I am "small" to new people :) (Share your stories too!)

Options

Replies

• abcdefghijkayla
    abcdefghijkayla Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I went in to try on jeans and told the sales associate the last time I checked I was a size 20. Now I'm a size 4.

HOW EVEN???? :noway:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    At my job some young 20-something guys came in, very average sized dudes a little taller than me. They were working for a guy who buys products from the company I work for and they were talking about their weight. All of them were around the same as my current weight (as a 5'8" woman of course I'm still overweight) like 185-205 and one of them said 193 which was my weight at the time and I was like "oh me too" and they looked kind of surprised that I'd openly admit that but I added "For me that's awesome because I used to weigh 300" and they were just like "Seriously??!" and they seemed very surprised.

Also, last year when I'd lost around 20 lb on this site, I temporarily did some work at a law firm located in a house over 100 years old and there was a tenant in the upstairs of the house who was about the same size I'd been at my heaviest (65 lb heavier than I was at the time) and my coworkers were talking about how huge she was and how she probably would die soon from all of her health issues etc. I was like, "Naw not necessarily you guys...I was that big and I didn't have x, y, or z" they did not know what in the world to say!
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Super inspiring thread! Keep the stories coming!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Actually on another thread, the poster mentions her "tiny" size 8 friend. I'm thinking I'm a size 8 and I never would consider myself tiny.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    Actually on another thread, the poster mentions her "tiny" size 8 friend. I'm thinking I'm a size 8 and I never would consider myself tiny.

It's all relative.
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I was having a conversation with people at work about food. I said something about food and finished with."trust me, i'm a fat kid". The girl sitting next to me (who never really saw me heavy), kinda tilted her head to the side quizically and said, "you're not fat".

It felt good to hear it but i shed a little tear because my credibility as a fat kid is gone.

Malcolm Gladwell wrote a book called Outliers where he says that it takes at least 10,000 hours of doing something before you can become an expert. Well, i've logged well over 10,000 hours so i'm an expert on being fat and people have to listen..lol

I have a similar experience... I was talking about some of my bad eating habits and why I "got fat" only to have people stare at me mouths agape going "wtf are you talking about your not fat!" You are right though, you totally lose your credibility when you are no longer fat! :(

I was hanging out with some of my Derby friends and they were saying that most people get Large size pads. I mentioned that all my pads were medium, and they were like well you are pretty small. I think they must have thought I was crazy because I was like "I AM?????"

Seriously I have no concept of my size anymore!
  • seltzermint555
    Options

I was hanging out with some of my Derby friends and they were saying that most people get Large size pads. I mentioned that all my pads were medium, and they were like well you are pretty small. I think they must have thought I was crazy because I was like "I AM?????"

Seriously I have no concept of my size anymore!

I am still big, but after being around 270 for way more than a decade, that's the size I am in my mind. Now at 191 lb I still think of myself as being much much larger. Tonight I was sharing a loveseat with my best friend at a coffee shop and I noticed that I didn't take up my whole cushion nor did I need to squish myself over toward the edge like I did before. So weird, still. It is just getting weirder all of the time for me...last weekend I was in a store that had both regular and plus sizes and I felt like I was having an identity crisis. I kept wanting to check out the plus size clearance only to hold up a 1X top and know that it was too big. Very weird, still.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Tight_Fit
    Tight_Fit Posts: 453
    Options
    When I went in to try on jeans and told the sales associate the last time I checked I was a size 20. Now I'm a size 4.

HOW EVEN???? :noway:

lol i posted a success story yesterday. It's called "Can't believe I made it"
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I lost a little over 20 lbs last year. I wasn't really over weight, but I couldn't use the "my clothes shrunk" excuse any more and I had to do something about it. (Back on here as the scales have started to go back up). I got comments at work (with an apology because I work for two men and he didn't think it was appropriate to comment on my weight loss!), but wasn't really getting comments at church, until I bought a new dress for the ladies Christmas banquet. It was a nice slim fitting dress, that I never would have gotten away with before. That's when I starting getting comments and asking what I did!

Edit: I know you can only see the very top portion, but I'm wearing said dress in my profile picture.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the amazing stories. Love this stuff.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite things is when folks say, "How are you eating that much?! Where does it all go, you're so small." Haha usually it's at family gatherings so I go all out, they don't know what happens at home! :P
  • MzHornedOne
    MzHornedOne Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This is a really cool and inspiring thread :)
  • McKenzieLeigh
    McKenzieLeigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I love this!

I am not smaller yet, but it took me a long time when I got bigger to start picking up the bigger clothes. I would try on my old sizes and not realize I needed something bigger. I can't wait until it is that way in reverse since I have finally gotten used to XL and size 18. I want to be able to put them back and get something single digit.

Thank you all for inspiring us and seeing that it can be done!
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options

Whoa!
    What a change! Congrats!
  • stripeytrousers
    Options
    Sounds silly but someone at work called me a 'skinny minny' the other day. I couldn't stop smiling allllllllllll day! :-D
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It is just getting weirder all of the time for me...last weekend I was in a store that had both regular and plus sizes and I felt like I was having an identity crisis. I kept wanting to check out the plus size clearance only to hold up a 1X top and know that it was too big. Very weird, still.

That happened to me today - I kept looking at the size UK 18 clothes in the sales bit. I forget what size I am, or don't truly believe what size I am now! Seeing as I spent a decade in denial about how big I was I suppose it's only natural not to fully recognize what size I am today.

There was a dress I saw a couple of months ago that I liked, that I didn't try on at the time - and today there was only one, a size UK 12 - I think that's a US 8 or 10 - on the rack, marked way down. I tried it on but it was just a bit too big!
    It was in a store that might err a little on the side of vanity sizing (M&S) but still - I *couldn't believe* the UK 12 was to big to buy. It seems totally unreal - I was never a UK 12 even when I was a teenager. I floated out of the shop in a dream-like state.
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Pretty much whenever I have freshy cleaned pants and hold them up I kind of get a mental panic that I won't be able to get them on because they look SO small (I am finally in a 10 - I can't even imagine what these 4s look like you guys speak of! LOL)

someone brought in some pastries to work the other day. I usually avoid all things like that at work, but I decided to have a peice - this guy comes shooting out of his office "Teresa is having some! I have to see this!" It wasn't in a snarky way, like those that new me before would say, but like he knew I always ate healthy and it must be something great if I was going to have a piece.

My husband gets so exasperated with me because whenever I take a picture with anyone, I always look at it and am genuienly surprised that I am "normal size" compared to everyone else. The last time I said "oh good, my face is just as small as Mary's!" he was like DUH! CRAZY!
  • suorkaterina
    suorkaterina Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Keep the stories going you guys. I'm finding them super inspirational!
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My friend was talking about making plans to go the beach in a few months; and I told her that I would go but not get in the water since I don't have bathing suits that fit.

She offered one of hers for me to borrow and I weakly said "Yeah, like any of your suits would fit me."

Her response? "Hey!!! I'm not that much bigger than you. You're right though, mine will probably be too big on you"

I've always thought of her as really tiny and athletic so hearing her say she (indirectly) thinks of me as smaller than her was like....

"WHAT???? NOOOO THAT's NOT WHAT I MEANT!!!"

It's just weird to think that I am not overweight anymore. It'll take time to catch up to my brain.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!