My plea for help!

Options
Hi everyone!
So this will be yet again another attempt at losing weight :( today I went clothes shopping for summer and it ended up in tears - to cut a long story short Ive gained 2 stone since this time last year and I need any advice/help that I can get - Ive done all the splurges in the gym and yo-yo dieting and I've stuck to nothing (partly because I'm finishing my A-levels right now but I know that is not an excuse!) Would anybody be willing to help or just go along with me on this? I'm desperate, im looking to drop at least a stone...

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...and here's another approach.

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.
  • ki4idb
    ki4idb Posts: 114
    Options
    Good luck!
  • flyygirl802
    flyygirl802 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")

pretty much that.

4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.

That was one of the best and most helpful posts I have read, Thank You!
    PS - I am totally bummed you aren't accepting any new friends. :-(
  • rosiefowler11
    Options
    Thank you for the information and encouragements! There's a lot there that I was unaware of!
  • agronx
    agronx Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

^This is excellent information!
  • rocketblaster
    rocketblaster Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The above answer was very accurate, thorough and well said. I'm about three months into this and have been trying to do all of those suggestions, I am not 100% there but close and I have to say that advice is golden. I hope you give it all a try.
  • Minouche1922
    Minouche1922 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Rosie

I feel for you. There are amazing clothes in England - just think how amazing you can look.

M.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

Awesome advice!!!
  • rosiefowler11
    Options
    Thank you for this everyone! I truly appreciate this!
  • catsandtats
    catsandtats Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The advice already offered was really excellent!

In addition to everything else, I would extra-strongly second tip #8, not to go balls out. The real key in my experience is to find those healthy habits that you enjoy and, SLOWLY over time, really dig in to those. That helps to guarantee adherence to your plan. For me, it all started with simply getting my food *choices* in order. Not calories per se, but I had to learn to really enjoy healthy real food the same amount (if not more) than food that was not so good for me.

Then, for me, it was about starting an exercise habit...and I did that by finding an activity that I fell in love with. If, for example, you love to be outdoors and hike, by all means, do that. If the mere thought of being outdoors makes you want to shrivel up, find an indoor activity that you like. Whatever it is, you just have to dig it.

Over time, I started to tweak other things: my caloric intake, my macronutrient ratio, my training program, etc. I'm finally where I want to be fitness and health wise, but it was a slow journey. However, all of the adjustments I made were slow and incremental. Nothing was a "shock" to my system and because of that, I'm very confident I can stay the course.
  • bamadwl
    bamadwl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Trogalicious gave a lot of good sound advice. Just know that myfitnesspal gives general information and you'll have to tweak you're individual plan to fit your needs. Try to educate yourself as much as possible on nutrition and excercise and make changes gradually. Don't try to go too crazy all at once so you don't get burned out, or jump into something you can't sustain long term. One of the problems with diets is that when you lose the weight and stop the diet, you normally go back to the same habits and re-gain the weight. Make permanant positive lifestyle changes. And since I see a .com reply to your post: BEWARE OF .COM ADVICE TRYING TO LURE YOU IN TO SELL YOU SOMETHING!!! That type of solicitation isn't allowed on MFP. Anyone can add me as a friend if you like. I wish you the best of luck on your journey!
  • rosiefowler11
    Options
    ^^^ This is wonderful thanks!
  • SGREGS777
    SGREGS777 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Love this group of people thanks for the info
  • kmorrison1495
    kmorrison1495 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been very active most of my life and pretty religious about the gym mainly running on a treadmill. I am a 6'4 guy so I can "carry" the weight fairly well. My problem, like you was that I would try various things and yo-yo. Although in ok shape, still clearly a way to go. I finally broke down and went to a trainer and we are spending a lot of time on nutrition along with a weight workout that I believe to be the death of me (only because exercised on a treadmill not a barbell). The most revealing is "reverse dieting" to speed my sloth like metabolism up. I was actually not eating enough calories. As explained, the metabolism takes a while to rev up and also a while to rev down. My goal in these first weeks of training was to increase calorie (and the right calorie's via tracking here on MyFitnesspal) and not gain weight. Keep it in check as I rev up my metabolism. The other eye opener was my own large carb. intake compared to protein. Track it and I bet you will see the same. I'm just balancing between, fat, carbs and Protein, with a slight slant on protein and bringing my daily calorie intake up. In these first two weeks, I have gone from 2000 calories (too few for my size) calories up to 2275/day and managed to lose 3lbs. Remember the goal was not to lose weight but to maintain as I eat more but it still came off. I am on the way to about 26-2700 calories. When I get there and my metabolism is revved up, then he will cut about 400 calories out of my diet and I will lose fairly quick. I will continue to lose because just as it took some time to rev up, it also takes time to rev down. The goal being to not let the metabolism slow too much. So I will only cut a few days and then start taking my calories back up to the 26-2700 level per day. Long dissertation to say. Don't fad diet. Work on revving up your metabolism instead of starving/depriving yourself of food.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    trogalicious your freaking awesome :flowerforyou: op follow this advice and you will be where you want to be in no time
    good luck x
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Trogalicious is spot on with his comments as is the comments from others.
    I have one additional piece of advice; surround yourself with a good support team. People that will be positive influence in your life but be truthful and firm with you. Family and friends in your social life can fit the bill, but also workmates and people you meet here. Isolate the negative ones spend as little effort and time with them.
    Okay, a second piece of advice, find activities that you enjoy and include them as often as possible. For example, I coach youth soccer and baseball and love it both the coaching and playing of the sports. So any chance I get I engage in the activities with the team. And recently I started playing soccer again.
    You can do it!
    I’m a daily logger, if you’d or anybody for that matter wants to add me go for it. Just mention this post so I know where you’re coming from. I will be very supportive, however I will call you out if needed but I expect the same too.
    Best of luck.
    V/r,
    DW.