focusing on my health and NOT a relationship..help

Options
Im not sure if this is appropriate for "myfitnesspal" BUT it does involve my health and weight in a big way. Ive been in a relationship with a man for over a year but i recently ended it with him for a few different reasons.. one big one is that when im in a serious relationship,I tend to neglect other things. I have gained 50 lbs in the last year and half mostly bc my lifelong fight with depression has worsened and I just sort of gave up in the "taking care of myself" department. I have so much to work on in my life right now (i.e. finding the right medication to help me get through my depression/bipolar, losing 50 lbs, getting active again, etc) I just dont have time to give my health and my daughter my ALL, and be in a relationship that i was doing most of the work in. I guess im just looking for support to not go running back when i feel alone and inevitably let my health go in the meantime. we are both open to trying to get our lives together seperately and maybe coming back together when both of us are in a position to be in a relationship. I need to know that getting my own life together before i share it with someone else, is indeed the right thing to do. not to mention i DO NOT like to have sex when im so grossed out by my own body. any support would be appreciated. :)

Replies

• momofgilliam4
    Options
    Of course YOU are the priority!! You are of no good to anyone else (your child or a man) if you are not taking care of yourself! I can completely relate to depression issues. I have mild depression/anxiety and have for years. Get the help you need. Find the right means to treat it - whether it be medically or holistically - and do it. Plan and simple. YOU are the priority.

It's hard when you are a parent sometimes. I know I have taken care of everything and everyone around me, letting myself go. All that did was make me fat, tired and more depressed. I am still at the start of my journey, so I can't say that I have all of that in the rear-view mirror just yet - but my attitude has completely shifted.

Take a deep breath, find a professional to talk to and get on with fixing yourself. You are so worth it - and whatever happens after that is... well, it just is.

First things first.

Georgia
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Happiness comes from within, get yourself in the position where you are happy with yourself and the direction your life is taking, if it's meant to be with him, you will end up together, if not, then at least you have parted in a positive and healthy manner and still like each other. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • freewilly75
    Options
    I applaude you for knowing what you need and making the necessary changes. Trust yourself and continue to seek support.
  • dintentions3
    dintentions3 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    thanks guys. hearing that does motivate me to stay on track...