15 Calories Per Cough Drop??!!!

Options
Lana359
Lana359 Posts: 64 Member
Hello! I've been dealing with a non-stop cough & sore throat for about 4 days, now. I just found out that the Halls Cough Drops that I've been taking are 15 calories per drop!!! I couldn't believe it! I know I added at least 150 calories on the first day I was taking them. Does anyone know of a low or no calorie cough drop/throat lozenge?

Thank you in advanced for your help! :smile:

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Halls Sugar Free are only 5 calories instead of 15.
  • KhrystyneHutton
    Options
    Halls Refresh are only 30 Calories per 5 cough drops!
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    What ever you do, stay away from Neo-Citran! I found out 1 packet of that stuff is 80 calories and 20 grams of sugar! >:(
  • Anolte76
    Anolte76 Posts: 105
    Options
    Ricola Sugar Free Throat Drops, Lemon Mint are zero calories
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    seriously don't sweat it- no one I've ever met got fat from cough drops :)
  • JustJenn419
    JustJenn419 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! I JUST put a Halls cough drop in my mouth, refreshed my computer, and saw your post! If that's the case, then I was definitely over my calorie goal yesterday. I also have been fighting this for a couple days now and these are the only things that provide any kind of relief. I can't believe how much 15 calories can add up! Just 6 of them is more than an Edy's Fruit Bar!!!
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! I JUST put a Halls cough drop in my mouth, refreshed my computer, and saw your post! If that's the case, then I was definitely over my calorie goal yesterday. I also have been fighting this for a couple days now and these are the only things that provide any kind of relief. I can't believe how much 15 calories can add up! Just 6 of them is more than an Edy's Fruit Bar!!!

personally, i'd focus more on getting better than worrying about a cough drop! lol
  • JustJenn419
    JustJenn419 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

personally, i'd focus more on getting better than worrying about a cough drop! lol

If it was a cough drop that made me better, I wouldn't worry about it. When it's mechanism of comfort, I'll worry all I want...
    Thanks
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I've had a sore throat the past week and I didn't count my cough drops, even though I know they add up to over 150. My reasoning is that they have no nutrients, and I don't want to hold off getting better so I can eat what I normally eat.
    I still lost weight, so I'd say that you shouldn't worry about going a little over from cough drops. At worst, you'll lose 0.7 lbs/week instead of 1 (if 1 was your original goal)
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    The act of coughing, nose blowing, etc. all burn calories above and beyond those normally burned by a body at rest. A ten minute bout of coughing would expend 8 calories. If you've been coughing to ten minutes before taking your cough drop, your net caloric intake is only 7.

Honestly, when I'm battling a cold, I have a problem getting enough calories as nothing tastes good, many food simply add to the mucus in my throat and I'm just to darn tired to even fix something to eat.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Of course, there are a lot of people here who do not understand calorie counting and say that cough drops will not make you fat. Ignore that advice and find a lower calorie solution for the cough.
  • stewarm01
    stewarm01 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Once I stopped on the way to taking my son to school and bought some donut holes for him. I ate one.

Later went to put in my calories, 51!!!!

I was like, !!!!!!!