WOW!!! Measurements do matter!!!

Options
Mommabeeto5
Mommabeeto5 Posts: 30 Member
I am 5'1 and weigh 124.5. I have been hitting the gym hard for 2 weeks doing cardio and weights 5 days a week. I have not lost ANY weight and I was getting discouraged! Well, I had my 2 week measurements done by my trainer and I have still not lost ANY weight but I have lost 3% body fat (29% down to 26%) and 6.5 inches overall! I am in shock!!!

Hurray, there IS hope, take measurements so you don't get discouraged :)

Replies

• RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Completely! I was getting really frustrated with the scale last week and one day decided to do some measurements. Lost 2 inches on my hips and 1/2 inch on my waist. Zipped up a pair of shorts that I couldn't two weeks ago. Then this week, FINALLY the scale showed me that too!

Congratulations and keep it going!!
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Amazing!! I'm in the same boat. No weight lost but did measurements today and had lost pretty much an inch all over :D
  • FlatTummyTrish
    FlatTummyTrish Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow it sounds great well done :) I'm doing cardio and strength too and I've noticed an increase in muscles so I'm looking forward to the time I notice a difference :)
  • sumthnncredible
    sumthnncredible Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I need to get an measuring tape, because the scale flatucation is out of control for me.
  • improvnmycurves16
    improvnmycurves16 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree. This week i've lost 0.6 but the results I see in my body are nice. People keep telling me not to trust the scale. lol good job.
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Trust the inches, the weight will follow. Keep up the good work and dont get discouraged.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    OF COURSE they do !

I may even be as bold to say : A whole HECK of a lot more than the scale.

I lost most of my weight in the first year. Got to my "goal" size of 12. Since then, I've lost relatively very little weight ( in fact gained a bit before trending back down) but am SMALLER. Solid size 8 and can squeeze into a 6 but EHHH - not comfy nor attractive - Ain't Nobody Got Time for That!

What I do have time for? Continuing to eat well, Train for body composition and overall fitness and ENJOY life.

Now .. Get After It ! ... and get yourself a tape measure : )
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I usually do mine around the end of the month, will be checking them this weekend. Weight loss has been very slow but I can definitely feel differences and my clothes are fitting much better.
  • Mommabeeto5
    Options
    I haven't noticed a difference in how my clothing fits but then again... I wear pants with waistbands that have a "stretch" to them (not true denim jeans). My trainer told me to put on some tight true denim jeans that have no stretch to them so I can actually see a difference in the next 2 weeks with how my clothes are fitting. I hope the scale follows soon. I am breastfeeding so I eat at least 2000 calories plus half of what a burn at the gym so I was afraid I was eating too much but now I know all my hard work and effort is paying off!!!
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I share your stats! I've been stuck at this weight for a while and was getting discouraged. But then I saw people I hadn't seen in a few weeks and they all kept asking if I lost more weight. Nope, I was the same, but lifting amd some cardio was totally reshaping my body. :) congrats on losing 3% BF...that's a great loss!
  • Mommabeeto5
    Options
    Here are my numbers for those wondering... I lost 1/2 pound on the scale BUT I Lost 4 pounds of fat and ADDED 3.5 pounds of muscle... (which explains only seeing a 1/2 pound lost).
  • Mommabeeto5
    Options
    Completely! I was getting really frustrated with the scale last week and one day decided to do some measurements. Lost 2 inches on my hips and 1/2 inch on my waist. Zipped up a pair of shorts that I couldn't two weeks ago. Then this week, FINALLY the scale showed me that too!

Congratulations and keep it going!!

That is awesome!!!
  • Mommabeeto5
    Options
    I share your stats! I've been stuck at this weight for a while and was getting discouraged. But then I saw people I hadn't seen in a few weeks and they all kept asking if I lost more weight. Nope, I was the same, but lifting amd some cardio was totally reshaping my body. :) congrats on losing 3% BF...that's a great loss!

I cant wait for that moment!!!
  • Mommabeeto5
    Options
    Well, Its been another 2 weeks and I came in at- 24% Body fat (2% loss). I weigh 123.2 (.8 lost,) which translates to losing 2.64#'s fat and gaining 1.8#'s muscle. I also lost 2 inches overall in the 2 week period.
    Is my loss going to start slowing down a lot or should I consistently lose around 2% body fat every 2 weeks?
  • jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    That's amazing progress!! How many calories are you netting? I am your same height, about the same weight. Not having any results!
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You don't have much body fat to lose, so I would expect it to slow down.

For anyone who doesn't know, the best place to buy a tape measure IMO is a sewing store. They are perfect and cost a buck or two!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Since you just started your muscles will be retaining water, which would be masking the fat you lost, and retention of water makes your BF% seem lower is using electric impedance devices.

So you did not gain 3lbs of muscle in 2 weeks, you gained 3 lbs of Lean body mass (most or all of which in this case would be water. 3 lbs of actual muscle would probably take 6 weeks+
  • pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    the one thing i regret was not taking my measurements when i started.

as i am not done, i know i should probably just do it, but i really wish i had the measurements from before.
  • pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    the one thing i regret was not taking my measurements when i started.

as i am not done, i know i should probably just do it, but i really wish i had the measurements from before.

way to go!
  • sjbtiger
    sjbtiger Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    For anyone who doesn't know, the best place to buy a tape measure IMO is a sewing store. They are perfect and cost a buck or two!
    Gaah, where were you a month ago when I was running around town to every fitness-type store and couldn't find a dang thing? I finally just ordered a tape off amazon.com and I do like it, but running by the fabric store would have been SO much easier and quicker.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!