What's the best workout schedule to gain muscle?

Options
Right now I'm doing Ripped in 30 Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri. I do cardio on Wed and a boot camp class on Sat and rest Sun. I want to finish Ripped in 30 but when I'm done with that I want to start building more muscle and continue losing fat. I've already done 30 Day Shred and I just finished week 2 of Ripped in 30. I'm already noticing big changes in my arms and shoulders. So I feel like the circuit type training works well.
I have to work out at home and I have the dumb bell sizes that I need. What is a good schedule? Should I have alternating days to work specific body parts or is it ok to keep doing a short full body workout 5 days a week? Should I add anymore cardio? I usually do 30-40 minutes of treadmill work on cardio days.
Just looking for suggestions and examples of your schedules.
THANKS

Replies

• cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    to gain muscle you will need to eat at a calorie surplus and lift heavy weight. it will be difficult to add muscle and lose fat at the same time. it sounds like the circuit style training you are using is getting you results. maybe you stick with it but start incorporating heavier dumbbell exercises to the circuit you are already on. or you could split the body into 2 upper/2 lower workouts/week with heavy dumbbell exercises. see new rules of lifting or strong lifts or any of the other weightlifting programs recommended on the forum. you will just have to switch the barbell moves for dumbbells, which is easy enough in most cases.

biggest thing, start lifting with heavy weight, i.e. a struggle to get 8 reps, as 8 becomes achievable, add more weight. good luck...
  • traceleann
    traceleann Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yeah I phrased that wrong. I know I can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. I guess I just mean what can I do to make my muscles tone up faster where I can see more definition? I'll try increasing weights.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    The best schedule is the one you can commit to.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Yeah I phrased that wrong. I know I can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. I guess I just mean what can I do to make my muscles tone up faster where I can see more definition? I'll try increasing weights.

lift heavy- keep eating at a deficit- you'll get stronger- as you drop body fat you'll see definition.

to build appreciable SIZE- you need to put on fat and muscle- which means eating at a calorie surplus.