How can i lose weight when im addicted to food?

Options

Replies

• zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Stop feeling stuck and know that you don't have to let go of food. You just need to learn control. You make the choice whether to eat something or not.

This X 100!!

It seems like you are thinking you have to give up food.. you don't! Just control more what you eat. One of the most powerful features of MFP is knowledge. Log your food intake, even if you don't make any changes and you can see tha mount of calories you are eating.
    Then adjust - cut out a little here or a little there - and notice the changes. I, like alot of people on this site, love food - I cook every day, and I have people over on weekend, and I drink beer and wine - but all in moderation and inside my personal goals.
    Go for quality over quantity - and you can still love food and eat delicious meals, but set your targets/macros and stick to them!

It seems like you are new here - so here are some great posts to read!! - especially the guide to sexypants and IIFYM.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
    Good Luck!

And one final note - it takes work and time to do it - unless you have actually been to an MD and diagnosed with a mental/physical condition please do not get enabled by the "food adiction" BS, and the enablers in the thread who tell you it's ok. If you are serious, then use the very good respnoses from those who have been there done that to learn and move toward your goal.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    You clearly don't understand what she is dealing with so you can't provide her any information that will help her deal with her issue, so you shouldn't comment at all.

Your logical fallacy is:
    Ad hominem -
    You attacked your opponent's character or personal traits in an attempt to undermine their argument.

Ad hominem attacks can take the form of overtly attacking somebody, or more subtly casting doubt on their character or personal attributes as a way to discredit their argument. The result of an ad hom attack can be to undermine someone's case without actually having to engage with it.

yourlogicalfallacy.com
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    The Diet Fix by Dr Yoni Freedhoff

or

Ditching Diets by Gillian Riley.

Read one or the other or preferably both and leave your compulsive food seeking behaviour in the dust for good.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    You clearly don't understand what she is dealing with so you can't provide her any information that will help her deal with her issue, so you shouldn't comment at all.

You realize Acg is one of the most helpful posters on these boards, right?

If "more helpful" means "ridiculing", "discrediting" and "disrespecting" the experiences of others, well then absolutely. People who think they know everything about everything even when they have ZERO personal experience with a subject are not helpful at all and, imo, are actually trying to sabotage people. What's the motivation to sabotage, I wonder?

I totally agree that everyone has power over themselves and food. Excuses and helplessness SUCK and don't help anyone. But, the FOOD matters for many of us. This person hasn't experienced many health issues, eating disorders etc that some people (often women) are struggling with here and I think he should save his advice for the things he actually knows about instead of always telling everyone else how wrong they are about their own experiences (about the subject being discussed!). And he doesn't need any personal experience... cuz "science!", but only the science that he cherry picks....
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Regarding addiction: This is the DSM criteria for substance dependence/abuse. However, I believe you could apply it to food as well:

Substance dependence, or addiction, as defined by the DSM-IV, is indicated by the presence of three or more of the criteria listed below in the last 12 months. Note that all but the first two criteria reflect some form of loss of control over the use of or effects of the drug.

Tolerance: Does the patient tend to need more of the drug over time to get the same effect?
    Withdrawal symptoms: Does the patient experience withdrawal symptoms when he or she does not use the drug?
    Continued use of drug despite harm: Is the patient experiencing physical or psychological harm from the drug?
    Loss of control: Does the patient take the drug in larger amounts, or for longer than planned?
    Attempts to cut down: Has the patient made a conscious, but unsuccessful, effort to reduce his or her drug use?
    Salience: Does the patient spend significant time obtaining or thinking about the drug, or recovering from its effects?
    Reduced involvement: Has the patient given up or reduced his or her involvement in social, occupational or recreational activities due to the drug?

Substance abuse, as defined by the DSM-IV, involves a maladaptive pattern of substance use resulting in significant negative physical, social, interpersonal or legal consequences. Unlike substance dependence, the criteria for abuse do not include tolerance, withdrawal or a pattern of compulsive or uncontrolled use.

Based on these criteria, the argument could be made for food addiction.

ETA: OP: if you feel you are struggling more than usual, please seek counseling. There could be other psychological issues that are expressing themselves through food.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If "more helpful" means "ridiculing", "discrediting" and "disrespecting" the experiences of others, well then absolutely. People who think they know everything about everything even when they have ZERO personal experience with a subject are not helpful at all and, imo, are actually trying to sabotage people. What's the motivation to sabotage, I wonder?

LMAO, then I suppose we should get rid of history teachers and the such that had no personal experience with that time period. For that matter any trainer who has not been obese themselves should not take on obese clients, all saboteurs
    I totally agree that everyone has power over themselves and food. Excuses and helplessness SUCK and don't help anyone. But, the FOOD matters for many of us. This person hasn't experienced many health issues, eating disorders etc that some people (often women) are struggling with here and I think he should save his advice for the things he actually knows about instead of always telling everyone else how wrong they are about their own experiences (about the subject being discussed!). And he doesn't need any personal experience... cuz "science!", but only the science that he cherry picks....

