregnancy? (Not meaning to judge or anything, just asking a question)
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    We are TTC and trying to lose weight at the same time. In the first 2 weeks of my cycle I work out as hard as I like for as long as I like. After I ovulate, I work out less intensely, but still make sure to hit the gym. We have been TTC for over 18 months now, so I have had to learn to live my life while balancing risks to an unborn baby. To be honest, its only in the last few months that I have even slowed down after ovulation, and that is just because I am medicated so I want to be really careful.

If you guys are TTC, good luck!

To the person that had the miscarriage - I am so sorry for your loss. I was diagnosed with a miscarriage after walking in 30 C heat for an hour and had a very hard time forgiving myself for it. Know that there was very little chance that anything you did caused your loss, I have heard stats that as many as 50% of pregnancies end in loss, and nothing the mother did could have prevented it.
  • Schuky01
    Options
    Hip Hop Abs is a standing ab routine and cardio. However, I did ab workouts throughout my pregnancy. Once I got to bigger (around 5 months) I stopped doing them on the floor and I used one of those big workout balls.

It is beneficial to do abs when pregnant. It will help keep the rectus abdominis muscles strong and keep them from separating as your uterus grows (diastasis recti). It also reduces back pain by improving alignment of the spine, helps make labor and and delivery easier.
  • justinswife
    justinswife Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Like the others, I would continue with your current exercise but don't start a new one right away. I, too, lost a pregnancy early on and couldn't forgive myself because I was doing some pretty intense working out. The doctor told me nothing I did caused it. In fact, many women have no idea they are pregnant until a good bit into it and continued with their regular routines because they had no idea. I say listen to your body-if your exhausted or its too hard-take a long walk. Walking is so good for you! Much baby dust and good luck to you and your hubby! Hopefully you can announce a little one in a couple weeks!!:)
  • cflorkie
    cflorkie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    thanks Kennedar, we have since gone on to have another son, current age 7 months. Losing our baby was a very difficult time for me, and something I still don't forgive myself for, even though I know it wasn't necessarily anything I did. I'm sorry your TTC journey has taken so long, lots of baby dust for you! (seriously, take it please, I'm DONE! lol)

OP - only you can weigh the risks and know what you are comfortable with. Before our loss, I wouldn't have thought twice about starting an exercise program while pregnant. After, well, I was scared to go out when it was slippery...
  • debbyrae3
    Options
    We are TTC and trying to lose weight at the same time. In the first 2 weeks of my cycle I work out as hard as I like for as long as I like. After I ovulate, I work out less intensely, but still make sure to hit the gym. We have been TTC for over 18 months now, so I have had to learn to live my life while balancing risks to an unborn baby. To be honest, its only in the last few months that I have even slowed down after ovulation, and that is just because I am medicated so I want to be really careful.

If you guys are TTC, good luck!

To the person that had the miscarriage - I am so sorry for your loss. I was diagnosed with a miscarriage after walking in 30 C heat for an hour and had a very hard time forgiving myself for it. Know that there was very little chance that anything you did caused your loss, I have heard stats that as many as 50% of pregnancies end in loss, and nothing the mother did could have prevented it.
    Wow, I wish you the best of luck TTC. I couldn't imagine.

We're not TTC (as in tracking temps and all that stuff. I just track my cycles just so I have a general idea and I am aware of what my body does, just not over-analyzing anything, not saying you are if you do those things.)
  • debbyrae3
    Options
    Hip Hop Abs is a standing ab routine and cardio. However, I did ab workouts throughout my pregnancy. Once I got to bigger (around 5 months) I stopped doing them on the floor and I used one of those big workout balls.

It is beneficial to do abs when pregnant. It will help keep the rectus abdominis muscles strong and keep them from separating as your uterus grows (diastasis recti). It also reduces back pain by improving alignment of the spine, helps make labor and and delivery easier.
    Really? I've always heard you're not supposed to... interesting.
  • debbyrae3
    Options
    Like the others, I would continue with your current exercise but don't start a new one right away. I, too, lost a pregnancy early on and couldn't forgive myself because I was doing some pretty intense working out. The doctor told me nothing I did caused it. In fact, many women have no idea they are pregnant until a good bit into it and continued with their regular routines because they had no idea. I say listen to your body-if your exhausted or its too hard-take a long walk. Walking is so good for you! Much baby dust and good luck to you and your hubby! Hopefully you can announce a little one in a couple weeks!!:)
    Thanks so much! I may wait it out a week or two and see if my period comes and if not, I'll test.
  • debbyrae3
    Options
    thanks Kennedar, we have since gone on to have another son, current age 7 months. Losing our baby was a very difficult time for me, and something I still don't forgive myself for, even though I know it wasn't necessarily anything I did. I'm sorry your TTC journey has taken so long, lots of baby dust for you! (seriously, take it please, I'm DONE! lol)

OP - only you can weigh the risks and know what you are comfortable with. Before our loss, I wouldn't have thought twice about starting an exercise program while pregnant. After, well, I was scared to go out when it was slippery...
    Thanks for your input. It really does help. I'm glad you went to one to have a child.
  • otgsmom
    otgsmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can do P90-X only if you were already doing the program before you got pregnant. You should not start a program that intense after you get pregnant. If you are pregnant just hold off until after the baby is born and you have been cleared by your OB.