Water ugh

Options
I have a hard time with my water intake, due to the fact I just don't like water. Does anyone know of anything that can be added to the water that is very low calorie and carb free so that it doesn't feel like such a chore to get my gallon a day in?

Replies

• Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I like fruit waters.

Go to pinterest for some recipes.

I found the Apple + Cinammon stick one very good. The Basil and Strawberry is also good but be sure to use FRESH basil and not the stuff from McCormicks (true personal stupidity story there).

Fresh Mint and a Lime is also really good!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I add lemon when I get bored- tastes delicious.
  • haleymiller0707
    haleymiller0707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I added ginger and lime to my water this week and really enjoyed it. I filled a quart jar water and added sliced ginger and small wedges of lime and let it marinate over night.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this here: http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Soda, coffee, juice, soup, etc. all contribute to your daily hydration, as does the liquid present in a majority of fruits and vegetables. . . or even meats. There's nothing magical about 8 glasses a day, or about H2O that's been separated from other ingredients in terms of hydration.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Crystal light. It's only 5 calories.
  • ShellyUmana
    Options
    Thanks everyone this is a big help... I feel not as guilty about my water now. :smile:
  • 3mtntops
    3mtntops Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Me too, I do not like water. When I eat fresh vegetables and then drink water I get a uncomfortable feeling in my stomach.
    I have found when out to eat , it is better to have it iced and a squeeze of lemon or lemon slice in it.
    Before I had a decade long habit of drinking a soft drink with my meal( Contributed to unnecessary calories and sodium).
    But the Bicarbonate in the soft drink actually settled my stomach as it went to work digesting.
    Solution= flavored waters or Crystal Light type drinks which are 0 calorie.
    Good Luck its a lifestyle change.
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I love those sugar free Crystal Light type mixes. The little packets travel really well and are really affordable so I have a huge variety on hands at all times. Some taste just like Kool Aid.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    We keep a pitcher with infuser in it in the fridge at all times.

Fill the infuser with whatever fruit is on hand and boom flavoured water!

ETA : Strawberry/kiwi is by far my favorite flavour!
  • JackieRL55
    JackieRL55 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I hate water. I really don't like to drink that much at all because it makes me pee almost instantly. I've spoken to several doctors about this and they said it's normal that some peoples bladders just are more active then others. I was also told that the 8 cup rule is a myth HOWEVER they still do recommend drinking water as much as possible because of all the benefits.

SO my solution is, I force myself to drink it and just say to myself SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP. It's like a chore just like showering, brushing your teeth or laundry. You just HAVE to do it.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Celestial Seasonings Iced tea made this way: Pick a strongly flavoured tea like True Blueberry, Cinnamon Apple Spice, Lemon Zinger, etc. Put 3 bags in a heat proof pitcher, 2-3 litres boiling water over top. Leave in fridge overnight and there you have it. Real tasty no cal ice tea, or flavoured water if you dilute further. No sweetener needed because the flavour is awesome.
  • ShellyUmana
    Options
    I hate water. I really don't like to drink that much at all because it makes me pee almost instantly. I've spoken to several doctors about this and they said it's normal that some peoples bladders just are more active then others. I was also told that the 8 cup rule is a myth HOWEVER they still do recommend drinking water as much as possible because of all the benefits.

SO my solution is, I force myself to drink it and just say to myself SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP. It's like a chore just like showering, brushing your teeth or laundry. You just HAVE to do it.
    This made me smile... Yep I have know those people. You are right it really is that simple although showering and dental care are not things I have really felt are chores.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    You don't need to follow the guidelines for water consumption to lose weight. If you use the search feature on mfp you will find hundreds of threads about water. Some of them are quite funny. The bottom line is that it's just not necessary. If you're thirsty have a drink of what you like, and consider eating more lettuce or other fruits and vegetables that are mostly water. All the foods we eat contain water.

If you need to hydrate when you exercise and even then don't like to drink water, use lemon, make a pot of herbal tea and refrigerate it, add one of those powders you can buy that are designed for people like you who don't like water, or drink gatorade if you want.

My suggestion is not to worry too much a out it now. If this is all new to you, just focus on the basics: caloric intake, macros, and exercise if you choose to exercise.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Iced tea with no-calorie sweetener (rather have cancer than be fat right? lol)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    6e08649fb62030a9bb86849a518f2035d63e2b60d44f813e22e0688745da581c.jpg
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with my water intake, due to the fact I just don't like water. Does anyone know of anything that can be added to the water that is very low calorie and carb free so that it doesn't feel like such a chore to get my gallon a day in?

Not to promote any one product, but there is Mio and I believe there are others too. It's a flavoring that you squirt into the water.
  • lsigler5
    lsigler5 Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't like drinking water much either. I'm really bad about going an entire day and only drinking coffee, then switching to alcohol at night. Yikes! I pretty much have to tell myself to suck it up and drink those eight glasses too!

I will say- for some reason I LOVE cucumber water. A pitcher with an infuser is definitely a good investment for those of us who don't particularly enjoy drinking water.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I put tons of lemons in a big pitcher of water. Drink it all day.
  • linkirving
    linkirving Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this here: http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Soda, coffee, juice, soup, etc. all contribute to your daily hydration, as does the liquid present in a majority of fruits and vegetables. . . or even meats. There's nothing magical about 8 glasses a day, or about H2O that's been separated from other ingredients in terms of hydration.

Thank you. Something I always knew had to be true, but never bothered to search and find out.
  • DaniMarie180
    Options
    If you like citrus: I love the lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit from truelemon (dot) com. I buy the 100-count boxes and keep one at my office and one at home. Orange and lime are my favorites. These have 0 calories and definitely help me guzzle down the water!