Does weight loss make you feel colder?

Options
I am close to hitting 40 pounds lost (since March 2012), and I'm wondering if I feel colder as a result; I seem to need an extra layer of clothing more often, my hands and feet are chilly more frequently than I recall. Anyone else have this experience?

Today for example, It's not very cold where I am (above 40 degrees), and I'm eating and active as usual. But still, I'm a bit cold.

So is it the weight loss or am I just getting old? :grumble: :smile:

Replies

• elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Im so glad somebody made this...and yes...its a the weightloss

I have the same problem..but mines comes from eating lower carbs (idk the scientific reasoning behind it but when I eat higher carbs, my body temp is normal to hot..but lower carbs make me feel cold-er) and from weight/fat loss. Extra Fat keeps you warmer as well

So I agree and am glad im not the only person having this experience. (cant wait for summer weather to come to NC)
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! I swear, I'm always cold now.

It's not just you, you're not going crazy, and you're not just getting old :laugh:
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one! I always feel cold now, especially on days when I eat fewer carbs or less healthy fats.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Ohhh yeah. My mom weighs a lot less than me and we are always arguing about the temperature. I think her house is too hot and she thinks mine is too cold. lol

Fat keeps you warm!
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Im so glad somebody made this...and yes...its a the weightloss

I have the same problem..but mines comes from eating lower carbs (idk the scientific reasoning behind it but when I eat higher carbs, my body temp is normal to hot..but lower carbs make me feel cold-er) and from weight/fat loss. Extra Fat keeps you warmer as well

So I agree and am glad im not the only person having this experience. (cant wait for summer weather to come to NC)

I'm no expert, and this is just a guess, but you may be feeling colder from low-carb because carbohydrates are fast energy to the body, and therefore the body has more energy to burn (which keeps it revved up). But, with lower carbs, your body has less of this quickly accessible energy to burn, and therefore the constant temperature may be lower.

THIS IS JUST A GUESS!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    YES
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Also, you may feel colder because you're losing muscle. It's your muscle that keeps your warm, not fat. Don't lose muscle. Eat more protein. Lift weights.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I concur.
  • Slulik
    Slulik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Don't worry...we have not turned into vampires or a lizzard.

I too find that I get cold chills quite often. Usually come a long when I am hungry, and happens especially when I eat apples. Its odd.
  • Travelbug1955
    Travelbug1955 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's affected how cold I am. I am wearing a sweater everywhere now. I've lost 56 pounds and can tell a difference.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Also, you may feel colder because you're losing muscle. It's your muscle that keeps your warm, not fat. Don't lose muscle. Eat more protein. Lift weights.

I eat upwards of 160g protein on any given day and lift- consistently for the last 3 years. And I'm always cold after dropping 40 lbs. New theory.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Correct. This was the ONE thing that no one told me about weight loss and I was not prepared for. :) The first winter after I lost some significant weight was rough. Summer wasn't any better. I am now one of those people who always brings a sweater.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    What's your iron intake like? A lot of people go anemic when they diet and become iron deficient...constant coldness (when one really shouldn't necessarily be cold) is often a symptom of iron deficiency. You are losing some insulation when you cut the fat, but generally speaking you should only really feel cold when it is appropriately cold...you really shouldn't be chronically cold in average conditions generally speaking (save for the chills here and there).

I'd also add that this can sometimes be a symptom of low blood pressure as well...and, some people are just cold I think. My Administrative Assistant is always cold and that is her issue...she is always running her space heater, even now when it's 75* in the office.

I have lost around 40 Lbs and I am cold when it is appropriate for me to be cold; I'm not cold when it's like 75* in the office or anything like that. I used to be abnormally hot when it was not appropriate to be hot and I used to be able to weather cooler temps without bundling up...but I'd say now, I'm just appropriately cold and appropriately hot.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I used to always be hot. ALL the time. I'm always the cold one now.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yup! My lack of blubber definitely makes me feel the cold sooner. Oh well, I would rather have to carry around a sweater now and then instead of 30 extra pounds always.
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    YES! I'm 60lbs lighter and always cold.
  • sadiebea25
    Options
    Yes! I miss that. Being overweight now I'm always super hot!! I'm sick of being so hot all the time. That's one thing I'm looking forward to when I lose this weight.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think it makes sense that losing insulation will cause you to be chillier. BUT I have noticed that if I'm under my calories by too far, I need an extra sweater. So it could be a combination of losing all that fat AND eating at too much of a deficit. :) (at least in my case, since whenever I eat I shortly feel warmer again).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes I constantly wear socks, slippers and a hoodie at home and often have a wool pash at work to wrap up in.

You no longer have that fat to keep you warm...it sucks but it a lot better than being fat.

As well I eat lots of protien and lift so it's not muscle...I have my iron checked regularly due to issues (going to high or too low....don't ask) with it and a family history of being b12 deficent
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    YES - definitely colder. And I'm really not too keen on being able to feel my tailbone now. Guess it's something I'll get used to. I'm really not complaining, as I find that being able to cross my legs when I sit and not getting out of breath when I lean over to tie my shoes a huge bonus.