Do you eat before working out ?

Options

Replies

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    For my early morning workouts I don't. Maybe a cup of coffee. If it's lunchtime, I'll have something light about 90 minutes beforehand.
  • LadyWeaselofVT
    LadyWeaselofVT Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to personal preference. I take a walk immediately after lunch but that's just because it's the only break I have during my workday and it helps wake me up for the afternoon. I often finish exercising after work and do so on an empty stomach. My routine hasn't affected my weight loss--- I still lose an average of a pound a week.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    But does it effect the efficiency of a workout, or does it not matter because ultimately i'm still at a deficit?

In this regard, it doesn't seem to matter. Although there are some studies that suggest time to exhaustion is increased when some food is ingested - your body thinks it has more energy. And it seems like the catabolic effects of exercise are diminished with a good portion of carbs and protein after working out strenuously. I think the gym-rat (I used to be one a long time ago!) answer to this is rice and tuna :)

What can happen is that your nutrient timing affects the quality of your workout, either by being too full or by not being fueled enough to do a quality workout.

I can't eat a lot before running or doing an intense bicycle race. Maybe a gel. But on a long, not-too-intense bike ride? I've consumed chicken sandwiches, PBJ sandwiches, baked potatoes, cookies, bars, figs... I have a pretty strong gut, and 4 hour rides with no solid foods are hard.
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I'll have a snack if I'm feeling hungry before a workout but most of the time no. Upsets my stomach to much.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    But does it effect the efficiency of a workout, or does it not matter because ultimately i'm still at a deficit?
    It's vital while being in a deficit. When you're in a surplus, meal timing is not that important.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

In this regard, it doesn't seem to matter. Although there are some studies that suggest time to exhaustion is increased when some food is ingested - your body thinks it has more energy. And it seems like the catabolic effects of exercise are diminished with a good portion of carbs and protein after working out strenuously. I think the gym-rat (I used to be one a long time ago!) answer to this is rice and tuna :)

What can happen is that your nutrient timing affects the quality of your workout, either by being too full or by not being fueled enough to do a quality workout.

I can't eat a lot before running or doing an intense bicycle race. Maybe a gel. But on a long, not-too-intense bike ride? I've consumed chicken sandwiches, PBJ sandwiches, baked potatoes, cookies, bars, figs... I have a pretty strong gut, and 4 hour rides with no solid foods are hard.
    The catabolic effects are over hyped, especially in the short term. You will not lose all your muscle if you don't eat before you workout.

I agree with this though, "What can happen is that your nutrient timing affects the quality of your workout, either by being too full or by not being fueled enough to do a quality workout."
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 15-25g of carbs about an hour beforehand, and some protein afterwards. I'm diabetic, and if I don't do the carbs beforehand, I come back shaky.
  • hannaawh
    hannaawh Posts: 51
    Options

For losing weight? No, it doesn't effect the efficiency if you can still pull through the workout.
    But again, see how it goes. Do it a couple of times with or without the snack and see what feels better.
    But especially when you're just trying to lose weight, not to gain a huge amount of muscle, you do NOT need to fuel your body before a workout if you're feeling fine.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I can't eat before I run, it makes me pukey.

Depending on when I lift during the day (sometimes early AM sometimes in the evening or even late evening) I may have some carbs and protein... but if it's after lunch, my lunch usually tides me over.

I have Aussie Rules footy practice on Saturday mornings. Usually I try to force down a banana and some peanut butter, and maybe even a little coffee before because A) getting up at 7:30 on a Saturday is hard and B) it's a lot of sprinting and conditioning work to be doing fasted for 2 hours.
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    Well i do Breakfast > Jog (if its not cold or raining) > Lunch > Yoga/Cardio > Video Games > Dinner > Other Stuff > Sleep

So yes i eat before. It gives me energy.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    if training morning then no i don't eat if night then yes but i wait about a hour before
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I work-out in the morning Mon - Sat and always have 1/2 a banana or else I feel shaky and dizzy, but more than that and my tummy isn't super happy. I usually run a couple of treadmill miles in the evening and can do this right after dinner on a full stomach if I need to. It's weird, our bodies. I definitely think it's personal preference and trying what works for you.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I tried once, never again. I wound up puking halfway through.
  • bludflower
    Options
    I have to eat something small (an apple or some peanut butter on a slice of bread) before I work out in the morning, otherwise I'll feel dizzy and sluggish. Later in the day, it doesn't really matter. As long as I've eaten something within the last few hours, I'm good to go. Also, I drink water throughout my workouts, and there's nothing worse than having water swish around in my otherwise empty stomach.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I eat 50 g of starchy carbs before a workout, usually with shake of protein powder and unsweetened coconut milk, usually 1 1/2 hours before a workout. I basically try to do the same after. I hit many more personal records in lifting and have better times in swimming, running, and CrossFit when my workout is fueled (that's just my own personal experience).
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I will typically eat something carby about 30 minutes to an hour before my training. Just for energy, not for any other reason.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If I eat before running or swimming I usually end up needing the loo halfway through :embarassed:
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    When are you going to the gym? After you wake up? After you work all day? Timing of your meals would depend on if you are hungry or not. If you are hungry, of course your workouts will be impacted by lack of energy. If you aren't hungry at all, then they shouldn't be impacted.

Case in point: decades ago, I used to have 4oz protein before a high-intensity cardio to keep from glycemic level dropping like a rock.
    Tuesday: not enough breakfast prior to my bike ride. No endurance and had to cut it short. Absolutely tanked on that one.
    Friday: big enough breakfast prior to my bike ride led to not having to re-feed for endurance.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    This is one of those things that really is a matter of personal preference. It can take some experimentation to figure out what works for you. For me, I need some carbs and some protein before I lift in order to get the best workout. But with running I need just carbs. I can't workout fasted; I end up light headed.

I know a ton of people who can only workout fasted and who get nauseous if they try to eat first.

Try it a couple of different ways and see what allows you to workout with the most intensity.

^^^^This. Not only do I have to have a large snack before I do any exercise of any kind to avoid getting nauseated, fatigued and passing out, but I often have to have a protein shake about 1/2 way through my workout as well, then afterwards I usually eat dinner. I am not advocating this for everyone, of course.

A question does come to mind. If you're fasting before lifting or cardio, where are you getting the energy to burn calories (fat requires carbs to begin the burning process) or build muscle (which we all know takes protein)?
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I'm in the gym at 5am so no, I don't eat before. I usually sip a cup of green tea or coffee on the way there. It hasn't had any negative affect on me. I eat right after and feel great :flowerforyou: