Can someone explain Oil Pulling?

Options

Replies

• cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    It's an Ayurvedic (Indian science) practice that is supposed to whiten your teeth, remove bacteria, and kill toxins. It freshens your breath and basically just cleans out your mouth. There are other crazy claims, but it is does lessen bacteria and improve overall oral health. I am working on building up to this... I gag on the coconut oil when it is melting in my mouth. Ugh. But it's been done for a long time with great benefits. No cure all, though. And no replacement for regular dental hygiene. I can do it for about five minutes. Twenty is rough.
  • Mallyycatt
    Mallyycatt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Even though some people are trying it and claiming that it works, I just talked to my health care provider, and we called a dietitian... And she stated that this is all just a 'fad' .. it's not worth it.

:)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    It's an Ayurvedic (Indian Faith Healing) practice that is supposed to whiten your teeth, remove bacteria, and kill toxins. It freshens your breath and basically just cleans out your mouth. There are other crazy claims, but it is does lessen bacteria and improve overall oral health. I am working on building up to this... I gag on the coconut oil when it is melting in my mouth. Ugh. But it's been done for a long time with great benefits. No cure all, though. And no replacement for regular dental hygiene. I can do it for about five minutes. Twenty is rough.

FIFY
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Anything where you have to spit it out instead of swallowing can't be any good.

Do you swallow tooth paste and mouth wash?

Touche, however I also don't swish it around for 20 minutes either. :tongue:

Yeah, 20 minutes is just too much for my jaw. Great exercise for those muscles though....

3025-if-you-know-what-i-mean.png
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Anything where you have to spit it out instead of swallowing can't be any good.

.i.28.LQ%20CUPID.gif
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I had read about it and was hoping with fingers crossed that I'd find some legit info that it's helpful for people with sinus problems (one article claimed it helps). Didn't find enough good info. Will stick to my neti pot.

I'm a neti pot user myself...and gearing up for the spring mould outside lol I think I will stick to my neti pot as well.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    if you swallow a bunch of coconut oil, does it act as a laxative?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    This is one of those things that bothers me because the name of it sounds scary and/or gross! hehe

Although now that I actually know what it is, I'm skeptical yet curious.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think anything that combines 'ancient' and 'medicine' should be treated with the utmost skepticism.

Not to say there wasn't some trial and error, and things that were stumbled across, but generally it was 99% superstitious nonsense.

I think if I swished anything around in my mouth for 20 minutes, it would be liable to work some gunk out of my teeth. It's kind of like saying rubbing your skin with a special 'ancient' crystal makes skin younger... well so does nearly any form of exfoliation, doesn't have a damn thing to do with the crystal.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's an Ayurvedic (Indian science) practice that is supposed to whiten your teeth, remove bacteria, and kill toxins. It freshens your breath and basically just cleans out your mouth. There are other crazy claims, but it is does lessen bacteria and improve overall oral health. I am working on building up to this... I gag on the coconut oil when it is melting in my mouth. Ugh. But it's been done for a long time with great benefits. No cure all, though. And no replacement for regular dental hygiene. I can do it for about five minutes. Twenty is rough.
    Human sacrifice was done for a long time, and believers thought that had great benefits also. Just because something is old, and primitive people thought it was a good idea, doesn't make it a good idea.

For a more recent example of pseudoscience quackery, from the late 1890s through as far as even today, quacks have been convincing people that radioactive substances were cure alls. Radioactive drinking water, radioactive toothpastes, radium salts, all kinds of wacky things were marketed, promising cures for everything.

This continued and people believed it even after we found out that radioactive substances are rather, well, unhealthy for human beings.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'll stick to tooth paste, it's cheaper than oil. There's some good info in ancient medicine but there's also a lot of crap that folks will buy into.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I had to Google that one too. You have to swish oil around in your mouth for 20min? really? 20min!? :huh: I think I'll stick to just brushing my teeth and drinking lots of water.

http://news.discovery.com/human/psychology/can-oil-pulling-improve-your-health-140311.htm

A friend recently posted about this on FB... I just can't imagine swishing oil around in my mouth for 20 minutes. Ever. :sick:

Me either. That sounds disgusting.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Human sacrifice was done for a long time, and believers thought that had great benefits also. Just because something is old, and primitive people thought it was a good idea, doesn't make it a good idea.

For a more recent example of pseudoscience quackery, from the late 1890s through as far as even today, quacks have been convincing people that radioactive substances were cure alls. Radioactive drinking water, radioactive toothpastes, radium salts, all kinds of wacky things were marketed, promising cures for everything.

This continued and people believed it even after we found out that radioactive substances are rather, well, unhealthy for human beings.

There's an ancient Egyptian recipe for a spermicide ( contraceptive) that uses crocodile dung. Waiting for someone here to try that......and then post about it..
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

There's an ancient Egyptian recipe for a spermicide ( contraceptive) that uses crocodile dung. Waiting for someone here to try that......and then post about it..

As soon as Dr Oz does a special . . .
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

You need some more information about Ayurvedic medicine and lift that vail of ignorance. Not the supposedly ayurvedic crap touted and sold in the West, but the original medicine.
    Are you saying that the 1.27 billion people living in India are all primitive people ? I think they are no more primitive than the 320 million Americans or 120 million Mexicans to just give an example.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

You need some more information about Ayurvedic medicine and lift that vail of ignorance. Not the supposedly ayurvedic crap touted and sold in the West, but the original medicine.
    Are you saying that the 1.27 billion people living in India are all primitive people ? I think they are no more primitive than the 320 million Americans or 120 million Mexicans to just give an example.
    ?

Not sure the relevance, and also not sure when I said modern day Indians were primitive. I said that just because something is old, doesn't mean it's true. Hence why I gave my other example, of radioactive therapy, which had nothing to do with anyone being "primitive," as it was (very loosely) based on modern (and western) scientific discoveries. Something doesn't have to be "old," "new," "western," "eastern," or any other adjective to be pure crap.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Ayurvedic sounds like a combination of traditional medicines and witch doctoring.

As for the primitive part, if you're trying to tell us that 1.27 billion people in India practice ayurveda and that evidence-based medicine is nonexistent, then you're a joke.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

20ce64f217f0d4c3cac3d52b577dbefa07cc3c4dbb37b4f84c524dba536e9f53.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

20ce64f217f0d4c3cac3d52b577dbefa07cc3c4dbb37b4f84c524dba536e9f53.jpg

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • mandyysue
    mandyysue Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I tried it this morning, completely skeptical, and omg my teeth feel so much cleaner and I swear they are already a little whiter. My teeth literally feel like I had a teeth cleaning at the dentist this morning!