I suppose we should just make things up like you? Not sure how that is helpful, see ignorant statements on malnutrition and the Pima among other things
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

OK, how about this: I did and do personally experience some of the same issues that the OP brought up. So I DO have personal experience.

Does that give me the right to comment? Because my personal opinion is that "food addiction" is nothing but an excuse.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Yes, let's not discredit BS and excuses and just be everyones cheerleader. RA RA RA
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Yes, let's not discredit BS and excuses and just be everyones cheerleader. RA RA RA

Eric, you and your friend AGC are especially unkind to women whose experience of body fat gain/loss is VERY different from that of a man. Women, because of their hormones and smaller lean body mass, are "fat magnets" and their estrogen also causes their blood sugar levels to run higher. In addition, estrogen blocks the uptake of iodine (so necessary to the formation of thyroid hormones) and decreases their efficacy at a cellular level. Because of specific pollutants (called xenoestrogens) in our air, water and food, our bodies become "estrogen dominant" and that further exacerbates the problem.

Leptin resistance is MUCH more of a problem for women than men (a woman's leptin level is easily 2 to 3 times that of a man AT THE SAME BODY FAT LEVEL AS A MAN). And the fatter she is, the more leptin resistance "takes over" her body. Almost ALL obese women are leptin resistant. Those who are leptin resistant have no signals of when to stop eating--it is like trying to fly through fog without instrumentation. On a high carbohydrate diet, (which inordinately boosts blood glucose and insulin), they will cycle back and forth between being "stuffed" and being VERY hungry (because their blood sugar falls very quickly in the presence of too much insulin. When this goes on long enough, they will become insulin resistant and, if no dietary corrections are made, eventually become a Type II diabetic.

The only way to combat the unique problems obese women face is to restrict carbohydrates (she does not need to eliminate them however) and to increase exercise. Exercise and "willpower" alone will not solve the problem--but intelligent eating and exercise will combine to produce success. When you just snipe at women on the forums, you are hardly being the voice of encouragement for them--they already feel discouraged and lacking in willpower. I have been there but I now know what I need to do to solve the problem of excess body fat. I am now in the "healthy" range for my age. You would NOT have helped me with your "tough" approach. Knowledge does help and your approach with women is apparently based in ignorance.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Exercise and "willpower" alone will not solve the problem

Well, yeah they can. And do.
  • Acg67
    Options

Eric, you and your friend AGC are especially unkind to women whose experience of body fat gain/loss is VERY different from that of a man. Women, because of their hormones and smaller lean body mass, are "fat magnets" and their estrogen also causes their blood sugar levels to run higher. Estrogen also blocks the uptake of iodine and decreases its efficacy at a cellular level. Because of specific pollutants (called xenoestrogens) in our air, water and food, our bodies become "estrogen dominant" and that further exacerbates the problem.

Leptin resistance is MUCH more of a problem for women than men (a woman's leptin level is easily 2 to 3 times that of a man AT THE SAME BODY FAT LEVEL AS A MAN). And the fatter she is, the more leptin resistance "takes over" her body. Almost ALL obese women are leptin resistant. Those who are leptin resistant have no signals of when to stop eating--it is like trying to fly through fog without instrumentation. On a high carbohydrate diet, (which inordinately boosts blood glucose and insulin), they will cycle back and forth between being "stuffed" and being VERY hungry (because their blood sugar falls very quickly in the presence of too much insulin. When this goes on long enough, they will become insulin resistant and, if no dietary corrections are made, eventually become a Type II diabetic.

The only way to combat the unique problems women face is to restrict carbohydrates (she does not need to eliminate them however) and to increase exercise. Exercise and "willpower" alone will not solve the problem--but intelligent eating and exercise will combine to produce success. When you just snipe at women on the forums, you are hardly being the voice of encouragement for them--they already feel discouraged and lacking in willpower. I have been there but I now know what I need to do to solve the problem of excess body fat. I am now in the "healthy" range for my age. You would NOT have helped me with your "tough" approach. Knowledge does help and your approach with women is apparently based in ignorance.

That's the only way? Interesting. What's doubly weird is that there are plenty of studies on obese women that held cals and protein constant and just varied carb intake and fat loss wasn't significantly different. Super weird, they must have all been wrong
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    how can I lose weight? everything I see or smell that is food I want, even if im not hungry. im thinking about food right now just writing about food..its sad. I want to lose weight but I feel stuck like if I cant let go of food..HELP how should I start?

You can begin by making sure you have a calorie deficiency. This will help you understand better: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

If you don't like that site then use this site which gives you exercise calories to use after you add your exercise to your diary.

Secondly, record all of your activities (good combination of food, exercise, measurements, and water).

