Sirloin calories

Options
DebSM2
DebSM2 Posts: 62 Member
Planning a dinner out at the Texas Roadhouse. Their online menu lists a 6 oz. sirloin at 200 calories. Looking at other listings on MFP this is way on the low end of the spectrum. Would you go with the website?

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Roadhouse's sirloins are 100% trimmed. Look up "top sirloin-trimmed to 0% fat" and compare it to roadhouses values. If they don't add any fat in cooking (and they may not) it may be pretty close.

There is a HUGE difference in calories when you take the time to trim visible fat on steak if you are so inclined to.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Roadhouse's sirloins are 100% trimmed. Look up "top sirloin-trimmed to 0% fat" and compare it to roadhouses values. If they don't add any fat in cooking (and they may not) it may be pretty close.

There is a HUGE difference in calories when you take the time to trim visible fat on steak if you are so inclined to.

I would have to agree here - now go look up rib eye with all that fat marbling throughout I bet it's way higher. Sirloin is a good lean cut and if trimmed of all fat and if they grill it, I would say it's a good choice.

I do love a good ribeye though :blushing:
  • _John_
    Options

I would have to agree here - now go look up rib eye with all that fat marbling throughout I bet it's way higher. Sirloin is a good lean cut and if trimmed of all fat and if they grill it, I would say it's a good choice.

I do love a good ribeye though :blushing:

even a fat trimmed ribeye isn't "bad" as far as calories go. Waste of some flavor, but on a calorie budget you can make it work. There's a lot of foods I'd rather eat than beef fat.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Planning a dinner out at the Texas Roadhouse. Their online menu lists a 6 oz. sirloin at 200 calories. Looking at other listings on MFP this is way on the low end of the spectrum. Would you go with the website?

Just follow what the website says... to be honest your consistency in other things that you can control will make the greatest impact on your overall success... If you continue eating healthy and exercising, eating out now and again within reason is beneficial, dont stress too much and enjoy! this is your treat meal right? as long as you are consistent IT WILL BALANCE ITSELF OUT... goodluck! ;)
  • DebSM2
    Options
    Didn't know about the trimming. Thanks! Yeah, the values start low like 200 calories per 6 ounces and go to over twice that.

The ribeye is significantly higher, but I will still be able to fit a nice little amount instead of sirloin depending on what I drink!

Thanks for the info!
  • scottjoh
    scottjoh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Looking at some other nutrition sites and they are agreeing that a 6 oz. sirloin is 386 calories.
  • _John_
    Options
    Looking at some other nutrition sites and they are agreeing that a 6 oz. sirloin is 386 calories.

I agree, but then that's typically a raw value, then you get into the guessing game of how much fat leaches out during cooking....

fwiw to the OP I always find it "feels" like my calories are overestimated when I eat a lot of grilled steak. It never "feels" like I ate that much when I go to log it.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Id treat it as 400. 200 seems way too low for me. If you have to cut a side ditch the bread if it comes with it.
  • DebSM2
    Options
    MFP has an ounce of trimmed sirloin at 33 calories so that would jive with the 200/ 6 oz

ETA that on livestrong.com, 3 ounces of trimmed sirloin is 155... Doesn't state raw or cooked though. Is it standard to list it cooked or not?

ETA again, that would be for broiled...didn't read carefully.
  • _John_
    Options
    MFP has an ounce of trimmed sirloin at 33 calories so that would jive with the 200/ 6 oz

ETA that on livestrong.com, 3 ounces of trimmed sirloin is 155... Doesn't state raw or cooked though. Is it standard to list it cooked or not?

ETA again, that would be for broiled...didn't read carefully.

6 oz broiled is a decent bit more than 6 oz raw. just more mud for the water of "correctness".
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    There is no way a 6 oz. steak is 200 calories.

Fat secret has it listed with a google search
    Sirloin Steak (6 oz)
    Per 1 steak - Calories: 386kcal | Fat: 28.00g | Carbs: 0.00g | Protein: 32.00g

Sirloin tips are one of the leanest cuts of beef and it is still 43 calories an ounce roasted without oil. Top sirloin is not the same cut.

Wow, this is criminal..
    They have a 16 oz. ribeye for. 960 cal. Probably nothing illegal about what they are doing is what irks me.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of foods I'd rather eat than beef fat.

Pork fat, duck fat
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

Wow, this is criminal..
    They have a 16 oz. ribeye for. 960 cal. Probably nothing illegal about what they are doing is what irks me.

What is criminal? The restaurant claiming a 6 oz steak is 200 cal?
  • AwesomeGuy37
    Options

Wow, this is criminal..

What is criminal? The restaurant claiming a 6 oz steak is 200 cal?

Their whole menu. A 16 oz. ribeye is closer to 1300 calories. You quoted what I said..don't know why you ask the question.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,963 Member
    Options

Sirloin Steak (6 oz)

Sirloin tips are one of the leanest cuts of beef and it is still 43 calories an ounce roasted without oil. Top sirloin is not the same cut.

Wow, this is criminal..
    Nutrition data has 6 oz at 240 cals..........and what exactly are they doing that you disagree with.....that they offer a 16oz rib eye?
  • AwesomeGuy37
    Options

Sirloin Steak (6 oz)

Wow, this is criminal..
    Nutrition data has 6 oz at 240 cals..........and what exactly are they doing that you disagree with.....that they offer a 16oz rib eye?

A restaurant is going to "dry cook" your steak and it is going to be 40 calories under your source? okay.
    This: http://www.texasroadhouse.com/menu/interactive-menu#!hand-cut-steaks
    The OP is getting the info from here.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,963 Member
    Options

Sirloin Steak (6 oz)

Wow, this is criminal..

A restaurant is going to "dry cook" your steak and it is going to be 40 calories under your source? okay.
    Sure, if you say so.