First Step to Conquer Food Addiction (Support Needed)

Options
Hey all,

So the first thing I would like to say is hello, I am Jason. I am 29. And I am a food addict. I have been for the last 6 years. I can definitely pinpoint my weight gain to the summer of my last year of college. After my second failed relationship I just turned to food for comfort and it has all been down hill ever since. Now I am over 100 lbs over weight and ya, not happy.

I have tried every "diet" known to man from Medifast, HCG, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, etc and only recently realized not only was hopping from one to another getting me nowhere but actually fatter, but it wasn't teaching me anything. I realized I felt I was entitled to a quick fix, and for me to not only get healthy and get the body I have always wanted, I am going to have to put in the work. This isn't an eat this and lose weight but must be a complete lifestyle change, not just physical and mental.

Change is scary but I am done wasting time. I lost almost my entire 20s and I refuse to lose my 30s. I turn 30 November 28th this year and would like to be well on my way to success. I know it won't be easy but I no every day is a step in the right direction.

So...my fridge is cleaned out. Healthy is in. I am starting back at the gym and have Les Mills PUMP coming in the mail. I am also incorporating the Body by Vi shakes into my diet and doing their 90 Day Challenge and incorporating organic and clean whole foods.

Any friends or support would be appreciated. I am very nutritionally "retarded" and not sure what to set my macros to. I am 5'9, 262.2 lbs and looking to get to 165 as my goal.

Anyway, sorry for an entire life history! :) Feel free to add me as a friend on here :)

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The first step is realizing that there's no such thing as food addiction, and doing the work needed to learn moderation.
  • time4kim2014
    time4kim2014 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You sound very motivated, I think your 30th birthday will find you in the best shape of your life!
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes. There is such thing called food addiction. I have been addicted to food. Addiction to me meant I rather stay at home and eat instead of doing XYZ. It also meant eating while planning your next meal. Constantly thinking about food. Not being able to refuse food when offered. Being full and still looking for something to stuff my face with. Food, food, food, food... sigh

It is very hard to break the cycle, but doable. You are still young and you can do it. Take it slow, but keep at it. Be honest and log everything. Don't be too hard on yourself if you go over your calorie allowance from time to time. Just don't give up! :smile:
  • jmac1686
    jmac1686 Posts: 25
    Options
    I am very certain there is a thing as food addiction as I have lived with it for years. Now that is not the point of my post though, but I thank you for the opinion. Either way it is about moving forward and not looking back, right? :)
  • AndietheGreat13
    AndietheGreat13 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely an emotional eater! I finally realized that enough is enough time to change! Feel free to add me! :)
  • coconuttjd
    Options
    Save your money...

Start slowly and don't change your diet too drastically. The first step is moderation and understanding your addiction.

You turned to food as a comfort. I've been there. I am still recovering from eating to feel good.

I started with keeping the same foods in my diet with a few exceptions. I cut out fast foods, and not because they are so called bad for you. I cut out eating out, ordering in, and any form of convenient food service. The reason was simple... If i paid for it, i felt as if i had to finish it.

So, keeping otherwise the rest of my diet the same, i ate at home. I cut my portion size in half. I didn't start tracking calories until I'd already lost 30 lbs., but given how i was overeating, half my usual portions was still hefty.

Most important was my realization that exercise was not the weight loss mechanism, exercise is the coping mechanism. Exercise releases endorphins that your brain is already addicted to (comfort eating to feel good right?).

Put into that perspective, control your calorie intake and make yourself feel good on a daily basis by always doing at least a short workout. It should help you combat cravings. Also, portion control your normal foods and save money by not buying products designed to separate you from your money rather than your fat. The only caveat is if you have an unbalanced diet, increase proportionately the missing food group and decrease calories elsewhere. Example, if you lack vitamins and minerals, add some salads to your meals and decrease your starches or carbs by the calorie amount,
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes. There is such thing called food addiction. I have been addicted to food. Addiction to me meant I rather stay at home and eat instead of doing XYZ. It also meant eating while planning your next meal. Constantly thinking about food. Not being able to refuse food when offered. Being full and still looking for something to stuff my face with. Food, food, food, food... sigh

This is not food addiction. This is self medicating with food. There is a difference.

OP... same situation... but I wish you the best of luck.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Op., if you feel you have an addiction, then look into joining a 12 step program.
  • ELM70CA
    ELM70CA Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I am 43 and have been an emotional eater my entire life. Although I wouldn't say I am addicted to food, I do believe in food addiction.
  • MichelleMinus100
    Options
    In the past, I tried to make all the needed changes at once, and that was a set up for failure for me because I just couldn't create new habits all at once. I'd get discouraged because I couldn't keep all the balls juggling at the same time.

What has helped me is to make needed changes into habits before taking on something else. That has meant juggling two or three balls at once, instead of like ten!

The hard truth is that it takes time to make lasting lifestyle changes and create new habits. It can totally be done and you're motivated!

Two things that have helped me be more controlled with my eating:
    1-never allow myself to get hungry (once I'm hungry, I search for ANYTHING to satisfy, I try to eat a meal BEFORE I'm ravenous)
    2-eat food with high nutritional value (stay fuller longer)

You can do it!
  • hey_nikki
    hey_nikki Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Food addiction is as real as a heroin, alcohol, or any other addiction! One no worse than the other. Each one can kill you. I'm also turning 30 in 2014. My addiction has been around almost all of my life, and something I'll have to deal with for the rest of my life. I've tried all fo the diet/quick fixes as well, losing a bit and always gaining more back. The first tip I would give is to make small changes, and small goals. All or nothing doesn't seem to work, atleast for me... Moderation is key. Don't deprive yourself. If you want something, work it in. The mental aspect of this weightloss journey will be the most difficult. Physical benefits will come as an added bonus.