Relax, enjoy, and have fun!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Eric, you and your friend AGC are especially unkind to women whose experience of body fat gain/loss is VERY different from that of a man. Women, because of their hormones and smaller lean body mass, are "fat magnets" and their estrogen also causes their blood sugar levels to run higher. Estrogen also blocks the uptake of iodine and decreases its efficacy at a cellular level. Because of specific pollutants (called xenoestrogens) in our air, water and food, our bodies become "estrogen dominant" and that further exacerbates the problem.

The only way to combat the unique problems women face is to restrict carbohydrates (she does not need to eliminate them however) and to increase exercise. Exercise and "willpower" alone will not solve the problem--but intelligent eating and exercise will combine to produce success. When you just snipe at women on the forums, you are hardly being the voice of encouragement for them--they already feel discouraged and lacking in willpower. I have been there but I now know what I need to do to solve the problem of excess body fat. I am now in the "healthy" range for my age. You would NOT have helped me with your "tough" approach. Knowledge does help and your approach with women is apparently based in ignorance.

That's the only way? Interesting. What's doubly weird is that there are plenty of studies on obese women that held cals and protein constant and just varied carb intake and fat loss wasn't significantly different. Super weird, they must have all been wrong

LOL--The locus of control is in the researchers in that case--not with the woman herself. Anyone can lose weight in the short run with calorie restriction alone. Long term (and healthy) success relies on correct application to the metabolic problems that obese women face.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

What happens when arthritis, injury and/or pregnancy throw a monkey wrench into the works?
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options

What happens when arthritis, injury and/or pregnancy throw a monkey wrench into the works?

where can i get one of these "money wrenches?" :wink:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Obviously you would have to adjust your intake to compensate for a lack of activity (or find a different activity), and I'm pretty sure you don't want to lose weight when you're pregnant.
  • Acg67
    Options

LOL--The locus of control is in the researchers in that case--not with the woman herself. Anyone can lose weight in the short run with calorie restriction alone. Long term (and healthy) success relies on correct application to the metabolic problems that obese women face.

You just said the only way is to restrict carbs, now it's calorie restriction alone will work, at least in the short term. Since you like many others prefer anecdotes over you know science, I wonder if there is a single woman on this site that lost weight and maintained it using a calorie deficit and then maintenance cals. Prob not since I learned today the only way to do it is through carb restriction
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    how can I lose weight? everything I see or smell that is food I want, even if im not hungry. im thinking about food right now just writing about food..its sad. I want to lose weight but I feel stuck like if I cant let go of food..HELP how should I start?

Eat in a deficit and get some will power, since "food addiction" is just an excuse

tumblr_m7643jcWcY1rziwwco1_400.gif
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Obviously you would have to adjust your intake to compensate for a lack of activity (or find a different activity), and I'm pretty sure you don't want to lose weight when you're pregnant.

But inactivity alone, in the presence of the kinds of hormones I'm speaking of will cause a loss of lean tissue and a gain of body fat (even under severe calorie restriction--and remember, it is unwise for any adult to go below 1,200 calories if they expect to stay adequately nourished). Women can't actually help gaining body fat during pregnancy and lactation (very high estrogen levels) unless they severely restrict calories (and that is very unwise, as you have pointed out). So, you take a woman who is already feeling crummy about having become obese during pregnancy and lactation and is having difficulty dealing with the stress (high cortisol) of being responsible for a newborn (along with the lack of sleep that that entails--also leading to belly-fat producing high cortisol) and "kick her in the pants"? Interesting that the ones advocating this "tough love" approach are athletic 30-something males. You don't even begin to understand.
  • flamesdes1re
    Options
    The documentary "Ready for a Change" available on netflix, talks about the different additives that food companies add to food to make them addictive. For example MSG. If you avoid MSG, and refined sugar for 6 weeks, you may regain control of your appetite. I am also a foodie. This time around, I am trying eat when ever I want to but make sure it is a vegetable first, then a lean protien. If I am still hungry, I will then eat fruit. Still hungry? Nuts. I am also drinking green smoothies made with protein powder. They are very cleansing, filling and satisfying. The smoothies soothe my IBS.

I have a similar problem. I can cook the best and healtiest meals but I never get full.
    I will keep you posted on this. .

I think the documentary you're talking about is "Food for Change", and you're right. It's phenomenal!

The other thing that really helped me understand what I was eating was "Skinny *****", a book. I'll have to look up the author again, but it's really informative. It pushes the organic vegan lifestyle hardcore, which I wasn't a fan of, but I've taken the tips and applied it to non-organic foods (I would absolutely go organic if I could afford it, but I just can't justify the money right now).

Another tip that might help you both actually is to eat small meals every two hours. Find the foods that are low in calories but filling that work for you. There are tons of recipes out there for the healthiest alternatives possible for your favorite foods. And they're really very delicious!