Does weight loss make you feel colder?

Options

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Yes. Less layers for warmth. Kind of annoying really.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely. Pretty common.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Fat is an insulating layer, only makes sense that as you lose fat you would be more susceptible to cold.

Thing is you can always just put on an extra layer, harder to just decide to shed 40 pounds of bodyfat at a moments notice so I think you are still better off.
  • mommyvo23
    mommyvo23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have found I am colder too, especially after an intense cardio workout. First I sweat and turn red, then about an hour later, I start to feel cold..weird:)
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Yes! I live in Arizona, where the lowest temperature in the winter is 45-50 degrees fahrenheit. That is the absolute coldest I can stand. If it's any colder I feel like I'm going into shock! I never used to be that way. I used to walk around in December with no jacket and a short sleeved top...now it's multiple layers!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    yup!! I used to be able to stroll around the house all winter long in a t shirt/ shorts now I actually need to bundle up! >_<
    -20 cold resistance! lol
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yep, after losing over 100lbs I was/am pretty cold during winter this year (it's montana, winter is like 8 months out of the damn year). Then again doesn't help that I was being cheap and didn't buy a nice new jacket as I knew I would only be able to wear it for less than a year.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Im so glad somebody made this...and yes...its a the weightloss

I have the same problem..but mines comes from eating lower carbs (idk the scientific reasoning behind it but when I eat higher carbs, my body temp is normal to hot..but lower carbs make me feel cold-er) and from weight/fat loss. Extra Fat keeps you warmer as well

So I agree and am glad im not the only person having this experience. (cant wait for summer weather to come to NC)

I'm no expert, and this is just a guess, but you may be feeling colder from low-carb because carbohydrates are fast energy to the body, and therefore the body has more energy to burn (which keeps it revved up). But, with lower carbs, your body has less of this quickly accessible energy to burn, and therefore the constant temperature may be lower.

THIS IS JUST A GUESS!

Nope. I eat a lot of carbs at maintenance now, but I'm still way colder than I've been in the past. It's the fat loss.
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    -20 cold resistance! lol

:bigsmile: The gamer in me couldn't help but laugh at that.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Coldness. The secret pain of the skinny.
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm always cold now. I had thought it would eventually regulate out, but nope. It's been years and still cold. I've had thyroid, iron, etc all tested to try and figure it out. Everything is good. I am just cold haha! I love my space heater at work, always wear layers, always have a hoodie or sweater.

But on the plus side, the summer heat does not even remotely bother me now where I died before. I can even get in the scalding hot car and it not bother me at all for several minutes until the cars air conditioning starts to work. So at least that is a bonus to the numbing cold.
  • KD0BIK
    KD0BIK Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yep, much colder without my almost 50 pounds of insulating fat. But I'm happy to grab a coat from now on.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Always, but I think it may have more to do with my blood pressure dropping, and some glycemic issues than my weight loss. My hands and feet turn purple if I stand on my tile floor in my socks, and they never used to when I weighed more and wasn't concerned about my health.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    less fat = less insulation
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Yep, a lot colder now. I like it in the summer, though... if summer would ever freaking get here.
  • Da_Big_Kahuna
    Da_Big_Kahuna Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I have a lot less insulation at 270 than I did at 365. Even my wife has commented that I'm not as warm in the bed anymore. I used to radiate a lot of heat under the blankets.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Always, but I think it may have more to do with my blood pressure dropping, and some glycemic issues than my weight loss. My hands and feet turn purple if I stand on my tile floor in my socks, and they never used to when I weighed more and wasn't concerned about my health.

this happens to my dads wife...she has circulation issues...I would get that checked out...
  • aem135
    aem135 Posts: 44
    Options
    OMG YES!! I always feel chilly!! I was shivering the other dressed in boots and a thick sweater and still was cold, my husband was totally fine and thought I was unusually cold lately. lol
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I was cold all the time to begin with, but "I'm cold, isn't it cold?" is my battle cry these days. My boyfriend thinks it's hilarious now, but wait for the summer when I'm comfortable and he's sweating.

...granted, summer lasts like three days in my area, but still. VENGEANCE.
  • karinawiser
    karinawiser Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My suggestion, get B12 liquid and take a dose every morning (I have NOW brand). And also Kelp supplement - for iodine.
    With this changes, I don't feel cold at all, although I used to be the same way and feel cold every time while loosing weight.

The B12 and Kelp supplement suggestion came from the book 'The Plan', which suggests that most women and some men have thyroid problems without even knowing it.. The supplements will fix that problem and help with heat regulation.

try it, you won't regret it :-)