Change is definitely scary! As a self-sabotager I know this all too well. Good for you for taking the first step!

If Body by Vi works for you, thats awesome! I've tried it and added it to the list of failed attempts. Honestly its much less expensive to get a container of protein powder from a health food store or even walmart. Replacing meals didn't work for me, but I do incorporate protein powder into my plan. I couldn't sustain the "shake" plans because I need to chew... haha.

Tips...
    1. Start with small changes that are sustainable for a lifetime.
    2. Track food intake! Huge - we don't really know how much we're eating until we see it on paper/online diary, etc.
    3. Drink water! and a lot of it. Helps curb cravings and flush toxins.
    4. Move more. Even if its 5-10mins to start... increase as you go. You're still moving more than the person sitting on the couch...
    5. Research! knowledge is power and success.

Be the person you were too lazy to be yesterday

Good, Better, Best.
    Never let it rest,
    Until your Good is Better
    and your Better is BEST!

Couple quotes that keep me going! haha...

PS added you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Food addiction is as real as a heroin, alcohol, or any other addiction! One no worse than the other. Each on can kill you. I'm also turning 30 in 2014. My addiction has been around almost all of my life, and something I'll have to deal with for the rest of my life. I've tried all fo the diet/quick fixes as well, losing a bit and always gaining more back. The first tip I would give is to make small changes, and small goals. All or nothing doesn't seem to work, atleast for me... Moderation is key. Don't deprive yourself. If you want something, work it in. The mental aspect of this weightloss journey will be the most difficult. Physical benefits will come as an added bonus.

Change is definitely scary! As a self-sabotager I know this all too well. Good for you for taking the first step!

If Body by Vi works for you, thats awesome! I've tried it and added it to the list of failed attempts. Honestly its much less expensive to get a container of protein powder from a health food store or even walmart. Replacing meals didn't work for me, but I do incorporate protein powder into my plan. I couldn't sustain the "shake" plans because I need to chew... haha.

Tips...
    1. Start with small changes that are sustainable for a lifetime.
    2. Track food intake! Huge - we don't really know how much we're eating until we see it on paper/online diary, etc.
    3. Drink water! and a lot of it. Helps curb cravings and flush toxins.
    4. Move more. Even if its 5-10mins to start... increase as you go. You're still moving more than the person sitting on the couch...
    5. Research! knowledge is power and success.

Be the person you were too lazy to be yesterday

Good, Better, Best.
    Never let it rest,
    Until your Good is Better
    and your Better is BEST!

Couple quotes that keep me going! haha...

PS added you.

So is there a food detox where you don't eat any food? And what are the withdrawal systems of not eating any food?
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome Jason!! Stop doing the diets its not about that its "lifestyle change". Its something you have to do forever! Good luck you can and will do it. You can do anything you put your mind too! Trust me its worth it in the end!!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Food addiction is as real as a heroin, alcohol, or any other addiction! One no worse than the other. Each on can kill you.
    Food is essential to live, heroin and alcohol not so much. One way or another you'll have to eat again, so you'll have to learn to moderate your intake..
  • hey_nikki
    hey_nikki Posts: 17 Member
    Options

So is there a food detox where you don't eat any food? And what are the withdrawal systems of not eating any food?

"In humans, prolonged starvation can cause permanent organ damage and eventually, death."

Starvation would be considered a withdrawl symptom would it not? ... lol...

eric_sg61 - agreed!

The "food" part of the addiction usually isn't the life sustaining type.

For those interested...

http://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/information/food-addiction
  • wampahoofus
    wampahoofus Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is food addiction. I seem to eat just to entertain myself. Nothing to do? Eat some wings and drink a few beers! I love to eat! Here are some things I have done so far to reverse this:

- Find something I enjoy doing that is a least slighly physical and do this activity when I am about to eat for entertainment.
    - When tempted to go back for a second helping, I say to myself, "I will be able to eat again tomorrow. No need for more today." Today is not the last day for you to eat.
    - I got to like fruits and vegetables. Most non-starchy vegetables are very low in calories. Large helpings of vegetables have helped satisfy my desire to eat a large helping of food. Eat more, just low calorie foods!
    - Drink black, unsweetend tea. Hot or iced, tea satisfies my desire to have a beverage with flavor without sugar or fat.

One warning: When you start eating large quantities of vegetables, you will feel kind of bloated at first. I suppliemented with a pro-biotic to adjust my flora and this seemed to help.
  • dintentions3
    dintentions3 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    anyone who says there is no such thing as food addiction,obviously hasnt dealt with it. we can get addicted to ANYTHING,it doesnt HAVE to be drugs or alcohol. whatever you are turning to and doing too much of in order to cope with hard times is an addiction. its hard and im trying too. stay strong
  • Courtshorr
    Courtshorr Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I LOVE FOOD.... I admit it. :D
    But I still was able to lose 160 pounds and I know you can too! It takes motivation and support.... but ANYONE can do it! I promise!
    Please add me and we can help keep each other.... and anyone else who wants to accountable! It is a HARD journey.... but totally worth it!